Dungeons - Review @ PC Gamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A few readers have been enthused with Dungeons so head over to PC Gamer for a review. The score is 77% and here's a snip:
Some games wear their inspirations on their sleeves. Dungeons wears a Dungeon Keeper T-shirt, drives a red and black car with a ‘I heart Dungeon Keeper’ sticker on it, and visits a plastic surgeon every Tuesday to ask if he’s ready to give it that Horned Reaper look it so badly wants. Just look at it. If it was any more of a copycat, you’d hear it meow. Except…
Against the odds, Dungeons actually turns out to be its own game too. The biggest difference is that your underground empire is now a dedicated hero farm, built specifically to draw do-gooders into your clutches and harvest Soul Energy from them. When they first enter, they’re worthless. By sprinkling all the gold, treasure and monsters they can handle in their path, their Soul Energy bar gets nice and juicy, and only then do you drop the hammer on them – before they escape home with your treasure. Soul Energy buys Prestige, and Prestige unlocks new toys that help harvest more Soul Energy, helping you upgrade your dungeon to take on tougher heroes and assignments.
More information.

Hmmmm.... German strategy game with lots of micromanaging.... <drool>

I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of any folks who may have gotten it today. Thinking about this release made me get Dungeon Keeper 2, which I'd never played before. Not far in yet but digging it. :p

I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of any folks who may have gotten it today. Thinking about this release made me get Dungeon Keeper 2, which I'd never played before. Not far in yet but digging it. :p

If you want it because of DK2, you won't like it. Marketers pushed it as a 'sequel' to DK2 when it fact, it's anything but. This is a tower defense game. The only similarity to DK2 is that you're in a dungeon. That's basically the main reason of why a lot of people have done bad reviews on it, because it wasn't like DK2.

The gaming media as a whole has hailed this game as the next DK. What I've seen of previews and interviews w/ Kalypso themselves however, they've repeatedly made it clear that the core gameplay is different. For instance I was kinda disappointed in the news that monsters (er creatures, for the politically correct) just hang around spawn points instead of training,eating, sleeping, living laughing and loving life in my dungeon.

I'm breaking my unholy vow to wait til the full game is released and downloading the demo now (at a horrendous 150k a sec) since I've joined the ranks of the people who havent even played the game but are eager to blab about it like I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Heh, yeah, I'll grab the demo (Glad they put one out in English), if I ever pull of the increasingly frustrating task of getting my Russian version of The Precursors to run. :p

Back
Top Bottom