Mass Effect 3 - New content will offer "more clarity"

Dhruin

SasqWatch
BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka has posted an open letter to fans, responding to the Mass Effect 3 endings controversy. Get your wallet ready - more content is promised that will apparently offer "more clarity". A further announcement will come in April. Unsurprisingly, the Mass Effect saga isn't over with Muzyka signalling a new game is also in the works:
As co-founder and GM of BioWare, I’m very proud of the ME3 team; I personally believe Mass Effect 3 is the best work we’ve yet created. So, it’s incredibly painful to receive feedback from our core fans that the game’s endings were not up to their expectations. Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics – but out of respect to our fans, we need to accept the criticism and feedback with humility. [...]
To that end, since the game launched, the team has been poring over everything they can find about reactions to the game – industry press, forums, Facebook, and Twitter, just to name a few. The Mass Effect team, like other teams across the BioWare Label within EA, consists of passionate people who work hard for the love of creating experiences that excite and delight our fans. I’m honored to work with them because they have the courage and strength to respond to constructive feedback.
Building on their research, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey. You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we’ve received. This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.
If you haven't had enough of this:

More information.

Here is a riddle maybe somebody can solve it-

Which is worse? Complainers or compounded complainers that complain about the complainers complaining?

Solve that and you win a nice prize.:p

Dr. Ray Muzyka's post merely says that content will be created to answer questions and provide more clarity, and not that they are changing the ending. So stop acting like this is some major blow to artistic integrity.

I forgot this is the internet were everyone from every side always blow things out of proportion. I hated the endings myself and didn't demand change. I also can see why others are mad and want closure or changed endings.

Last edited:
@JDR13
I doubt it. Sounds like typical corporate double talk, trying to spin some positive PR while promising exactly nothing. Note how (in the full letter) he manages to downplay fans, while mentioning the critical appraisal (and that gaming journalists objectivity is highly questionable, he skips). It's "we pretend we care so you still boy our products" to me.
Wouldn't mind being surprised, of course.

There's only one question I have after reading this.....and that is, how much. How much will the new finish cost the player? What a joke.

-Carn

I doubt it. Sounds like typical corporate double talk, trying to spin some positive PR while promising exactly nothing. Note how (in the full letter) he manages to downplay fans, while mentioning the critical appraisal (and that gaming journalists objectivity is highly questionable, he skips). It's "we pretend we care so you still boy our products" to me.
Wouldn't mind being surprised, of course.

I just hope that "more clarity" means they're simply expanding a few things to fill in plot holes, not actually changing the ending altogether just to please the people who didn't like it.

I just hope that "more clarity" means they're simply expanding a few things to fill in plot holes, not actually changing the ending altogether just to please the people who didn't like it.

I agree completely with JDR.

I think it's way too early to make any assumptions. What he actually said was so vague, that it could mean just about anything.
Honestly, even if they indeed "add to" the ending, I don't expect more than just a text, which will probably be ambiguous too. The game even started with a text, remember?

And for the rest... it was always a fact, that they would release DLC for ME3 as long as people would keep buying it - so at least for a year. Just like they did with ME2. And of course all those DLCs will be normal missions taking place before the end we've already seen, so... :|

Read that they were planning on having future mass effect games take place before or during the events of ME3, hope they've changed it since. I'd much rather have them pick a canonical ending to ME3 and then have you play as a spectre in a "fresh" galaxy.

Seems like were beating a dead horse and the watch is riding this with glee.

The vendor should have the stones, er, sorry… artistic integrity, to stick with their creative product, even if the fans don't like it. If they wimp out and coddle the fans, they'll just lose respect.

Last edited:
I don't know what planet you two have been living on; but here on earth, its been Bioware who has said over and over and over and over again that Bioware cares about their fans opinions; that Bioware wants to hear the fan's opinions; that this particular game series, Mass Effect, has been a joint fan/developer effort.

Bioware is absolutely entitled to adopt a "Our customers can F*** O**" policy. Plenty of other businesses have ridden that horse, all the way to the final failure of their businesses.

"We're special. We're artists. We don't need customers." A truly brilliant, artsy-smartsy strategy…

__

Last edited:
It definitely needs clarification, because right now we don't know if..
the whole galaxy was destroyed or not. That's a pretty big difference. Based on the DLC Arrival, we know for a fact that destroying a relay will unleash enough energy to destroy everything in a solar system. At the end of ME3, Shepard seems to destroy every single relay. Which means he not only blew up the Reapers, but every living being in the known galaxy. At least where there is or has been intelligent life. That's pretty grim. I'd really like to know how they intend to get around that one.

The other ending that's being tossed around is that the Reapers won because Shepard got indoctrinated. Either way, we need clarification as to which grim ending is true. The galaxy being dead as a doornail or simply every space faring species.

Pathetic. These folks truly have no shame.

So let me get this straight.

You release a game, charge 50 dollars / euros for it, and when the buyer reaches what should be the ending, you go "What, you thought this was the REAL ending? Hold your horses son, we have DLC to release, y u in such a hurry, trolololol..."?

How awesome, a most glorious era awaits us. I "can't wait" to see what Activision, Ubisoft and the other publishers will do with this "genius" marketing strategy.

Same here. The drama seemed to kind of snowball to an absurd level with people filing FTC claims, etc., over the ending to a video game.
Mob mentality among a group of people who were drawn together by the lure of unapologetic melodrama?

What could possibly go wrong with a rampaging group of drama queens, eh? :)

Is still fascinating to watch from the sidelines, though. I personally find myself watching bioware itself through the same lens as I view their characters in the games they make these days: actors on a stage, but not ones I'm personally involved with or emotionally invested in. Am very curious to see how all this turns out.

Honestly, what's the difference to this thread?
People backing up each other on the topic that the "other side" is <fill-in-whatever>?

As I said before, there is a LOT of elaborate reading to be found on this topic. Either agree or disagree is not the point being but generalizing is (which I'm probably guilty of as well).

Yet, least to me it seems that way, few bother to differentiate. Furthermore it does at least look like that most main stream gaming press is following this trend as well. Much is simple belittling the other side of the fence through generalizing and not bothering even the slightest to actually put in some thought and engage in a reasonable argumentation. Not to forget the polarizing which is bordering to satire in some cases.

But in the end this makes it easy to play the customer base. A good thing, no?

Back
Top Bottom