JA: Back in Action - Trailer @ RPS

Am I the only one looking forward to this game?

I saw this video a while back, but now seems like a good chance to share it with those who may not have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZkkIW9rKrM

Wish I paid more attention in German class to understand what they're saying, but it's also a pretty nice gameplay demonstration. Maybe I've missed some news on this one, but I didn't realize it had such a tasty menu of autopause options, which you can see in English at approximately 6:25. No "pause every turn," a la BG2, that I would like, but this menu coupled with manual pause should leave me in pretty decent shape.

I remember reading enemies would be visible across the entire map at all times, but proper line of sight seems to be in. Note the options to autopause when a player spots an enemy and when an enemy spots a player. In the outdoors, a couple of enemies do appear to pop into view due to line of sight. Also, at the end of the video, a player character goes down a ladder and runs into an enemy machine gunner, who destroys the player before he can scrabble back up the ladder.

Looked like some decent character stats, inventory and recruitment. Also saw overhead damage numbers. All of that and the strategic overview map all looked pretty reminiscent of JA2 to me, though it has been a while since I played it.

Captain, they can't have pause every turn, because then it would be like turn-based, and no one plays turn-based games anymore.

I'm keeping an eye on the game but am being cautious based what ive seen. JA2 is one of my top 3 favorite games of all time. Those are hard expectations to live up to. I can handle RT with pause but its not the same. If the AI is ok I can overlook a lot of transgresions against the franchise.

I had a private showing of this (clearly a ALPHA build) at last springs PAX East. It looked pretty good and interested me enough that I am prob going to get it on Steam. They really seemed passionate about this game and I give them credit for that.

It's a launch day purchase for me...just hope it won't make me dissapointed, the videos and what they've said so far certainly is enough to get my hopes up. I usually really like these sort of games, where you can pause and then que up different orders, and then see your plans acted out in real-time. That's probably the only time I appreciate real-time in tactical games.

Back
Top Bottom