Frontiers - Pending Interview - Input Requested.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I have been given the opportunity to interview Lars Simkins; Creator & Developer of the successful kickstarter & Steam greenlit Frontiers!

I am requesting input, questions, ideas, etc. Anything you've ever wanted to ask this guy. He has ran a very open kickstarter campaign and has kept backers in the loop. One of the rare campaigns that has regular & honest updates. Brutally honest.

Check out the trailer here.
Please PM me or post on this thread anything you can think of.

Interview will happen second week of August.

More information.

I'm always interested in the view of the developer for crowd-funding.

So please ask ask him to describe how he felt during both funding campaigns as he failed on Indiegogo, and ended up being successful on Kickstarter.

Also see if he has any advice for small indie developers?

Last edited:
The problem here is he updates the project so frequently and with so many details to me it's impossible to think on something I'd ask about the game so fast. :(

Maybe a question about him then?
Tea or coffee. :D

To me it looks like it's very exploration and sandbox centric. I am wondering if they are aware of the problem games like skyrim for example have, where the story feels completely secondary and not immersive. What are they doing to make the story thrilling and interesting? And how do they tackle the balance between storytelling and exploration/sandbox? And do they even consider it being a problem?

The problem here is he updates the project so frequently and with so many details to me it's impossible to think on something I'd ask about the game so fast. :(
Same here

What about asking what he thinks of doing a future Frontiers-like game in a sci-fi setting?

I will also have to agree.He did good job in updates so everything about the game has been covered already.

So I would ask few questions about crowdfunding itself:

1.What do you think about released crowdfunded games so far, has crowdfunding lived up to expectations?
2.What is your favorite crowdfunded game so far?
3.What is your most anticipated regularly funded game and crowdfunded game?

He's inspired by Daggerfall.

So my question:
What features does Daggerfall have, that are missed/under-represented in today's games?

I'm really looking forward to this game as exploring is often one of my favorite aspects of game like Elder Scrolls and Gothic/Risen titles. I wonder, what real world locations did he use to inspire Frontiers? Did he do any traveling as part of his design research?

Thanks for the questions so far via email/PM. Feel free to send more now that Ryan has been added to the list.

Questions:

- Can you compare the design and gameplay of Frontiers to other open worlds like Skyrim? What are main differences, advantages and disadvantages?

- Its hard to fill big worlds with meaningful content without too much generic stuff and repeating. How do you want to achieve that goal - suprise player and make it fresh?

- Is your world mostly wilderness or is it balanced using both wild and habitated areas?

- How much effort do you put into a story? Does it have minor role (just an excuse for exploring) or do you plan to make it important (progressive) to tie whole experience up?

- There is one sentence in your concept - "could someone else follow him into the untamed frontier". Does it mean that NPCs are more dynamic and may travel bigger distances?

- How many survival elements? Do you plan to make the whole experience harsh?

- Should we expect some special interactive objects in game world?

- How important will be crafting?

- What are the most common mistakes in contemporary RPGs in your opinion?

- What do you think about recent gaming trends like KS campaigns, F2P, forced online components, streamlining (dumbing down), over-the-top action/gore…?

- Fan question - your favorite RPGs? :)

This game's major focus is exploration yet there's quite a few writers involved in this game. Stories are (mostly) pretty linear but exploration is extremely non-linear. So how does that work out?

Fan question - your favorite RPGs? :)
That's got to be THE most dangerous question in all gaming! Better explain his rights as an interviewee before asking that so he understands that he doesn't have to answer. ;)

I haven't been following this, but if his inspiration is Daggerfall, does he have Holidays and other special days where something in the game changes? For instance, Saint Patrick's Day might be a day when beer is free at the taverns or Memorial Day is a day when soldier's gear is cheap, etc. Halloween would be a very dangerous day to be near cemetaries or out after dark.

Back
Top Bottom