Games Similar to King's Bounty?

Age of Wonders... That's another in the vein of Fantasy Wars. Very expensive at online retailers (unless you just get the jewel case).

@JDR, that's a great deal. I do love my printed manuals and charts though....

@coaster

Ascension to the Throne looks good! About a $20 download from amazon or 1C. Looks like the hard copies are very expensive though...

Thrasher, there was also a follow-up/add on to ATTT called Valkyrie, available at the Strategy First shop: http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/games/AscensionValkyrie/ Haven't played it yet though.

ATTT has a difficult start, but once you get going I found it a bit easier than KB and I steamed through the game rather quickly. I had fun with it, but not quite up to KB standards.

The usual trick I use for HoMM games is:
- Start by building the first 'money' expansion in town first day (since money is added daily). After that, build a unit builder each day up to day 6, then on day 7 build the fortress type expansion (that adds # of all units you'll be able to recruit on day 8).
- Buy a second hero as soon as possible, transfer all his units except 1 of the fastest one to your main hero, and use this 2nd hero to gather resources, and the main hero to battle.
That's pretty much it to start, the rest is just tactics and depends on each map.

Sigh...I know. I've tried that. Curses, you are going to make me try it again ;) I have it on my laptop (along with Fantasy Wars) and will start it up as soon as I install Windows 7...one less thing to back up. I'll come crying to y'all when I start it up, ok?? :biggrin:

@coaster, I saw the ":Valkyrie" versions of ATTC. Wasn't clear to me if they are different from the original or an expansion, or… Both, by the way, were hard find as physical copies and expensive!

Last edited:
Re: Elven Legacy—yeah, I kept waiting for the price to come down but it seemingly won't. Gamersgate has the download for $30 and the three expansions for ten bucks each. I picked up a hard copy here at NWS for 24.95 and it comes with a free gamersgate dl version code so you can buy the download-only expansions and merge them. They also have a hard copy of Fantasy Wars for 14.95
http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/fantasywars.html
(I've never had any trouble buying from them—in fact they're where I got my replacement copy of Planescape special ordered, also.)

I fail at life, I couldn't win a single battle in the Kings Bounty demo. Even the shrooms were killing me. How did I manage to finish ToEE and I can't win a single basic battle in KB??? Major failure!

Seconds on Battle for Wesnoth--should have thought of that first, since it's free, and it's also constantly being updated.

@Todd--try playing a different class. In the demo, there's no difficulty setting I don't think(?) but a mage has a far harder time than a pally or warrior. Make sure the hex grid is on, too. You can do it. :)

All this talk of turn based strategy games makes me want to pull out the HoMM series again, so I can experience Enroth, Erathia and so on once more. Truly a brilliant series, along with MM6-8 (set in the same universe with much of the same story). The world, characters and overall story was actually quite captivating.

Man, New World Computing and Van Caneghem really knew what they were doing back then.

If you like turn-based anyway : There's a game out there called "Incubation", and then there's the "Battle Isle Saga", of which Incubation was kind of a spin-off.This Saga was very popular here in Germany, once.

Incubation is cool - one wrong move and you're doomed ;)

Yes, indeed. That's why I gave it up so long ago. ;)

But it still sits there on my shelf.

Back
Top Bottom