The Bard's Tale IV - Kickstarter on the 2nd of June

Bard's Tale 1-2 were fun but VERY combat heavy dungeon crawls… The kind of game you loved for the first few hours, but it got old fast due to the repetitive nature of the game (draw your map, take two or three steps, 20 minute battle, repeat). By the time Bard's Tale 3 was released, it was outclassed by better games such as Might & Magic and Dungeon Master, no doubt heavily inspired by The Bard's Tale.

Nevertheless, I'm happy with the job Brian Fargo and his crew did with Wasteland 2, so count me in for another boxed collector's edition. :)

Like others, BT was one of my earliest gaming experiences on the old C-64. How well I remember spinning my code wheels for Thief of Fate; wonder if they'll bring that back LOL!! I shall definitely support this venture if only for the sake of nostalgia which at my age is all I have left!!!! :)

Never played the originals but I will pledge here. InXile really delivered with Wasteland 2 and I'm sure Torment will be excellent as well.

Insta pledge. Will go for a boxed collectors if available.

I'm curious what they'll do with it, and I'm sure they're too smart to go 1:1 with the archaic designs from the mid 80s.

That said, I'm far from convinced it'll turn out to be special.

I liked Wasteland 2 well enough, but it didn't really impress me on any level.

Then again, I've felt the same way about all these fan-service nostalgia-driven titles.

I'm in wait-and-see mode too. I never played the originals, so no nostalgia-induced hype for me, and I'm no fan of the grid-based stuff (like Grimrock) either. We'll see.

If the pitch is decent enough, I might pledge; mostly to show support though.

Bards Tale is nothing like Grimrock or Eye of the Beholder. The fights are not real time and there is strategy involved. Bards Tale even had ranged combat where the battles started far away and you were not in melee combat.

Bards Tale is nothing like Grimrock or Eye of the Beholder. The fights are not real time and there is strategy involved. Bards Tale even had ranged combat where the battles started far away and you were not in melee combat.

Ah, it's not? People were comparing it to Grimrock though?

I'm very pleased to hear an update on this, thanks for posting Myrthos!

I'll absolutely be pledging day one regardless of the pitch; I think Brian wants to do this project properly and one can sense how much it matters to him as an IP.

Also, I'd invite old school Bard's Tale fans to vote on our Watch poll for your favorite Bard's Tale if you haven't already done so. Currently seeing the god-awful non-sequel Dark Alliance-derived action game at the head of the pack simply doesn't compute in my book. :D

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27437

Looking at the last Bard's Tale, I'm having a hard time detecting how much Brian cares about the IP :)

If you read recent interviews, watch Matt Chat with Brian Fargo, read his twitter etc, I think it's reasonably evident that he is genuine about wanting to revisit Bard's Tale by making a modern sequel. I'm certainly looking forward to the 2nd of June and seeing exactly what he and InXile have in mind at any rate. :)

The Bard's Legacy lives on! *goes off to fill his wine-skin and gets ready to over generously tip the barkeep*.

If you read recent interviews, watch Matt Chat with Brian Fargo, read his twitter etc, I think it's reasonably evident that he is genuine about wanting to revisit Bard's Tale by making a modern sequel. I'm certainly looking forward to the 2nd of June and seeing exactly what he and InXile have in mind at any rate. :)

The Bard's Legacy lives on! *goes off to fill his wine-skin and gets ready to over generously tip the barkeep*.

Maybe he's just genuinely excited by making money off of it :)

The first three Bards Tale games were before my PC gaming days. But I love Brian Fargo and Wasteland 2 has definitely been worth it for me. I am sure I will once again be a backer. Can't wait to see the pitch!

I'm in favor of the game, just not pre-paying. I'll be a buyer unless it really stinks :) I bought Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, and many others that I didn't back. I may wait for a sale or I may not. I was going to wait on Witcher 3, but I ended up buying it a couple days ago on Gog, and it's pre-loaded and waiting for me. I probably won't play it yet; I'm in the middle of MM6 and still enjoying it.

Looking at the last Bard's Tale, I'm having a hard time detecting how much Brian cares about the IP :)

The game is far from bad and really only gets spurned by people who wanted a full fledged deep RPG sequel. It's not sloppily executed.

I think Fargo genuinely cares about making good games in the RPG genre and this one certainly won't be an exception. I think hiring authentic Gallic music talent is one evidence for the care that will be put into this product.

It's definitely not a kickstarter for anyone who wants true innovation, and probably not for anyone who wants a story heavy game. But then those people are already served with Tides of Numenera.

Ah, it's not? People were comparing it to Grimrock though?

The grimrock has real time combat and this probably it will have a phased-based (like the Wizardry).I guess, they are comparing it with Grimrock and MMIX because there is not a better suitable contemporary alternative. After All, these are sub-genre of a sub-genre (real -time blobbers vs turn-based blobbers)

I would hope the combat is more like Wizardry than, say, Grimrock, but even if it is not, it will not stop me from pledging. Either way, another Bard's Tale is coming our way, making us all winners.

Back
Top Bottom