Fallout 4 - New Trailer and the Graphics Technology

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
A new gameplay trailer for Fallout 4 has just been released.

In addition Eye spotted an article about the graphics technology of the game on the Bethesda site.

The first thing we did after Skyrim was to enhance the Creation Engine’s graphical core by adding a physically based deferred renderer. This new renderer allows us to add many more dynamic lights to every scene, and paint our surfaces with realistic materials. We want objects and characters in the world to feel tactile and grounded, and a big part of that is ensuring that these materials are distinct – that metal reflects light in a distinct manner from wood, for example.

As always, our world features fully dynamic time of day and weather. To create that volumetric light spilling across the scene (sometimes called “god rays”) we worked with our friends at NVIDIA, who’ve we worked with dating back to Morrowind’s cutting-edge water. The technique used here runs on the GPU and leverages hardware tessellation. It’s beautiful in motion, and it adds atmospheric depth to the irradiated air of the Wasteland. Like all the other features here, we’ve made it work great regardless of your platform.

Here’s a sampling of what we’ve added to the latest version of the Creation Engine:

• Tiled Deferred Lighting
  • Temporal Anti-Aliasing
  • Screen Space Reflections
  • Bokeh Depth of Field
  • Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
  • Height Fog
  • Motion Blur
  • Filmic Tonemapping
  • Custom Skin and Hair Shading
  • Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation
  • Volumetric Lighting
  • Gamma Correct Physically Based Shading
More information.

nerdgasm!

Not that I care much, but I think hair is done much better in The Witcher 3. Even with the improvements, hair seems like one piece in Fallout 4 instead of individual strands.

meh is still ugly, walking animations are clunky and i dont even want to speculate on the quality of the main storyline

All those effects sound great, but I'm not actually seeing much of an improvement over Skyrim or even Fallout 3.

All those effects sound great, but I'm not actually seeing much of an improvement over Skyrim or even Fallout 3.

Me either to be honest. This has no bearing at all on my enjoyment of the new game, but it is technically inferior to several games that are already out. A modded Skyrim can blow Fallout 4 out of the water graphically. It is weird that modders can make an engine look better than developers....

You don't find them, they find you! Hmmmmm, where have I heard that before ???

Can't find much wrong with walking this time, unlike previous Bethesda games. But light/shadows on characters and their faces still seems a bit unnatural.

pibbur who in general looks forward to FO4. But who can wait - until next week, that is.

Me either to be honest. This has no bearing at all on my enjoyment of the new game, but it is technically inferior to several games that are already out. A modded Skyrim can blow Fallout 4 out of the water graphically. It is weird that modders can make an engine look better than developers….

I admit I am not very good at paying attention to details, but I find it difficult to evaluate technical merits of a game based on a Youtube video. (To be honest, some times not while playing the game either).

pibbur whose enjoyment, like the 'nut says, won't be affected by possible technical underachievements. Unless it's significant.

Its a line said in every other B action movie

it also tells alot about quality of Bethesda writers

One sentence tells you that?

pibbur who finds writing in in almost all games to be lacking (he compares them to books).

Don't care what anyone else says. I'm going to enjoy the shit out of this game.

Sorry but I actually see improvements.
Perhaps because I didn't use mods (except SkyUI)?
Worry not, I bet the day FO4 is released there will be a bunch of graphics mods that'll make hyperrealistic visuals. And I still won't use any of those.

Honestly, I never played Fallout games because of graphics.

To Bethesda:
Stop bragging and crap, release the damned game already.

Graphics aren't everything, of course, and I expect I'll have some fun with this, but I do wish Bethesda would invest in significantly upgrading their engine. The character models and lighting really do look very dated to me, and I'm only seeing small incremental improvements from much older games. From a modding point of view, it's painfully clunky to work with, too.

I think we might be at the point where their calculation that it's not worth the time and money for a next-gen engine could start to bite them.

This trailer wasn't very impressive. I hope I am able to get more fun from this game than the time waiting for it to download.

"He who claims that war never changes
Can never claim victory over his enemies".
-Sun Tzu

Eh, this doesn't look half bad...graphically, at least.
Bigger issue will be I think, animations, AI, lyp sinc, how much effort Bethesda has put in characters and quest design, good voice acting. etc.
After Wild Hunt, Bethesda will probably be criticized more for what they've been receiving a free pass in the past...but still, building your own settlement can prove a big asset to the game, if they decide to focus on more specific "build" and unique characters. I get the feeling modders will go crazy on that one.
It's good to see video games are finally making progress in dynamic dismemberment department.

Overall it looks pretty good to me, especially the static structures. But yeah, overall the hair pieces look a bit sub-par. Of course, that could depend on the graphic card being used for the render. Can't wait to see how people mod this up.

Back
Top Bottom