Poor: (sic) Ruins of Myth Drannor Bug

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor
Greetings Watchers vets,

I'm looking for someone with a good strong memory of this game that might be able to assist…

Before berating me with the obvious attack of 'this game is crap, why bother?' with it… please bear in mind my determination to finally conquer the ruddy thing. ;)
(Since there is a dearth of pure turn based combat games around these days…)

I'm patched to the max as far as I know with the speed mod installed. Everything has been running very cleanly, with only a minor tweak of the directx settings (turning hardware acceleration off) to fix graphical glitches.

The issue I've run into is with my Sorcerer. I can't seem to get access to my level 3 spells (Fireball!) in combat, as the menu has them clouded out as if they don't exist/or I'm not high enough level to cast them. As far as I know, it's not a level draining/restoration issue. (that was the first thing I checked for…)

I also just recently went up to level 7 - got the level up menu, chose Lightning Bolt (mwahaha), yet the same problem persists; it just doesn't ever appear as being available to cast in combat.

I'm relying instead on Jarial for magic as the problem hasn't affected him; he has level 3 spells as per normal, it's just affecting my PC created Sorcerer.

Anyone able to teleport their memories back in time have any ideas? :)
I was thinking of just trying a character editor but am a little wary of savegame corruption.

Cheers

Ahh, c'mon...forty people have looked at the thread and not one whit to say?
Surely you're not all ashamed to have even booted up the game? :D

An update:
Since picking up Emmeric, one possible solution I'm considering is to multi-class my sorcerer to rogue, since that skillset is not represented in my group, which consists of the following:

Emmeric (lvl 6 fighter)
Dwarven Fighter (lvl 6)
Half-Orc Barbarian (lvl 7)
Human Cleric
Elven Sorcerer (my poor crippled, non-fireball casting mage...lvl 7)
Jarial (lvl 7 Sorcerer)

It is nicely refreshing to be able to have six party members again! (as compared to modern games...)

Anyway, I'm just about ready to open the seal to Mythanthor - with just a little more finishing up to do in the Halls of Stone.

Cheers

Great! Thanks for playing! Next!

@Pessimeister,

If Jarial's magic is working o.k, then the stats of the self created sorcerer is not ideal, the original setting-up is crucial, you cannot tweek it to the max later (even with the level-up increases) it will stay with that character for ever, deficiencies and all.

On character creation, you must turn down as far possible the abilities not required so as to max the abilities required for good spellcasting.

Can you remember the created sorcerers original distributed 'ability modifier' points after setting alignment? - did you have 'red' (negative indicators)? - did you have any increased additional indicator modifiers (green plus signs) showing next to the increased abilities. Did you have high plus or minus racial adjustments? - can you remember your *rules* point settings? - - examples:-

3-14 1 point cost
15-16 2 point cost
17-18 3 point cost

Divine spells can only be cast with a wisdom level of 10 + the spell level.

Sorcerers Arcane spells can only be cast by character with charisma level of 10 + the spell level.

Maybe experiment by comparing Jarials traits/abilities to your created sorcerers abilities to see where the shortfall of positives (or opposing negatives) is showing.

Good luck

Thanks.
I definitely should have thought of Gamebanshee. It's a great site that's helped me alot in the past.

EDIT:
Didn't see your post Wulf, thanks also for the thoughts. I'll check my stats/manual on that. I can't remember any of my spell-casters in an AD&D game being restricted in this way (except on the amount of spells as per wis/int) but this particular game is a special case! ;)

Alrighty, this is most interesting - we may be on to something! :D

Jarial:

Str: 11
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 8
Cha: 17! (+3)

Vigamortis:

Str: 5 (who needs brawn when one has their mind?)
Dex: 16
Con: 6 (I was going for a Raistlin archetype, ok!) :D
Int: 19
Wis: 10
Cha: 12 (+1)

If I'm getting your point correct Wulf, then my mage is short 1 point of Charisma in order to cast Fireball. Hilarious. :D I shouldn't be too far off level 8, so will know for sure if this is the case soon. Thanks again!

** Loses AD&D nerd points for forgetting that Sorcerers use CHA and not INT! **

Cheers

Ok Gentlemen, problem solved, no more to see here! I think I know how the boy who cried Wolf(Wulf) must have felt. :D Thanks again mate.

As soon as I levelled up to 8 and adjusted the CHA to 13, I immediately got access to fireball in combat. To prevent further gimpage, I simply swapped in another piece of CHA raising equipment and now can cast level 4 spells as well. Huzzah! Two sorcerers now ready for vast amounts of evocationary nastiness!

If a kindly mod could change the title of this thread, I may just turn its purpose on its head and turn it into a quasi-let's play of sorts…:)

I'm now merrily exploring up on the surface, having just finished a fight with three Nagas and obtained the Word of Venom. This means another sojourn back to the dungeons to check my map and see what else is revealed in sections that were cut off before…

Last edited:
If I'm getting your point correct Wulf, then my mage is short 1 point of Charisma in order to cast Fireball. Hilarious. :D

That's actually a thing I understood after long, long hours of trial and error in (A)D&D C-RPGs … ;)

I just noticed at one point that a character just couldn't cast spells he should have been able to cast [them] … And then I found out that it has something to do with … exactly what you described ! :lol:

Glad it all worked out o.k Pessimeister.....toward the end of the game your level eight fireballs will look spectacular ! ! !

The 3rd edition AD&D rule set was new at the time, followed by 3.5 edition (2000) and 4th edition (2008).....some quite detailed info's at this link ->

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons

I too just started playing this one again. Oddly right after reading this thread. My in game cursor wont move if I move my mouse slowly did some searching, will do more anyone remember having this problem and have a solution?

mouse is logitech g700. game is patched to 1.4

A hex on the first person that tells me to not move my mouse slowly then.:)

Thanks in advance.

As I was typing thought of removing set point program works fine now.

I heard this program makes trouble in several games ?

Glad to see at least another person having another shot at this massive dungeon crawl. ;)

The City Heights and surface itself is actually very attractive to wander around and certainly rivals many of the BG maps I think graphic-wise. But the game itself can be very frustrating and annoying with some of its limitations. The whole inability to take an individual character half a screen away from the party for tactical purposes for example (as you could do freely in the IE games) is one such weakness.

But I'm still playing on and off in the spare time I have and are enjoying making progress. :)

Update: My party is nearly all level 10 and are now just tentatively starting to explore the first level of the Catacombs after opening up the portal at the Circle of Uulail. This is about where I quit last time about 10 years ago - but that was with inferior technology and overall, a weaker party.
Having a solid variety of fantasy soundtracks to choose from in the background helps keep exploration and battles interesting too, as the default combat themes are fairly repetitive.

I'll be coming back and forward from the Catacombs to the surface for awhile I think, as there are a number of sub-quests I have yet to complete. For instance I have one planet left for the Orrery quest and there's the waterbells quest where I still need to obtain the Glyph of Water, to backtrack to the Deep Halls.

The first encounter I had with Drow in the Catacombs was the fight with Bergon and her commandoes. It was a fantastic little skirmish and quite a step up challenge wise from all of the encounters on the surface. Their archers are rather deadly. Looking forward to more!

Cheers

Been awhile! And yes, I'm still trying to slay this beast of a dungeon crawler. ;)

Thought I would write a small update for the little pieces of time I'm managing to put into the game. Took a long break from it, but have been trying once more to make progress.

My party is almost all level 12/13. I've now got Emmeric for the extra melee and Jarial is really starting to shine with Chain Lightning being a real potent crowd pleasing spell. I was able to return to the battle with Greyanna in the Catacombs for instance with this spell and turned a fight where I was killed numerous times, to one that was very easy and strategically winnable.

I've stumbled into a bit of a bug it seems with a vital key (The bent Elven key) going missing in the Lower Keep section of the Catacombs. This has made it impossible to continue. So my party is currently back tracking on the surface finishing up some quests and gaining more xp. I'm hoping another way to continue will arise somehow! It's a little frustrating that some doors are smashable to open, but others that require keys - are not.

There's been some really memorable battles. The fight with Greyanna and her drow minions, the room full of undead Mohrg (basically uber ju-ju ghouls with lots of hitpoints.) that made my jaw drop. Figuring out the best way to take those guys out was a real treat. Any fights with the Dark Naga are also fun.

Fingers crossed I figure out this riddle of the missing key - I may have to consult a walkthrough unfortunately and in the worse case scenario, use an inventory editor if there is one!

Edit: Figured out my problem - it was a section of the game which required a rogue's Open Lock skill. Alas, I don't have a rogue (nor a level of it) in my party. However, I was able to obtain the services of an npc, Tudo, for the purposes of opening gates/doors that didn't require keys, yet couldn't be smashed open. Subsequently have found the bent elven key. ;) Yet another bug that wasn't! ha!
Progress at last though - shall keep exploring away.

Last edited:
A couple of us finished this beast. Myself and Thrasher at least. Great game if you give it a chance. The Drow were great.

I don't know how I missed this thread earlier….

Yep, Todd and I really dug it! BTW, this great in depth strategy guide is invaluable when you get stuck, plus it's a good read: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761530185/ref=nosim/aus-001-20

I got it free with my copy - came in the box with the game for less than $10. What a steal, and my hard drive was none the worse for it. :)

I hope you are using the speed utility. Makes those long lumbering undead battles snappy, I daresay animated. ;)

Remember - against drow (and any non-undead/dragons) confusion and destruction are your best friends.

Greetings Gentlemen. *nods*

I played into the wee hours last night and managed to make it to the Prison section of the catacombs, saving right after the encounter with the Arraccat mother and picking up the Staff of Sunlight. My party is now about level 13/14 and on the look out for the iron spider key.

Any idea how further I have to go?

I have some school holidays approaching, so hopefully will be able to finally make it to the end of this game in a couple of weeks. Kudos to those who have done it before me, I salute you. ;) The game really is a long, undulating, unrelenting journey.

The speed mod is a definite must use, I have to say. When I found out that such a thing existed, I knew I'd have to try it out for the next time I tried the game. I first played the game within 6 months of it coming out - and so didn't make it as far as I have now.

I've just recently discovered the joys of the destruction spell actually hehe, it is rather nice. Thanks also for the link/tip, I'll remember it when more of the dragon kin start showing up.

Cheers!

I'm guessing you're about 80% through, plus some backtracking where needed.

I played only with a party of 2. They almost reached the level limit of about 23? near the end. I used Emmeric to carry loot. I'd dismiss him at the beginning of each level so they wouldn't leech XP. He would just stay there as long as I didn't switch levels.

Back
Top Bottom