The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Still not quite sure what this game is going to be like, but the new trailer is pretty neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kz8G-zPrFY&feature=player_embedded

the-bureau-xcom-declassified-8.jpg

People behind this seem confused. I can't take that as a good sign.

People behind this seem confused. I can't take that as a good sign.
Well what do you except when the game has had two revisions, and had staff leave during development.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how this game turns out. Not overly optimistic, but I'm not ready to throw it under the bus either.

I find the early 1960's visual style to be refreshing, and I think there's a lot of potential here depending on how well they manage to pull off squad-based gameplay with the third-person view.

I've only played the first hour or so, but I like it so far. The only thing that bothers me is that anti-aliasing seems to be broken and the crawling jaggies are pretty bad in some spots.

While I like the style, I think the visuals are sub-par from a technical standpoint. The Unreal 3 engine is starting to show its age.

anti-aliasing seems to be broken…
visuals are sub-par
Remeber, you're playing a port from consoles.

Yeah, cos consoles don't have anti-aliasing?

Yeah, cos consoles don't have anti-aliasing?

As I understand the current gen consoles indeed don't use AA due to lack of RAM and overall performance.

Both the 360 and PS3 can and do use AA. Of course, some devs choose to not to take advantage of it if they feel computation power is better used elsewhere (e.g. 60 fps for driving games, etc. But even then it would be relatively trivial to include AA for the PC version - it's not something that's custom coded for each game).

The notion that the reason a PC game has no/poor AA is entirely due to the fact that the game was also released on a console is just silly PC elitism.

It was that blaming shortcomings of PC games on consoles is rather deluded. There's a whole host of reasons why devs do a half-assed job.
Well most of the time it's due to time and money. I have no problem with ports just do them right. Sadly some developers don't think that way.

As for the game I'm not surprised it had a troubled development cycle. It's the same thing I worry about with the Thief reboot.

Sure. Though the Xbox is basically a PC (and both the Xbox One and PS4 are even closer still), plus most PC gamers now play with a 360 pad. So it's not even like there's a whole lot of porting to do. Not like the old days of custom chips and controllers...

Back
Top Bottom