Elder Scrolls V: Skywind - Gameplay Demo

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The developers of the Morrowind mod Skywind have released a new gameplay trailer.

This is ALPHA gameplay footage from my last Twitch Live Stream on 8/13/14. Because of this, the quality is LOW and the frame rate will drop/freeze. None of this footage is official and everything is subject to change. For this reason, do not comment on bugs, glitches, or optimization. For this demo, I show only a few environments and armors. An OFFICIAL demo will be released later down the road.
More information.

If they pull this off, I'd willingly pay for it.

I wonder if they will introduce spellcrafting like it was in Morrowind, and also other spells like Fly and Levitate.

Last edited:
It's a neat project, and I commend them for what must have been a ton of work, but I'd still much rather just play Morrowind with MGSO.

I'm still impressed with this. I hope Skyblivion is as successful. ^.^

This is actually the kind of remake I'd pay for. The gameplay of Morrowind is so clumsy I have a very hard time getting back into it. It's mainly the whole "missing when I can clearly see that I hit" thing. It's a combination of two systems (roll vs action) that just doesn't work in my opinion.

I don't mind paying for this as well. I hope they finish it for their sake and mine!

Skywind: The running simulator. Get fit today without moving a muscle! Run for 15 minutes a day in the wonderful world of Skywind....

It's mainly the whole "missing when I can clearly see that I hit" thing. It's a combination of two systems (roll vs action) that just doesn't work in my opinion.

I think the dice-roll system works great and I wish more games used it.

Just pretend at low skill levels your character can barely hold the weapon, let alone hit something with it. :)

Combat in Morrowind is pathetic. The worst part of it is the "always use best move" thing in the options.

It was the very definition of click-spamming - even more so than Diablo.

Using a 100% character skill-based system in a real-time game that was clearly about immersion was a terrible idea.

Glad they wised up ;)

@Couch,

to be technically precise Skywind is a Skyrim mod, not a Morrowind mod.

I think the dice-roll system works great and I wish more games used it.

Just pretend at low skill levels your character can barely hold the weapon, let alone hit something with it. :)
I think the problem he means is that everything looks like it was a hit but nothing happens. This is really not done well in Morrowind and it bugs a lot of people. "Just pretend" is not a solution when there are a lot of games doing it much better.

But the cause is not the action vs. roll, that can work rather well. The problem is feedback. If there was a simple fumble animation for attacks or dodging/parrying animations, things would be much clearer. You don't need Assassins Creed level of animation feedback, but even back then they could have done it better.
I definitely do prefer a dice-roll system to determine hits in first person RPGs but it should be communicated better than in Morrowind.

Btw. I am much more interested in OpenMW, as that has some serious potential being more than just a mod for Skyrim. Of course the asset quality is lower than Skyrim for the moment.

Combat in Morrowind is pathetic. The worst part of it is the "always use best move" thing in the options.

It was the very definition of click-spamming - even more so than Diablo.

Using a 100% character skill-based system in a real-time game that was clearly about immersion was a terrible idea.

Glad they wised up ;)

Morrowind was a great game and I replayed it last year with MGSO. The combat in it is just awful and I could not get past that after the fun of exploration wore off. I usually don't mind most combat systems but could not get past Morrowind's.

Too bad because Morrowind has one of the best atmospheres in a crpg.

Impressive :)

That being said, there is still great ammount of work left. Writing & scripting quests, writing dialog, placing npcs, enemies and items on gamworld etc..

The team seems to be persistent, so there is a good chance of seeing this one in finished state some day!

And I'd definitely pay some real money to see them succeed.

I think the problem he means is that everything looks like it was a hit but nothing happens. This is really not done well in Morrowind and it bugs a lot of people. "Just pretend" is not a solution when there are a lot of games doing it much better.

But the cause is not the action vs. roll, that can work rather well. The problem is feedback. If there was a simple fumble animation for attacks or dodging/parrying animations, things would be much clearer. You don't need Assassins Creed level of animation feedback, but even back then they could have done it better.
I definitely do prefer a dice-roll system to determine hits in first person RPGs but it should be communicated better than in Morrowind.

Combat is an abstract in Morrowind no different than any other game that uses dice-rolls.

Baldur's Gate missed attacks look like normal attacks with no special animations. Don't see people up in arms about that.

Just because there aren't any animations to show enemy dodges or weapon fumbles doesn't mean much to me. Bottom line for me is not how pretty something is, but how the core gameplay systems work. The system used in Morrowind was great and much better than later games in the series. In my opinion of course.

Baldur's Gate missed attacks look like normal attacks with no special animations. Don't see people up in arms about that.

Just because there aren't any animations to show enemy dodges or weapon fumbles doesn't mean much to me. Bottom line for me is not how pretty something is, but how the core gameplay systems work. The system used in Morrowind was great and much better than later games in the series. In my opinion of course.

Baldur's Gate isn't based on DIRECT control, visual immersion, doesn't have a first person perspective where your hands are visible - also, it's party based.

In BG, there's really no expectation to have combat simulate reality and feel as if the player himself (or herself) is in complete control of each and every party member. Abstraction is what you'd expect when you can't see the action up close, as you can't see the details anyway.

In that same way, you don't want to point your gun at someone's head in Deus Ex or Vampire Bloodlines and be told you're missing over and over, because your skill isn't high enough. If the crosshair is over the target - you expect to hit it.

It's fine that you don't mind such a heavily abstracted system in a game like Morrowind, but I find it amazing you don't see how others would.

In Baldur's Gate you're not the one directing the sword. In Morrowind you clearly aim the sword straight at something and then.. nothing happens. You don't even know if you're the one who missed or if the roll missed. It's a combination of two systems that just doesn't work. Either go with a roll system (Baldur's Gate) or an action system (Gothic), not both at the same time.

Edit: DArtagnan beat me to it.

@Couch,

to be technically precise Skywind is a Skyrim mod, not a Morrowind mod.
Yes but it's a mod based on Morrowind.;)

I could make a news-bit with either title, and it will fit. I have used Morrowind for every update on this mod though. I can change if it bothers everyone.

PS: It also requires you to own Morrowind to play.
You will need a copy of TES III: Morrowind, including the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions installed correctly on your system. Plus TES V: Skyrim of course. The exact files that you will need to run, as well as the instructions you should follow to install can be located on The Official Installation Instruction Thread.

Back
Top Bottom