RPGWatch - Elminage Gothic Review

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Forgottenlor explores Elminage Gothic, in all its unique and often frustrating wonder.

Have you ever gotten whole walnuts in their shells? Have you ever had to crack them? If you've had that dubious honor, then you've come across that one walnut shell that doesn't want to be cracked. You squeeze with all your might. You shift its position in the nutcracker. Finally the walnut explodes. Shell and nut fly everywhere. The nut inside is excellent, but somehow you wonder if it was worth the effort. Elminage Gothic is that nut. Many won't understand why people would take the trouble to play it, while others will consider the trouble validated by the results.
More information.

Excellent review Forgottenlor - Thank You!
Seems like a game made for me - I have only tested it for a few hours yet, but I will definitely play this game to the end.

Nice review, I will try the game as soon as i find gaming time which unfortunaly might not happen soon.
It's also very nice that Watch has more and more articles.So thank you to anyone involved.

Good review. I find the game more frustrating than fun and I usually prefer hard games. The limited map thing is just annoying and i had to get a workaround from the net. With (very often) cruel random encounters and almost no story the final nail in the coffin for me was the stupidest leveling system ever designed (be prepared for lots of savescumming). I like the crafting and the art direction is nice but after 10 or so hours I am done for good with this game.

I started the game - played maybe an hour or two but couldn't figure out how to finish/do quests. Maybe I should go back and play some more ?

Some of the side quests are very difficult to complete. Which ones are you having problems with? The first main quest can be complete at the bottom (3rd) level of the starter dungeon.

I didn't read the review just saw pics.
And honestly "press E" or such stuff on pics...
I won't buy this game, sorry.

Check this thread in a day or two. I have to bring the game up to answer and I don't have access right now ...

Some of the side quests are very difficult to complete. Which ones are you having problems with? The first main quest can be complete at the bottom (3rd) level of the starter dungeon.

I didn't read the review just saw pics.
And honestly "press E" or such stuff on pics…
I won't buy this game, sorry.

The menu is functional with the mouse and arrow keys+return. I've never actually used "E" or "Q". I still don't think its for you, as you tend not to like ported games.

Thanks for the review.

No interest in poor game designs like complete map respawn, with limited space and spells. Comparing this game to Infinity engine games is unfortunate. Since unless my memory is failing me, none of the games did this phony complete map respawn. Forcing you to keep fighting the same mobs over and over again. Extremely lazy game design mechanic for a single player game.

Thanks for the review.

No interest in poor game designs like complete map respawn, with limited space and spells. Comparing this game to Infinity engine games is unfortunate. Since unless my memory is failing me, none of the games did this phony complete map respawn. Forcing you to keep fighting the same mobs over and over again. Extremely lazy game design mechanic for a single player game.

I find it valid to compare one aspect of the game (regaining spells by resting) to a mechanic used in a well known game. That does not mean I am comparing the games as a whole to one another. And I think I clearly pointed out mechanics, which I know people will have a hard time accepting. Complete map respawns with random battles were used in many 80s and 90s games. Its valid to say you don't like such mechanics, but that doesn't make it poor game design. If so Wizardry 1-7 and Bard's Tale 1-3 were terribly designed game, and yet many of us consider those games classics.

This is a good game...bought it after reading the review today.

Plays much better with a controller however...flame away...

Good Review.

This has been pretty low on my Steam wishlist for a while now. This review has convinced me to bump it up a few spots.

Great review, time to don my eighties leg warmers and jump right in.

Worth £3.39 of anyones money.

*whispers* are there alot of keys in game? i'm not good with keys ;)

Huh, an Elminage Gothic thread that I didn't already post in! Interesting... :p

Great, great game. It could be made even more interesting with more "hardcore" options.

Huh, an Elminage Gothic thread that I didn't already post in! Interesting… :p

Great, great game. It could be made even more interesting with more "hardcore" options.

Maybe you were on vacations somewhere and the thread just escaped your sight... :)

Back
Top Bottom