RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2014

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
It is that time of the year again in which we give you the opportunity to vote for the best RPG of 2014 and the game you are looking most forward to in 2015.

You have the opportunity to vote for the best, runner up and third best game for both the RPGs of last year and most promising RPGs of this year. However you should not vote for the same game twice as that invalidates your participation.

At the end of the vote you have the option to participate in our raffle in which we are giving away boxed and digital versions of Divinity: Original Sin.

Participation is restricted to registered users only. Enjoy!

Update: New registrations to the site won't be counted in the vote

More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
The poll asks about games we are looking forward to in '2014.' I'll probably make that mistake a few times myself for the next couple of days.

You didn't include king bounty dark side in the poll (though you did have an 'other' category). I was gonna comment on the 2014 thing but someone beat me. Also isn't torment due in 2016 ?

The poll asks about games we are looking forward to in '2014.' I'll probably make that mistake a few times myself for the next couple of days.
Fixed that. Thanks.

You didn't include king bounty dark side in the poll (though you did have an 'other' category). I was gonna comment on the 2014 thing but someone beat me. Also isn't torment due in 2016 ?
We always have discussions about games that should or should not be on the list as we also cover games that have only 'some' RPG elements. King's Bounty was removed from the list because of that.
As to Torment, yes it could be 2016, might be incorrectly entered in our database :)

On list there is Mistoborn:Birghtright on most anticipated list.How come I wasn't aware there will be Mistborn game?

Edit:nvm it's console action RPG made by developer(little orbit) that hasn't made any RPG, AAA or even good game.It's potentially one of those "deny it exists" games.

My votes:

Divinity: Original Sin
Valkyria Chronicles
Lords of Xulima
(place 3 is also Might & Magic X and Wasteland 2 for me - hard choice)

The Witcher 3
Darkest Dungeon
Age of Decadence

On list there is Mistoborn:Birghtright on most anticipated list.How come I wasn't aware there will be Mistborn game?

Edit:nvm it's console action RPG made by developer(little orbit) that hasn't made any RPG, AAA or even good game.It's potentially one of those "deny it exists" games.

Waste of a good setting. Although the books got weaker after the first one, it could be an awesome setting for an RPG with tactical turn-based combat.

I won't bother posting how I voted, as no one will agree with me and it just might stoke discontent. :p

If I could have, I would have cast some kind of vote for Elite: Dangerous. It has me hooked right now.

Waste of a good setting. Although the books got weaker after the first one, it could be an awesome setting for an RPG with tactical turn-based combat.

I don't think Mistborn has good setting for any kind of game, magic system isn't suitable and there isn't much to the world outside of cities.Maybe in timeline of second trilogy, but for that second and third book need to come out first.
Also I s agree that 2nd and 3rd book are somewhat weaker mostly because
Kelsier who is by far most interesting character imo dies at the end of first book

I can envision it. It would be complex -- and no one likes doing complex anymore -- but potentially very interesting. You collect metals while exploring. In turn-based combat, you use up this finite resource using your powers. Drop a coin or use enviornmental metal on the battlefield to launch yourself in the air before you start coming down the next turn. Think Xcom: Apocalypse for the three-dimensional TB combat with flying and destructible environments.

Mistborn could be an awesome game and setting, but man, would it have to be done right. It would be very easy just to make a sloppy, non-interesting game. With that said, I'm hoping for the best, as the books and magic system within were quite enjoyable.

This is when I realize I only played 4 new single player RPGs this year. :/

Myrthos forgot to add new registrations won't count either.;)

Now my picks are already entered in the poll and were the following.

My three picks for Best RPG of 2014

1. Wasteland 2
2. Divine Divinity: Original Sin
3. DA: Inquisition

My three games to look froward in 2015

1. Witcher III
2. Pillars of Eternity
3. Torment

Yes I picked Torment as there is a chance it might come out in the fourth quarter of 2015. Just read the kickstarter updates with the information.

Last edited:
Just to say I didn't play Grimrock 2 and thus I cannot know if it's perhaps the best game in this year. :(
Also I didn't play, then again will never play, Shadowrun, Banner Saga and other phonegames (yes, I know you don't share that opinion, well, you have your vote leave me mine).

The year was fruitful and I number of games gave me headache of a sort, sweet one in a way. ;)

Thus my vote was like this:
The best of the best: Divinity Original Sin
There wasn't any masterpiece game this year, but this one got very close to it. If only those small things I nitpicked were done better (no keychain, handplaced loot needed, less OP crafting, etc). Nevertheless, this game is the best blueprint how RPG on PC should feel.

RunnerUp: Risen 3
Why this one? Because it's IMO better consoleport than DA3. Both have horrible inventory, but Risen 3 doesn't have horrible sonar nor horrible controls. And in Risen 3 there are no billions of annoying trahsmob respawns. Hell the landscape looks more spectacular than in any RPG this year.

Third place: The Stick of Truth
Not the deepest RPG experience possible, but showing some gut and making RPG out of the brilliant cartoon that works? And feels like you're playing that same cartoon? I wish we get RPGized more cartoons instead of yucky platformers, MMOs and other whatnot crap.

-

Looking forward to almost all on the list, so… Okay I have to pick some. Took these:
- TheWitcher3
- Eternity
- Torment 2

I opted not to participate in the raffle, have the T-shirt and two game keys already so… Wouldn't be fair to get another.

No contest for 2014:

1. Divinity Original Sin
2. (Distant) Valkyria Chronicles (although this is like cheating, since it was a re-released)
3. Wasteland 2

For 2015, It is quite depressing... hopefully Larian Studios will have an announcement soon... for now, Numenera is the only one I am really excited about.

My three picks for Best RPG of 2014

1. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
2. Divine Divinity: Original Sin
3. Wasteland 2

My three games to look froward in 2015

1. Torment: Tides of Numenera
2. Pillars of Eternity
3. Blackguards 2

Only played 1 new game this year, so my votes look like this:

GOTY
1. Wasteland 2
2. None
3. None

Most Anticipated
1. Unsung Story
2. Avernum: Crystal Souls
3. Torment

However, my true #1 most anticipated is Enderal: Shards Of Order, the total conversion mod for Skyrim. They worked magic with Oblivion, plain and simple. I expect nothing less from their Skyrim game :)

And my personal GOTY out of the games I played is as follows:

1. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
2. Baldur's Gate 2
3. Gothic
4. Baldur's Gate
5. Risen 2
6. The Last Remnant (although I haven't finished this one yet)

Last edited:
Yes, I believe Jay is hopeful of FK 2 being ready for 2015; it certainly got my 'write in' vote. However, I also didn't see Grimoire on the list!! :D

Back
Top Bottom