The "I Just Bought" thread

1.eSlick ebook reader
3.Samsung NC10 mini-notebook (10",1.3kg,8hr battery)

I am looking at a 9-10" mini-notebook and an eBook reader myself. I need them for my studies. Is eSlick capable of displaying color images in pdf's?

I am looking at a 9-10" mini-notebook and an eBook reader myself.

My choices for mini-notebook were either Samsung NC10 or the more expensive N140 that is its successor. They only sold N140 with windows7 starter so I would have needed to pay even more for windows upgrade. Also windows7 seems to use more battery than XP and the product info about N140 battery life is not true. In the shop they said its 11 hours but in tests its 6.

N140 has better trackpad but I rather use mini-mouse instead so it doesnt really matter. NC10 is a test-winner so its proven to be good and it was rather cheap. Also XP is more than enough because Im only going to play older games and other stuff with it and they work best in XP. Also XP was in finnish while the more expensive N140 windows7 was only in english.

Is eSlick capable of displaying color images in pdf's?

No current reader is able to display colors. Color pictures are shown in grey. eSlick shows only 4 grey scales while som best readers show 16. Ive checked out multiple color covers from the eslick and they show just find. They dont have colors but they are still nice images and totally recogniceable.

Basicly ebook screens are a special greyscale that is easy on the eyes and not LCD. They are perfect for reading single-column books (multi-column text not good). Black text, white background. There is one reader in development that is suppose to have color but if its gonna work and when its gonna arrive I dont know. It could take many years still to get a working one for mass market. While waiting Im going to use eslick! ;)

Heres som of the readers in comparison: http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix eSlick isnt in it but its a slightly improved version of cybook gen3. I didnt have much choice since only eslick and few others were available in Finland.

One of the important things in ereader is boot-time. At worst it can take up to 45 seconds in som readers (erex?). eSlick does it in 10s which was a nice suprise. The best things about ebook reader are long battery life (days) and the nice untiring displays. Ebook reader is not a lightsource so it doesnt make your eyes tired like regular screen.

Last edited:
Newest Issue Of "National Geographic", of "Classic Rock" (30 Years of The Wall & Pink Floyd in general), Mike Oldfield's "Musik Of The Spheres", and 2 CDs from a friend ("Congas & Rumbas" & "Dream Theatre").

Zakhal, I am considering a minipc with swivel screen such as ASUS EEE T91, but it's blank screen and the backlight might make it uncomfortable for reading long books, the config and battery spec isn't too good either. But I am not in a hurry.

Zakhal, I am considering a minipc with swivel screen such as ASUS EEE T91, but it's blank screen and the backlight might make it uncomfortable for reading long books, the config and battery spec isn't too good either. But I am not in a hurry.

I thought about that too but T91M is underpowered (slow processor) and in tablet mode its even slower (underclocked). Apart from the sluggish tablet-mode T91M is not that good as a minipc even though its rather expensive. The battery is bad and you cant even replace it if it goes dead.

It has received average reviews. If you take away the tablet theres very little reason to buy it.

Eslick battery lasts very long btw. I loaded it last week and its still 75%. I read about 100 pages of tom clancy yesterday. Loved it.

Last edited:
Drinking habits?

The point of the diet is that you drink the shakes, and water, and that's all you put in your mouth until you are done

That's what I wanted to know.... said person could not go 1 week without beer... so it is kind of pointless in that case?

Boardgamegeek as I am I grabbed a few expansions for Christmas.

Carcassonne: Wheel of Fortune
carcassonnewheeloffortune.jpg

Ok, meh. Carcassonne's last two expansions (Wheel of Fortune and Catapult) haven't intrigued me that much, but I loved the other expansions and it's a really fun game that can be played just 2 players and scaled by reducing the cards you use.

Settlers of Catarn: Traders & Barbarians
settlerstradersandbarbarians.jpg

So I haven't tried this one yet, but it's supposed to be a bunch of miniexpansions for Settlers of Catarn. I liked the base game with the cities expansion but I wasn't too fond of the seafarers one. I have no idea if this will be fun or not but I will try it out later.

Star Wars: Miniatures
starwarsminiatures.jpg

So I let this single image display the over 200 figures I got for this game so far. I kept off this one for a loooong time, until my friends bought a few and then I was lost. I have no idea how much money I poured into it, but I am a collector and a rabid Star Wars fan so what can I say? I have actually played this a lot with my cohabit who also like Star Wars.

starwarsminiaturesmap.jpg

My mother even helped me to print some large scale maps.

Couldn't resist but bought a few Indy Jones figures that are massively lowered in their prices in Woolworth shops (2,99 deluxe, 1,59 basic).

I built a new computer because the good old P4 is a useless as a processor can get.
Code:
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8Ghz
MSI GD80 P55
ATI Radeon HD 5850
2GB DDR3 RAM 1333Mhz x2
HAF 932
I have to deal with all those FPSs that I've pilled up in the last years and then I'll get into RPGs again.
Now I can finally play Gothic 3 without waiting 5 minutes for loading.:biggrin:
I may even give Forsaken Gods another chance :-/
I plan to buy Risen and Dragon Age but I'm out of cash.

Last thing I bought: A coffee grinder. Not a big investment, but wow!, do we get better tasting coffee now.

Last thing I bought: Skinny* fit jeans with a black-on-black leo pattern.
*not that 'skinny' applied to me

My old hardworking scanner finally died after almost ten years. I bought a new one, a canoscan 8800f. It's awesome! My old scanner could take like 30-40 seconds to scan a page in 300dpi. This new one do the same job in 7 seconds! And it really captures the colors in brilliant glory compared to the greyish scans made by my old one.

I also got myself a new printer at the same time, but a cheaper one. A Canon Pixma ip4700. My greatest reason to swap was that my old printer was incredibly expensive when it came to ink. But even if the new one was cheaper it's still a lot better than the old one.

- DVD audio 5.1 edition of Genesis' Wind & Wuthering
- 2 DVDs: Day Watch & The Zombie Diaries
- Set of strings for my bass

Yesterday :

- Gobliiiins 4
- "Monsters vs. Aliens" - game to the movie
- "Gefangen in der Drachenfestung" - game with animated Playmobil characters

All 3 for "small money".

Unfortunately, this is part of Mrs dte's midlife crisis rather than mine. I inherit the minivan. :(

Attachments

• 1-30-10 023.jpg
    1-30-10 023.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 64
We just bought my younger son a PS2 for his birthday ... shhh! ;)

Back
Top Bottom