Did you trade in your old gas guzzler? Think hard!!

Interesting. Thoughts and spin from the left? I hope y'all won't try the "can versus will" cop-out, either.

I'm boycotting Glenn Beck(not that I was a regular viewer*cough*) after his "Obama hates white people and is a racist" comment, so if you want lefty spin from me, you'll have to transcribe a synopsis of whatever he's peddling.

I honestly tried to watch the video, but the only thing I could focus on was Kimberly Guilfoyle. :smitten:

That is how FOX news operates ... T&A + sensationalism = ratings.

Possible major pooch-screwing by the dipshits in Washington. I can document the first half of this, but haven't been able to get confirmation of the second half yet.

Apparently, to guarantee that the cashed-in clunkers don't get back on the road, the CARS law stipulates that the engine will be treated with a solvent so the pistons seize if you start the engine again. An unusually smart idea, I must say.
"The clunker will never run again. In fact, it'll be pumped with a solvent to ensure the engine freezes up before likely being squashed into a cube."

If information from a local dealer is true (he's got no motivation to lie), Congress has proven once again that they could screw up vanilla ice cream. Supposedly, the solvent specified in the CARS bill just so happens to be an environmental hazard (this wouldn't be a stretch for a fast acting solvent strong enough to break down motor oil), which means the junk yards and scrap yards cannot accept the vehicles from dealers without getting an EPA permit.

I'll keep looking for a reputable source to confirm this little hiccup.

Beck has a point, even if he's only balking at this at its face value. The dot-gov extension is reserved for goverment sites, so I suppose we should assume this is a genuine site. If it is genuine, then why should anyone have to agree to all that?

I once brought my own PC to the place I worked, because it was much better than the ones they were using. My results were good, and I went on to become the top performer at the company. But when I decided to go out on my own, the company seized my PC, claiming it was theirs since I had used it on their property.

They copied everything I had and after I had gone courted all my contacts and clients, even using my name and inferring that I was still associated with them. I can tell you that it wasn't any fun.

Why should anyone ever have to agree to stuff like that? Beck is out there, but he wasn't crazy this time. That's crazy stuff to have to concede, just to get your share of a government handout.

I have little doubt - my last company supplied materials to the semiconductor industry, and I know from those guys that any chemical that works *really* well is likely to be very nasty ...

Personally we have donated our last couple of cars to charity - get a better write off than a crappy trade in. My wife wanted to do this for our van, but we still owe a bit and from my calculations it just wouldn't be worth it at this point.

I'm boycotting Glenn Beck(not that I was a regular viewer*cough*) after his "Obama hates white people and is a racist" comment, so if you want lefty spin from me, you'll have to transcribe a synopsis of whatever he's peddling.
In a nutshell, if you use the CARS.gov site (which the dealers must use for the clunkers program), you have to accept an extremely intrusive use agreement. It says in no uncertain terms that while you're logged on that site, the government *owns* your computer and *everything* on it. For an added kick, they are allowed to take any file they like from your computer and give it to whomever they like, "domestic or foreign". Seriously. I don't think there's anything about them giving ownership back, either, which means Uncle Sam owns your computer and everything on it forever and ever.

And y'all complained about wiretapping.

I'd be very, very surprised if the claim wasn't thrown out of court with extreme prejudice should the gov't try to pursue it. It's even more ridiculous than most EULA's, and they're not worth a whole lot either.

In a nutshell, if you use the CARS.gov site (which the dealers must use for the clunkers program), you have to accept an extremely intrusive use agreement. It says in no uncertain terms that while you're logged on that site, the government *owns* your computer and *everything* on it. For an added kick, they are allowed to take any file they like from your computer and give it to whomever they like, "domestic or foreign". Seriously. I don't think there's anything about them giving ownership back, either, which means Uncle Sam owns your computer and everything on it forever and ever.

And y'all complained about wiretapping.
Thanks, dte. Reminds me of the Hellgate:London dataminer thing that caused me never to play the game. I tend to blame it on a paranoid industry in EA's case, but exactly what kind of copyright enfringement or theoretical pirating is the government afraid of? Thumbs down from me on this one, assuming the facts are in line.

The warning about the government owning and having complete access to your files etc, seems very similar to the warning that pops up when you log on to their secure networks. Maybe some dumb-dumb just copy/pasted the warning to cover his ass...

Actually, Cash for Clunkers is turning into an unbridled success. This is REAL fiscal stimulus with REAL personal and business incentives.

Great job, Obama Admin!
Well, there are a few holes in the plan, which is to be expected when congress is involved (not the least of which being a program intended to run a few months ran out of money in less than 2 weeks), but overall I have to agree with you, elkston. If Uncle Sam is going to hand out free cash, this was a pretty effective way to do it. Barack done good.

If Uncle Sam is going to hand out free cash, this was a pretty effective way to do it. Barack done good.

It gets better: I heard Lucifer just put in a huge order for ice skates.

:D

Hey, if I'm going to hammer the (avalanche of) mistakes, I should applaud the (extremely rare) successes. Otherwise, I'm just another political hypocrite.

:D

Hey, if I'm going to hammer the (avalanche of) mistakes, I should applaud the (extremely rare) successes. Otherwise, I'm just another political hypocrite.

Looks like your false Republican overlords will do their best to kill it before it gets too far from the cradle:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/25722.html

You gotta love it when a politician talks about "the stupidity coming out of Washington." :)

With the extra funding coming out of a pot of gold that's already been approved, I don't see where they've got a leg to stand on. If the extra $2B was a new authorization, I could see putting up a fiscal responsibility front (while offering to hush up for future considerations), but this money is already flushed--might as well flush it on something that's actually working.

Back
Top Bottom