Alien RPG - Rumour: Canceled by Sega?

Not Unexpected

Obsidian has always reminded me of Troika -- a company run by people better at game design than running a business, and with a reach that exceeds their grasp. This results in ambitious games that get rushed to completion, with incomplete and buggy consequences. Troika went three games and out: Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Looks like Obsidian is on the same path, with their three being KOTOR2, NWN2 and Alpha Protocol.

So long, guys, thanks for playing.

If this is true, I don't get it.

Aliens is a bankable franchise. Why can projects a few years into production, under a valuable licence you've spent a lot of money acquiring?

Unless working an RPG around Aliens was proving more difficult than thought, and the project wasn't going anywhere.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent announcement of a new Alien vs Predator FPS by Rebellion.

@khaight - I think you're way off. This has little to do with Obsidian - it's all about Sega. Have you thought about their $119M first quarter loss or the 560 jobs they already canned at their end?

We know that KotOR2 was rushed by LucasArts and despite the slow start with NWN2, it was profitable and MotB is an excellent game. They have a rocky road ahead with two projects at a drowning publisher but there's no direct link between that and buggy games.

Edit: Dyne - no money. It may be wasteful to can a game 2 years in development but Sega is in serious shit. They can't afford a niche RPG - they need to spend any money on a guaranteed smash hit (presumably Rebellion). I'm not saying they're necessarily doing the right thing but look at their overall position.

Yeah, I can see desperation being a reason, but they've got Empire: Total War shipping in a few weeks. I would've thought they'd stay their hand until after some sales figures came back for that, and the rest of their March line-up.

Man, hopefully they won't close. I'm not a huge fan of Obsidian, but I liked NWN2 + MOTB a lot. Hopefully not even the Alien Rpg is off the table, might have been decent.
Well, how come? NWN2 + MOTB is the only games they developed, why are you not a huge fan if you liked them a lot?

Well, how come? NWN2 + MOTB is the only games they developed, why are you not a huge fan if you liked them a lot?

Wrong.
KOTOR 2, NWN 2, MOTB and SOZ.

At least be correct when being snarky;)

Thank you!
You've been a great audiance, remember to tip your waitress on you're way out.:lol:

One way or another I kinda expected something like this would happend. Don't get me wrong I was/am hugely excited about an Alien rpg but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't imagine how one would execute it. It may be solely a matter of Sega having to cut donwn on things they don't think will make big profit but I can't help but feel that the game just weren't coming along well at Obsidian. I mean almost no info has been released about the game or the Gearbox FPS for that matter. It seems likely that both games will never see the light of day.

EDIT: ok, I see they have moved Colonial Marines to 2010 to make way for an AvP game.

This does not look so good for Obsidian, they better start making console games soon, or they will be in trouble.

On a side note didn't RPGWatch just recently run an article about that they were hiring for alien RPG??

Who holds the rights? Can obsidian shop this around and find another publisher?

I think that Sega would have the rights.

Anyway, I can't say I was really looking forward to it, but it could be good, an Alien RPG. And I'll be sorry to see Obsidian closed for any reason.

Maybe it's not too late to do another NWN2 expansion? before a third installment ...

Does this effect the development of Alpha Protocol in any way, shape or form ?
Other than Obsidian apparently not having a full studio anymore; 20 people were laid off, it seems.

Might I just add that it would be a real shame if Obsidían closes its doors...

edit:

My (gut) feeling is that this has everything to do with the Alien vs. Predator game being announced; marketing probably saw this is as better way to make money for SEGA - would be my eduacted guess..

Obsidian better be looking for someone that will buy them, then - if they don't want to be closed - by not getting enough in the door to pay the bills - and the developers...

Last edited:
.. What? Obsidian just fired 20 people? Where did you read that?

It is supposed to be a rumour still, but according to Kotaku's story here:

http://kotaku.com/5152193/rumor-aliens-rpg-canceled-layoffs-hit

It is on Joystiq, too

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/12/r...n-aliens-colonial-marines-aliens-rp/#comments

It says 'supposedly'....

And in this thread (right here on the watch)

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6395

Patrick Weekes made the second post with a link to the Kotaku story about this - mentioning that more 'than 20 people were laid off last night...' at Obsidian.

And Brother None also said that Kotaku is usually well-informed...

This just reminds on the rumours when Interplay closed Black Isle down in 2002 or 2003? The same 'no comment' on the comments....and nearly all other rumours that floats around the internet - especially when it comes to games being cancelled...

edit:

also someone got let go today (or yesterday)

http://larrycharlesjr.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/larry-charles-jr-is-on-a-new-adventure/

Last edited:
Are you guys kidding when you say you can't imagine how an Aliens CRPG would be executed?

The setting oozes potential, and imagine all the science/research labs, alien hives, military installations, colonies, and so on. You could be exploring those while levelling your marines, doctors, scientists, suits, civilians, and what you like.

You'd encounter mercs and soldiers from "the company", as well as the variety of aliens we've all come to know and appreciate.

Tons of gadgets and loot in general. Military hardware, potential "psi" powers, alien artifacts etc.

Quests? Go explore this colony/base/sciencelab that we lost communication with, and rescue survivors.

You have the chance to explain where the aliens came from, and who made them. You get to expand the life cycle or at least detail it.

I was really looking forward to Obsidian's interpretation of a proper CRPG set in this universe, and I'd LOVE exploring that kind of content.

Hmmm ... I really don't know what to think. But often projects being vut can be a very good thing for the financial health of a company.

Even if Alpha Protocoll is only mildly affected by this, it's a crystal clear sign that Sega's partnership with Obsidian is at an end. Add-ons will hardly be greenlit.
If I were on this team I would start writing resumes. There has to be a huge project in the pipeline or people will be let go.

I'm also worried about the Total War studio. They ship in a few weeks. If Sega needs to save money now this studio is in danger, despite producing one hit after the other.

Back
Top Bottom