HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The classic JRPG Final Fantasy VI has been released on Steam:

Final Fantasy VI is Out Now!

Happy launch day!

Final Fantasy VI, the last FF game of the SNES era and one of the most beloved games in the FF franchise is now available on Steam!

New features to the Steam version of FFVI include painstakingly recreated graphics by veteran character designer Kazuko Shibuya, updated controls and active-time battle system optimized for fluid combat on PC, and Steam achievements and trading cards.

If you purchase the game before the December 23, 2015 you'll also get a 10% discount.

Join the Returners and suplex a train!
About This Game

FINAL FANTASY VI first debuted in 1994 as the sixth instalment in the iconic FINAL FANTASY series. Innovations included the ability to play all the main characters as the game's protagonist, and to this day, its epic story intertwining each of their fates is still highly rated and wildly popular.

With plenty of abilities available and the magicite system for controlling spells/summoning, players can develop their characters any way they want. This was also the first FINAL FANTASY game to include the Ultima Weapon, the most powerful sword of all and a recurring item in subsequent titles within the series.

Story
The War of Magi left little but ashes and misery in its wake. Even magic itself had vanished from the world. Now, a thousand years later, humankind has remade the world through the power of iron, gunpowder, steam engines, and other machines and technologies.

But there is one who possesses the lost power of magic--a young girl name Terra whom the evil Empire has kept enslaved in an effort to harness her power as weapon. This leads to a fateful meeting between Terra and a young man named Locke. Their harrowing escape from the Empire's clutches sets in motion a series of events that touches countless lives and leads to one inevitable conclusion.

Key Features

• Veteran character designer Kazuko Shibuya has painstakingly recreated the graphics, bringing the world of FINAL FANTASY VI to your PC for the very first time!
  • Updated controls and active-time battle system are optimized for fluid combat for PC
  • Includes Steam achievements and Trading cards.
More information.

Moar Final Fantasy!

I do find it amusing that I played the game on my SNES emulator on my PC 10 years ago though. It had one of the best opening ever too.

Booyah.

I just restarted the game on a SNES emulator a couple of weeks ago, right before I learned it was coming out on the PC (after months of speculation that it never was).

And yeah - the opening sequence nailed it. Everything pretty much nailed it. I hope the PC version does the game justice.

I'm glad I still own the PSOne remakes. As I hate the 3D cartoonist looks of the android & handheld versions. Just look at the various screenshots on the internet to see why.

I'm glad I still own the PSOne remakes. As I hate the 3D cartoonist looks of the android & handheld versions. Just look at the various screenshots on the internet to see why.

Any person with any degree of standards and appreciation of art will despite the horrible cartoon sprite artwork of the mobile versions. It is a great injustice to FFVI. It is very sad that you can play a better version on ZSNES, an emulator from 15 years ago. Ah, the modern Square-Enix...nothing like the young, creative Squaresoft of yore.

Now I have only played the GBA and iOS / Android versions ... But I honestly don't get the big deal. To me it is like the Witcher 3 'graphics downgrade' thing .... Does it impact the game? No, not at all. I can see it perhaps as a minor annoyance, but beyond that ... It is just tilting at windmills.

Now I have only played the GBA and iOS / Android versions … But I honestly don't get the big deal. To me it is like the Witcher 3 'graphics downgrade' thing …. Does it impact the game? No, not at all. I can see it perhaps as a minor annoyance, but beyond that … It is just tilting at windmills.

Well call me Quixotic if you want to, but I just can't get past it. Like, I look at these screenshots, and try to imagine myself playing these particular remakes and I just…I can't. They look soooo bad.

Just look at the various screenshots on the internet to see why.
I look at the screenshots and see awful graphics all around. I wouldn't expect anything else from a game that old. Why complain about them?

I look at the screenshots and see awful graphics all around. I wouldn't expect anything else from a game that old. Why complain about them?
Because the new 3D stretched look does not fit the game. ;)

Just read Caidh's posted link above for a better understanding why.
Now, before we begin, I want to address a discussion pattern I've seen:

ALICE:
This art is terrible! Just give me the original pixel art at this point.
BOB:
What's wrong with the new stuff? At least it's HD.
ALICE:
Where are your eyes? See the smudging? You're such a phillistine.
BOB:
What, you think ugly blocky pixels are better? You're such a snob. What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Alice is trying to point out glaring problems with the technical implementation, but Bob just hears "Alice is a weird hipster who thinks grainy black and white silent films are better than digital HD in full color with surround sound." Meanwhile Bob is trying to say that literally anything looks better to him than pixel graphics because he wasn't born in 1984 -- but all Alice hears is, "Bob's inability to see these problems can only be explained by a congenital visual impairment that covers his entire field of view with jpeg artifacts."

Yeah, Alice and Bob are a bit strawmannish, but you've seen this argument play out before.

I'm not interested in telling Alice and Bob what they should or shouldn't like. I am interested in giving Alice and Bob a proper technical vocabulary so they can put their feelings into words.

In the end my central point is this: "This game could have -- and should have -- looked much better, regardless of whether you prefer HD art or pixels."

I think the game visually looks excellent! They did some nice things in the Android version, like higher resolution battle backgrounds, a more high-res overworld map and other enhancements. Honestly, I think it looks better than ever!

Just play the game for awhile and you'll see. And let me tell you, graphics aside, the game is just as good as ever. With the addition of a Bestiary, you can play monster hunter in the game! And the music sounds better than ever as well. :)

I love it. I spent about 6 hours with the Android version thus far and think it's simply a great experience.

No offense meant here fluent, but as usual you love every game you play.^^

No offense meant here fluent, but as usual you love every game you play.^^

It's true. :mellow:

But the Android port that the PC version comes from is truly excellent. I just ask that you all give it a shot and play it for a few hours to see what you think. It really is great. :nod:

It's true. :mellow:

But the Android port that the PC version comes from is truly excellent. I just ask that you all give it a shot and play it for a few hours to see what you think. It really is great. :nod:

The thing you need to stop doing is talking about the Android version as if it is different from the iOS version. It's NOT. Identical ports, released within a month of each other.

The thing you need to stop doing is talking about the Android version as if it is different from the iOS version. It's NOT. Identical ports, released within a month of each other.

Okay, so the iOS/Android port of the game is excellent. Give it a shot and you will be in for a real treat. :nod:

I agree with Fluent, the backgrounds and maps look much nicer in this version. The character sprites could definitely be better but it doesn't strike me as the abomination that others see. And I'm a huge fan of the game going back to the snes original.

More problematic for me is the UI. It is pure laziness that they couldn't put the original menus back in. Those would look much more appropriate on the pc. Those touch screen menus just look bad.

I agree with Fluent, the backgrounds and maps look much nicer in this version. The character sprites could definitely be better but it doesn't strike me as the abomination that others see. And I'm a huge fan of the game going back to the snes original.

Big fan of the original here as well. I think the new sprites take a little getting used to, but they look great and animate expressively. It really is just a joy overall to play this game and see it freshly polished for a modern audience. Soon I'll have to check the rest of the series on Android/iOS since this port is so good. :)

Some people seem to be missing the point of why a lot of fans are complaining about the Steam version.

The iOS/Android version looks great... for an iOS/Android version. However, all Square did was basically just copy-paste an exact 1:1 port of the same version for Steam.

Gamers are accustomed to usually seeing improvements of some kind when you port something to a vastly superior platform. What Square did with the Steam version was just pure laziness.

The iOS/Android version looks great… for an iOS/Android version. However, all Square did was basically just copy-paste an exact 1:1 port of the same version for Steam.

Exactly ... True with SO MANY different things happening in both directions!

I was just playing Bastion, which released on PS Vita last week ... Really enjoy it on PC and iOS - but they made a mess of it in the port! True with so many games ... Deus Ex The Fall, as well as nearly every iOS -> PC port I have ever played.

Which is why when I got an email that it was discounted on GMG, and there is an additional 23% coupon, bringing it to about $10 ... I decided to 'pass', even though it is pretty much my favorite JRPG.

Back
Top Bottom