Child Of Light - Second Opinion @ PowerupGaming

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PowerupGaming offers a second opinion review of Ubisoft's fairy tale RPG Child Of Light. The game was a success last year, and received many positive reviews.

So, how does my second opinion stack up against Adam's original one? We agree on most counts, except that I am a fan of the rhyming speech while he is not. The music is also a huge bonus from my perspective, though that may not be as important to other players. I'll also quickly mention the DLC for this game. The Golem's Plight download gives you access to the Golem character quite early in the game. He is a powerhouse physical attacker, and quite the valuable resource.

Ultimately, I think that the original score of 8 out of 10 doesn't do this beautiful game justice. I'd lean more towards an 8.5 or a 9. It's not every day that you find a game that you can play over and over, enjoying it just as much on every reiteration.
More information.

I've been playing Child of Light recently and my feelings on the game are a bit mixed.

I love the visuals - both the art style and music are very enchanting. I also like JRPGs, so the combat (which reminds me of Final Fantasy X with the swapping character mechanic) was welcome.

Unfortunately, after a few hours, the game started feeling a little 'samey' for me and I've gotten bored. Part of it is the lack of upgrade options. You can't change equipment, and the skill trees really don't give you any new abilities, just upgrades of what you already have. Plus, chests usually just grant potions or common oculi shards that you probably already have a dozen copies of. Coupled with a simplistic story, I've found myself having to push myself to keep playing.

The technical backbone of the game is solid and it is worth trying for the art alone, but it really could just use more depth.

Agreed 100% dpc76. However, my son completed the game with blush on his face, longing for more... So , to each his own

Back
Top Bottom