Amplitude Studios - Acquired By Sega

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Endless Legend devs Amplitude have been acquired by Sega.

Sega have acquired Amplitude, creators of the Endless series of strategy games. Endless Legend was our game of the year in 2014 and its predecessor Endless Space is set to receive a direct sequel that will enter Early Access later this year. Sega will now publish that game, as well as assuming responsibility for the back catalogue of Endless games, which includes Dungeon of the Endless, a fantastic tower-defense/roguelike hybrid.

Amplitude are one of the smartest young strategy studios around and they join Creative Assembly, Relic and Sports Interactive (Football Manager is a strategy game) in Sega’s stable of PC developers. That’s a mighty strong line-up for a company that old men like me still associate with ancient consoles and platform games rather than PC publishing.

President/COO for Sega Europe Jurgen Post had this to say:

“To have the opportunity to add a studio with the growing reputation of Amplitude’s, to the SEGA family, is an exciting one and reinforces SEGA Europe’s position as a market leader in publishing high quality PC games. Culturally, Amplitude are a fantastic fit for the business as they not only produce great games, but also have a proven track record in listening to their fans and directly involving them in the ongoing development of their games through their GAMES2GETHER system.”

That GAMES2GETHER system creates a space for players to give early feedback and perhaps explains why Endless Legend’s time in Early Access was so pleasant. Truth be told, I’d all but forgotten it was ever in Early Access, despite playing it for tens of hours before release.

On the Amplitude side, co-founder Mathieu Girard made these comments:

“Joining the SEGA family represents the culmination of five years of hard work from myself and Romain and everyone here at Amplitude Studios. For the Endless series to be alongside PC franchises with such heritage as Total War and Dawn of War in the SEGA Europe stable puts our games where we feel they deserve to be. We look forward to leveraging SEGA Europe’s expertise in the PC market to take the Endless series to the next level.”

For further information, and to direct any questions about the acquisition in Amplitude’s direction, head to this page, where you can already find an initial answer to one burning question:

Of course you could wonder, “Why Sega?” If you were to ask just Mathieu and I, we could easily answer with the words “Creative Assembly and Relic!” because we are HUGE fans of their games. The opportunity to join them is incredible for us, a real dream come true.

But the bigger reason why we wanted to join SEGA was how they treat their internal studios. Often, studios are controlled by a central department that dictates what games they should do, and how and when. But SEGA is a company that offers its support to the creators, positioning itself as a service provider, helping studios to reach their goals with only one objective in mind: Quality!

Only time will tell if Amplitude and Sega will be a good fit, but as someone who is very much looking forward to Endless Space 2, I see no reason to despair or to cheer. If the plan is to allow Amplitude to follow their existing practices, as suggested by the continuation of GAMES2GETHER and an Early Access release, then the acquisition might not have a great deal of impact on current development at all. And it seems unlikely that Sega would want to make this move for one upcoming game and a small but impressive back catalogue, so hopefully it’ll ensure stability for future Endless titles, or whatever else Amplitude decide to turn their talents toward.
More information.

Great twenty DLC packs confirmed for Amplitude Studios next game. If you're wondering why I said this well Sega releases a shit ton of useless DLC's for strategy games.

Great twenty DLC packs confirmed for Amplitude Studios next game. If you're wondering why I said this well Sega releases a shit ton of useless DLC's for strategy games.

Pretty much this. You forgot the mandatory Blood and Gore DLC...:rolleyes:

I hadn't thought of that. :-/ Endless Space 2 is a must-buy in my house, but…I guess we'd better brace ourselves for DLC-O-Rama…

:raincloud:

Nooooo, damn then, damn Sega, one of the worst publishers.

Very happy for them, that they went corporate. Best way to avoid the problems of an indie dev that are hard to avoid in the long run.

Last edited:
First of all you seem to forget that Endless Legends already have tons of DLCs(btw they are still making DLCs for EL), and I expect same ammount for ES2. So it wont change anything except it will help them to stay away from indie dev problems.

Weird comments on DLC, as previously mentioned they already had it.

Valkyria Chronicles has 4 DLC that all came free with the PC version. Endless Space has... 5 I think. Definitely not free.

P.S. Uhh, I don't think Rock/Paper/Shotgun is going to be too happy about posting all but one sentence of their article. That's not even close to Fair Use.

Valkyria Chronicles has 4 DLC that all came free with the PC version. Endless Space has… 5 I think. Definitely not free.

Endless Space has one. Endless Legend has 6 of which one is free.

I'm generally not a fan of big corporates taking over studios. Usually results in a diluted product. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Huh? I've got 4 on my copy? Oh wait, three of them have something to do with pre-ordering. My bad. Endless Legends has 5, though, plus one free one.

You can all say what you want but it won't change my mind.:p

Just take a look at all their strategy games on Steam.

Link - http://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=9&publisher=SEGA

PS: 4 or more free/paid DLC's don't bother me, but how Sega handles DLC. They have effectually ruined the Total War games with the multiple Faction & Blood DLC's.

Let me see...Creative Assembly was bought at the time when they were about to put the final touches on the first Rome. Sega did not step in right away, though. It started the DLC experiments with Empire, but it was still at a minimum. Shogun 2 was the game that started the madness, with DLC's being pumped big time. Rome 2 was the peak, while Attila is relatively tame. Warhammer : Total War is barely starting and i expect heavy milking there.

Company of Heroes 2 takes the crown, though. Commander DLC's, camo skins DLC's and...faceplates?! Probably over 80 DLC's by now. And if the skins and the faceplates are pure cosmetics, the Commanders should have been in game since launch, as they actually are linked to the gameplay (on MP side).

And god...Football Manager DLC fest.....

Back
Top Bottom