Dead Island Trailers

I really liked the original Alice game as well and was looking forward to the sequel but I'm not so sure anymore after reading that the Official Playstation Magazine has slammed the game with a 5/10 score. Naturally you have to be very careful, especially with any "official magazine" reviews but I am getting a strong caveat emptor do not pre-order signal from this one. Will be waiting for a demo or further reviews for sure (or a Steam sale where it goes for EUR < 10.00).

Interview with Vincet Kummer at E3. Basically it's the same thing you've heard before with maybe a few new tidbits. The interesting part is during the interview they're showing the game in action starting from the church.

If you're only interested in seeing someone playing the game then skip to 3:30.

If you're only interested in seeing the actual combat then skip to 6:00.

There is something that I learned while watching this that I did not know. You'll respawn when you die……I hope to god they let us disable that.

There is something that I learned while watching this that I did not know. You'll respawn when you die……I hope to god they let us disable that.

Indeed, I hate that. I've been playing Borderlands recently, and that's another game where you respawn upon death. I usually just exit to the menu and reload when I die, but at least there's an in-game explanation for the respawning in Borderlands. It wouldn't make any sense in Dead Island.

respawn=nonrpg

respawn is not an acceptable replacement for saving and loading system. if i recall didn't borderlands have a checkpoint system rather than an anytime/anywhere system which i prefer? also whatever the explanation it was a load of bs.

at least in bioshock you could save and load everywhere and the vita chambers which i didn't use made complete sense in the game story and was vital to it in fact in a game whose whole premise was about invention and genetics. the only reason i left them on especially in 2, which i'm currently replaying, is that if you don't you have a small window in which to reload otherwise it takes a long ass time to go back and through the menus whereas if you respawn you save a large amount of time by reloading within the game level, which even on a supercomputer makes some difference.

at least in bioshock you could save and load everywhere and the vita chambers which i didn't use made complete sense in the game story

You thought it made complete sense that you could be brought back to life with 1940s technology? ;)

more so than in the middle ages or any other game. i think i choose the powers of scientific potential over elven magic, etc.? ;)

if you can build an entire city underwater the un-sky is the limit

more so than in the middle ages or any other game. i think i choose the powers of scientific potential over elven magic, etc.? ;)

By comparison, the explanation in Borderlands was more plausible. At least that was in a sci-fi setting.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. Like skavenhorde said, I hope that feature can be disabled in Dead Island.

i guess that's your opinion which i wholeheartedly do not share. and besides bioshock 2 is not even possible without the vitachambers as that is how you are "resurrected" in the begining of the game after being dead for nearly a decade. also dispite beating this horse to death borderlands is hardly much less a "sci-fi" setting than bioshock, simply since something takes place presumably further in the future doesn't really mean it has to be sci-fi and more than something in the past means its unable to be. borderlands was a hillbilly, zombie slaying, badlands, and comic feel to it. even without the cell-shading it fit the last category really well which comics anyhow were kind of the old-school sci-fi which is much more prevalent in movies and games as until recently comics have always been kind of a low-tech world.

also some of the most brillant people in civilization lived thousands of years ago. maybe the average person is smarter now than many years prior but that hardly means much.

oh and on top of whether or not it is possible the simple fact that the world of bioshock is full of far more "intelligent design", no not the religious type, than the ridiculous, visceral, and at many times hugely intellegence insulting borderlands gameplay that alone means i'm more likely to have that "suspension of belief" that games strive for intact rather than simply become uninvolved and simply trying to level up and aquire more loot like borderlands. i imagine borderlands fun increased when playing with others but as i nearly always play singleplayer its obvious its a subpar singleplayer game.

that said i believe dead island will hopefully offer great singleplayer regardless of what multiplayer elements they have. i have a lot of respect for techland dispite their prior games being very linear.

Having a "comic" feel doesn't make Borderlands less sci-fi. Nor does it mean that resurrection is more plausible in Bioshock. You can rationalize until you're blue in the face, but that won't make something true.

At least it sounds like you've managed to convince yourself though.

Gamebanshee's got a bunch of previews (should I be covering this game?): http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/103384-dead-island-previews-and-interview.html

Escapist:
The island's open environment occasionally offers multiple paths to get to a location. The scale is more reminiscent of Far Cry than Fallout 3, but there is plenty of fun to be had by exploring and seeing what you can get away with in the game world. The game's excellent mini-map keeps the player from feeling lost in Dead Island's large and dangerous world. It curves and redirects you to your objective, as you explore and walk along new paths.

The demo was short and sweet, but everything from the score that sounds like John Carpenter playing Caribbean tunes to the intense opening sequence has me excited for the full game. Dead Island might be the first zombie game to make me feel like I am truly in danger, as the player - even despite the clear blue sky and gorgeous beach surrounding the mayhem.

Joystiq's review is all about co-op……booorrrriiinggg I still haven't played co-op in Dead Rising 2. No need. They just get in my way when I'm exploring :p

Gamepro:
And while it may appear to be a somewhat shallow game where all you're doing is wildly flailing blunt instruments at onrushing zombies, hoping to hit something, there’s a bit more depth to what you're doing. For instance, more advanced zombie classes require that you target their arms in order to break their bones and weaken them.

After playing Dead Island for a good chunk of time I'm glad to see it's approaching survival-horror in some interesting ways. It's not reinventing the genre, but it's riffing on what's worked in horror games (and shooters) in new ways. Let's hope that the rest of the game is as polished and fun as the areas they've shown off so far.

I gave up on reading the rest of the previews. The highlights were about co-op or how it doesn't look like a good co-op…Dude, enough with the freaking co-op already.

So it's not quite what I expected after seeing that first trailer with the death of that girl. Too bad…..but here's the great news. It still sounds like Dead Rising mixed in with Borderlands. I don't mind that at all, just a little let down that they emphasized this story (in that beautifully made trailer) and I'm not sure if they'll be able to deliver.

And again please, please let us disable respawning. I don't need or want it.

Good point. Armed with the indestructible mighty stilettos of zombie butt kicking I'll never die :D

Keeper xSamhainx have you seen Dungeon Keeper: War for the Overworld?

I won't hold my breath on it actually being made, but you never know.

wow, that could be epic if done right. Imagine, you create a subterranean base and send your minions topside to raze and pillage, meanwhile the enemy defends and sends forces to wipe out your base. Topside and dungeon both going at once, it would be DK to the next level. Pun intended.

sorry JDR dispite my undying love for you i will now forever associate you with the following quote
"The future will be better tomorrow"- Dan Quale

also i don't need convincing. we wouldn't be having this conversation except you obviously haven't played bioshock 2 or we would have wasted all this time. i claim error or lack of knowledge when i have it some choose to believe what they want on what little info they have. technically anything that is quasi-reality can be sci-fi, assassins creed despite mostly occuring in the past, or even sarah palin's version of the midnight ride could make a great new sci-fi revolutionary war epic...

also i don't need convincing. we wouldn't be having this conversation except you obviously haven't played bioshock 2 or we would have wasted all this time. i claim error or lack of knowledge when i have it some choose to believe what they want on what little info they have. technically anything that is quasi-reality can be sci-fi, assassins creed despite mostly occuring in the past, or even sarah palin's version of the midnight ride could make a great new sci-fi revolutionary war epic…

Actually, I have played Bioshock 2, and I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed for you at this point. Our opinions on this have nothing to do with error or lack of knowledge, but I find it pretty funny that you're taking it so seriously. :)

Yea, noticed that too. It was pretty funny. Dude gets knocked on his butt then the zombies just take a "time out". Maybe they're very honorable zombies. The refuse to kick a man when he's down….or rather eat a man when he's down :D

Still like what I'm seeing though. It definitely is Dead Rising mixed in with Borderlands, but I'm still playing Dead Rising and Borderlands to this day so that's not such a bad thing.

The little details are what is going to set this apart from DR and Border like weapon decay. I was wondering about that from the previous interview because I saw that the weapons had names like "Frail such and such". I figured it might just meant how much damage it does, but nope it means how sturdy it is and how soon it will break. Little details like that are what is either going to make this a great game or just a mediocre one.

Can't say I'm exactly thrilled with another run and gun zombie game after watching/reading Walking Dead and World War Z (awesome book btw), but there are two games in the making that will be more like those, Dead State and Project Zomboid (expect newsbits on PZ when it starts to get more fleshed out). Dead island looks like it is trying to take the run and gun zombie game a bit further.

This one still remains an instant buy on release day.

Edit: Keeper Sammy, did you notice the "stinking" zombies? Plague monk zombies. These zombies have been talking to my skaven. Bet you didn't know that rats can speak zombie :biggrin:

Last edited:
Yeah, looks like there's going to be several different breeds. Along those lines, I also noticed quite a few different zombie character models. They werent all the same 3 zombie models, I saw quite a few different bodies/clothes/faces etc.

Back
Top Bottom