Raphael Sbarge - AKA Kaidan Alenko Talks Mass Effect 4

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Puresophistry has an audio interview with Raphael Sbarge better known as the voice of Kaidan Alenko.
It wasn’t until Mass Effect 3 when Bioware offered same sex romances options for players that a measure of equality was reached. Sbarge goes into detail as to why this was important not only for the game, but for the industry in general. (Starts at 31:20)

"I was thrilled when they introduced the Homosexual romance options in Mass Effect 3 just because obviously there was a huge audience. I spoke to the developers about it, they said they provided so many different choices we were proud of, to be really honest it was just another piece of extra content that didn’t make the final cut in the other games.

What’s amazing about the game for people is that you can cross gender! You can play through in any capacity you want, imaginatively for any of us that’s a huge factor in the experience. All of the opportunities and complexities are fascinating, and that’s what games allow to go down the rabbit hole and explore it.

As far as relationships, the writing is so wonderful. Dealing with issues of rank, emotionality and a sense of separation in Mass Effect 2. As I understand it, more women began play video games as a results of Mass Effect, I think because of these romance elements.”

Finally Raphael does make comment on the ending of Mass Effect 3, how he believes fans received it and what lies ahead for Mass Effect 4. (Will he playing Kaidan’s Great Great Grandfather?(Starts at 18:10)

“It was done, and people flipped out. What was so interesting about that is Bioware responded, they took it really soulfully to heart and really addressed it. Speaking to the fans and created that other additional content to play through other areas of the game.

Even though on the one hand it was incredibly sad not just for the fans but the people who spent a decade working on this game, but there is something in the fact it’s over. That makes it very precious in a way. It almost makes it more special and remarkable, that folks were part of Mass Effect. That elite club of millions.

That’s not to say that there isn’t sadness but it’s being felt by gamers and developers but they said publicly there will be Mass Effect 4. “
More information.

I'm fine with games having homosexual relationship options, but I'd prefer to be able to turn it off at the very start. It doesn't add anything to my gaming enjoyment.

I tried a lesbian relationship with femshepard, but her voice in the game is so soulless and repulsive compared to the awesome voice of the comm. officer chick that I couldn't play the game beyond the first map as female. Her looks is perfect, but Bioware should have employed a real voice actor, not that poor unfortunate Jennifer Hale.

Bioware should have employed a real voice actor, not that poor unfortunate Jennifer Hale.

You're aware, that vast majority of people would say these things about Mark Meer, not Jennifer Hale, right? Maybe i'm biased, because i really liked her work in Planescape: Torment and KOTOR, and didn't really play any Mass Effects with a female character, but she is an industry vet, with a long list of credits (started videogame voice acting with Quest for Glory IV in 1995) and i doubt ANY of her work would be shoddy.

Tragically, crewman Alenko never made it past midgame of ME1 in any playthrough of the series by me. I would have missed staring at crewman Williams' ass for another 200 hours, and I figured ship morale would have suffered.

Bioware should have employed a real voice actor, not that poor unfortunate Jennifer Hale.
Funny, vast majority will say quite the opposite of what you did there. I am somewhat curious as to what qualifies as a 'real voice actor' in your book, if Jannifer Hale, of all people, doesn't.
That is, if you are not just trolling.

"poor unfortunate Jennifer Hale."

Omg, Jennifer Hale is by far my favorite voice actor.

Are we still on this Male vs Female Shepherd Debate? I played both and they each have their plus and negatives. This debate always pops up.:rolleyes:

Sbarge does a fine job with a character who, as written, is kind of hard to love.

I like Kaiden. I actually prefer him to Ashley, but Ashley is a far more natural romance option so Kaiden often bites the dust. It's a real shame, as he's less of an ass in ME2 and 3.

As for voice actors - Hale is awesome. A bit too easy to recognize these days due to Bastila and Shepard, but I still like her work. She always does a good job.

Meer did fine work as well, but I feel BioWare made a mistake when they let him do a bunch of other voices in ME as well (such as various Volus), as it feels a bit odd to "talk to yourself".

Seriously, you thought he was less of an ass in ME2? He has barely anything to say, but I was instantly sorry I'd kept him alive - "Geez, now the planet's been invaded - another thing they'll blame me for." Yes, Eeyore, this is all about your feelings.

Back
Top Bottom