Witcher 2 A "fix" for non-16:9 resolutions

The Witcher 2

DeepO

deep outside
I´ve stumbled upon an utility which removes the horizontal black bars.
They´re still there in menus, though the utility has also an option to stretch these elements to full screen (which doesn´t look well I think).
Can be downloaded from here: http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/
I think it works pretty much flawlessly, but there is a caveat - it doesn´t work with all versions and 1.1 patch (which however doesn´t seem worth installing) is not supported yet.
edit: the utility was updated to work with 1.1.
edit2: I´ve played with it today for a while and unfortunately it does not work as "flawlessly" as I thought - mainly due to how got hit/poisoned screen effects work, playing with HUD/menus being stretched vertically is a must and that sorta compromises the game artistically (portraits in journal especially).
It´s not so bad on 16:10 (still a no-go for me), but most likely unusable on 4:3.
Maybe the author will improve the utility in time, but hopefully CDProjekt will address this in the near future. On 16:10, the bars proved to be rather non-issue for me, but it certainly is a better visual experience when playing without them.

This is how it looks on 16:10 with the utility on:

fqu0o.jpg

Last edited:
This got updated to work with 1.2.
Despite what I said in one of my edits above, I haven´t found the hit/poison screen effect issue a big deal after a while so I´d say it´s worth givin´ it a shot after all, at least for those with 16:10.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I have a 16:10 screen as well, so this software is something I'll look for once I get my hands on the game!

Oddly enough, I never consciously noticed the bars when playing in 16:10. It was a total non-issue for me.

Still, I hope CDP officially adds those other resolutions in their next patch.

Oddly enough, I never consciously noticed the bars when playing in 16:10. It was a total non-issue for me.
For me it was less of an issue than I thought it´d be, but once I played without the bars for a while, I couldn´t go back to letterbox anyway, despite the above mentioned screen effect issue :).

As a side note, one of the previous versions also provided variety of camera tweaks (first person, different camera distances and such), but since it was causing some issues, the author removed these for now. Maybe these will be re-introduced later.

Back
Top Bottom