Should i play Chrono Trigger?

RPGfreak

Watcher
I keep reading everywhere i go that it is the greatest game ever created, and other than gameplay it has an amazing story (so no spoilers please :) ) and unique features and so and so.

But it is a Jrpg, and i seem to have grown out of them. Ive played FFX (amazing) too much and i think now i cant spare the time for the grinding nature of a Jrpg.

But... I have stopped playing online games and modern "rpgs" and made a switch to games with a personality, like To The Moon and Amnesia. I really want to experience the story chrono trigger offers, but i just dont know if i could stand the sometimes grinding nature of Jrpgs (i have moved to more real time tactics kind of games).

So what do you think?

Chrono Trigger isn't very grindy at all. It's not one of those games where you have to farm XP for long periods in order to be strong enough to beat the bosses. It also has one of the most amazing soundtracks ever created for a video game.

I dislike the vast majority of JRPGs, but Chrono Trigger is fantastic even by today's standards.

If GoG ever found a way to sell Chrono Trigger, to get it working on current pc's and have the rights to do sales, I think they'd live off it for years. It really is a good game, I totally enjoyed it when I played it on my son's system back in the day. I'd play it again in a heartbeat.

As JDR said, there is no grind in Chrono Trigger. It's not a super hardcore game, I guess you could say.

Definitely play it. It's an amazing game, even by today's standards. Beautiful, detailed graphics, amazing soundtrack, unique story, great characters, interesting locations...it has it all.

I haven't finished DS version. You'll get some tedious teenish things/views/characters as in all (or most) JRPG, but any RPG player should give it a go and certainly finish it to understand all the complexity of the story. I don't remember why I stopped play it, perhaps the too small screen even with the DS XL, or I didn't enjoyed enough the combats or perhaps even get stuck in some area with tricky stuff. But it's a must play.

I wouldn't agree it's the greatest RPG ever nor that it hasn't any flaws, but it's a masterpiece, and if I had finished I would probably have an even better opinion. :)

I usually don't like JRPGs, but Chrono Trigger is one of those exceptions that I actually enjoyed (it and Xenogears, Final Fantasy 6 & Final Fantasy 9 are the only JRPGs that I can I liked enough to actually recommend). It had a certain charm to it, and it was not as tedious as most other JRPGs when it comes to combat.

Lots of JRPGs from the SNES era are actually very enjoyable. While I don't remember any details at all, I do remember having played the likes of Secret of Mana, Terranigma or Illusion of Gaia. Such games age very well due to their sprite-based graphics.

Just to second what everyone else said, fantastic game, graphics and sounds is good by today's standards, and story is unique.

The SNES has a lot of great games, too bad they don't make games like those anymore.

Yes, you should play it. It's a fantastic game as others have mentioned. I will say though, it tends to be overrated to some degree.

I don't feel it's the greatest JRPG ever made. As good as it is, I'm not even sure I'd put it on my top 10 list and think some games in the Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star and Shin Megami Tensei series are better.

But it's a lot of fun, is very polished, has great characters, an awesome soundtrack and it's short enough where it doesn't overstay its welcome.

No reason not to try! If you're not hooked in 20 mins. ditch it.

It kind of doesn't have the real time tactics you mentioned as it's turn-based.

Dunno, 20 minutes in you could still be at the intro fair. I'd try playing a bit longer.

No reason not to try! If you're not hooked in 20 mins. ditch it.

It kind of doesn't have the real time tactics you mentioned as it's turn-based.

20mn? At this point it feels still too teenish or you mean 20mn of rush play. I wouldn't suggest give up before to about 2H of play.

No real time really? I remember timed thing, like sort of STE, Slow Time Event that invented JRPG and finally degenerated in QTE just because kids play more and more and then are more and more skilled in video games and then needed QTE instead of boring too slow STE.

EDIT: All of this was written with a large dose of smile/laugh.

Back
Top Bottom