Aranyus - A New Open World RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Forum member black rune sent me information about another ambitious kickstarter game called Aranyus: A Journey Begins RPG. Here is a Pre-Alpha video to get us started.

The games developer Marius Horia Popa is asking for $85,000 to fund his game.
First of all, I want to thank you for stopping at my project. My name is Marius H. Popa, 3D Generalist, and my goal with Aranyus series is to revive the feelings that we all found in some old school RPG, especially open world games, my favorites. The best example I can give is Gothic, which is, in my opinion, the best game ever created. Aranyus is a game born from an idea that I have for some years, it's a dream that I have about creating a game for real gamers. With your help this dream may come true. Let's create a good RPG and a nice community around this game. Now I would like to invite you to read more about my game. Aranyus - A Journey Begins will be the first one of the Aranyus series which will contain three games.
More information.

Last edited:
Hi,
I just find my game here and I want to say a huge Thank you to "black rune" and "Couchpotato". I was (and I am) very happy to see that you guys like my game, I'm glad to see that my work it's not in vain. Thank you again.

Gothic 1 is always a good inspiration in my book but with this line "The game will adapt itself based on your stats, so you'll never be too strong or too weak.", I lost my interest. Good luck though!

Hi,
thank you for your comments. I will try to explain what I was saying with "The game will adapt itself based on your stats, so you'll never be too strong or too weak.", looks like I wasn't clear. Ok, I guess in a game it's not very funny to be a "god", where is the challenge then ? In my opinion a game should challenge the player from the start to the end. Now , wait ... I just realize that this statement was , how to say, unnecessary and wrong. I was writing that description late in the night, bad idea. Anyway, let's make it a lot simple. If you like Gothic gameplay, you will like Aranyus as well. Man, I don like writing, I guess I'm just not good. Time to go back to 3D modelling. :D

OMG this is so bad. Sorry, so very bad. And what's up with the intro about a parallel universe? Yes, a universe of brain dead people, all dressed the same, wondering around like, well, brain dead people.... At least I had a good laugh. Next....

85K?
I don't think that's enough for Gothic style game. Honestly.
Backed it, but... A project like that needs more cash.

Hi joxer,
Thank you for your help, I know I need more, but if I can get those 85k, then I can get some more money, private funding, in the end will be enough, I have make the plans :).

P.S. to mbpopolano24, you should read that it's not a finished game, it's in the VERY ALPHA stage. Unfortunately there's no "Make the game" button, it's a lot of work and I work alone for now. Every game in the early stages of development it's not great. I don't ask you anything, you don't like it , it's OK. There is no game, movie, song, etc. that will be liked by all people. ;)

Hi,
thank you for your comments. I will try to explain what I was saying with "The game will adapt itself based on your stats, so you'll never be too strong or too weak.", looks like I wasn't clear. Ok, I guess in a game it's not very funny to be a "god", where is the challenge then ? In my opinion a game should challenge the player from the start to the end. Now , wait … I just realize that this statement was , how to say, unnecessary and wrong. I was writing that description late in the night, bad idea. Anyway, let's make it a lot simple. If you like Gothic gameplay, you will like Aranyus as well. Man, I don like writing, I guess I'm just not good. Time to go back to 3D modelling. :D
I'm interested, but again you haven't exlpained how the adaption will work. ;)

Best of luck MariusP. Hope your game sees the light of day at it's best features.
And all the credits go to Couchpotato and RPGWatch.

I'm interested, but again you haven't exlpained how the adaption will work. ;)
Hi, I will try again :) . Let's say, for example, that on your first level you kill a wolf with maybe 10 sword hits, on a higher level you will kill that wolf with, let's say 5 hits. So, the enemies will advance in level as you do. When the player is on level 10 the wolf is also on level 10, this means that even if you kill that wolf easier it will still be strong enough to not let you get bored. I don't think that a level 30 player should kill every creature on the map with just one hit. Another thing is that you will always find new creatures, enemies, who will challenge you. My goal with Aranyus is to not let the player get bored, and even if I can't explain here very well, I know that I can do that in the game, I can explain in game. :)
I hope I'm a little clearer now, as I said above, I'm not so good at writing and like you already see English is not my first language.

Thank you Black Rune. The game will see the light of day, but when ... it's depends on money. I really want to create a good game and I will do anything I can for this. :)

Hi, I will try again :) . Let's say, for example, that on your first level you kill a wolf with maybe 10 sword hits, on a higher level you will kill that wolf with, let's say 5 hits.
That sounds good.
So, the enemies will advance in level as you do. When the player is on level 10 the wolf is also on level 10, this means that even if you kill that wolf easier it will still be strong enough to not let you get bored.
Well, that's level scaling. It's a thing a lot of people don't like. ;)
I don't think that a level 30 player should kill every creature on the map with just one hit.
Well, if the 30 level player encounters the same creatures he encountered at level 1, he should indeed kill them with one hit.
Another thing is that you will always find new creatures, enemies, who will challenge you. My goal with Aranyus is to not let the player get bored
But there are other ways besides level scaling to achieve this.

That sounds good.
Well, that's level scaling. It's a thing a lot of people don't like. ;)
Well, if the 30 level player encounters the same creatures he encountered at level 1, he should indeed kill them with one hit.

Well it's not really a level scaling, some of the enemies will advance in level, but just slightly, so they won't die with just one hit, could be 2-3 hits OR one critical hit, no more. Going back to wolf example, when you are at, let's say level 20, it will take 2-3 hits OR just one critical hit to kill that wolf. And the critical hit chance will depends on how many skill point you invest in this ability.
Offff... today I write a lot in English. :D

Well it's not really a level scaling, some of the enemies will advance in level, but just slightly, so they won't die with just one hit, could be 2-3 hits OR one critical hit, no more. Going back to wolf example, when you are at, let's say level 20, it will take 2-3 hits OR just one critical hit to kill that wolf. And the critical hit chance will depends on how many skill point you invest in this ability.
Offff… today I write a lot in English. :D

Still level scaling. I do NOT want level scaling, I want to be able to look at that wolf at level 30 and it should die from fear. On the other hand, if I meet say a dragon at level 4 (I'm looking at you Skyrim..) I would expect to die a gloriously fiery death. Repeatedly. Like 47 reloads. Until I either give up and try to avoid it or find some stupid exploit to take it out… (MM8 anyone?).

Good luck with your game, but you lost my pledge at the level scaling part, although there are alot of people who have nothing against those mechanics.

Still level scaling. I do NOT want level scaling, I want to be able to look at that wolf at level 30 and it should die from fear. On the other hand, if I meet say a dragon at level 4 (I'm looking at you Skyrim..) I would expect to die a gloriously fiery death. Repeatedly. Like 47 reloads. Until I either give up and try to avoid it or find some stupid exploit to take it out… (MM8 anyone?).

Good luck with your game, but you lost my pledge at the level scaling part, although there are alot of people who have nothing against those mechanics.

Hmmm, seems that you guys really don't like level scaling. You think is a bad idea ? Like I said above, I want people to like this game and if level scaling is a bad idea, you think I should remove it ? For me, on the programing side, is a lot easier without level scaling.

I agree with others that you can't have a wolf be difficult at levels 10 and up. Now, if its an ice wolf or dire wolf or worg, then that makes sense. The key is not to all of a sudden remove all wolves and have only worgs. That breaks immersion. You can slowly add more powerful enemies as the game progresses but still need the wimpy creatures. Make the wimpy creatures have usable parts that still makes killing them necessary.

If you have something to say about mechanics just tell me, the game is in development. I don't want to create just a game, I want to create a game that players will love it. Your comments are welcome, I'm open to some suggestions about mechanics and especially about this level scaling. :)

I agree with others that you can't have a wolf be difficult at levels 10 and up. Now, if its an ice wolf or dire wolf or worg, then that makes sense. The key is not to all of a sudden remove all wolves and have only worgs. That breaks immersion. You can slowly add more powerful enemies as the game progresses but still need the wimpy creatures. Make the wimpy creatures have usable parts that still makes killing them necessary.

Thank you for your suggestion. I guess you all have a good point. I just speak with some other people and think the same. I'm really glad that I find this forum, you help me a lot.

Back
Top Bottom