Consortium - Review @ Steam First

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Steam First has a new late review posted yesterday for Consortium, and awarded the game with a score of 4.5/5. Probably the highest score since it was released.

It has been a very long time since I have played through the original Deus Ex, though when I spoke to the developer at PAX, that was a major touch point for their description. Since I can’t vouch for that, the reader may ask why I bring it up. The reason is this: for the few flaws this game has, I have not been pulled into a story like this in a long time. Part of it may be the fact that I played differently than I usually do, but I would also say that the story flexibility afforded, the high quality of the writing, and the attention to detail in the initial lore planted my rear in my computer chair and I did not want it to end. If mentioning Deus Ex will get more people to try it, mention it I will.
More information.

If mentioning Deus Ex will get more people to try it, mention it I will.
Errrr... No.
It's not DX, not even close.

Consortium is a short VN with rich story, superb voiceovers, likeable characters and a few RPG elements nicely done.
It's set as a first part of the trilogy which means the story won't end, however the savegame can be used in the sequel developers are already working on.

You don't have to care for VN genre, still you won't be able to resist it's charm.
It's so likeable it feels like Mars:War Logs. Or, don't start spitting on me, Fallout 1.
A brilliant, promising and polished start of a franchise.

Sounds like I must have been playing a very different version of this game, because just about the last game I would compare it to, both in terms of style and quality, would be a game like Deus Ex.

haven't tried this yet..

That comment was taken a little out of context. Consortium is actually unlike pretty much any other game out there - it's been compared to System Shock 2, The Stanley Parable, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, The Last Express, Star Trek…. but it's not really like any of those individually.

The gist of the way I described it is that Consortium is a love letter to purely story driven, single-player first-person sci-fi games *like* some of those games. But it's definitely a highly original experience entirely of our own creation.

Consortium is so driven by player actions and decisions that it can come across quite differently from player to player…

BTW, anyone that played it in the January-April time-frame and found it lacking should consider playing it now - we really improved the game a ton with the Master Edition release and the subsequent patch. Another patch is incoming as well….

-Gregory @ iDGi (Consortium dev team)

Back
Top Bottom