Aranyus - Gameplay & Spending

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
My post from yesterday has managed to get some funding for Aranyus, but the game still need needs your help. The developer Marius Horia Popaalo also released new updates.

The first update shares a graph of how the funding will be used.

2ada0233c2c8d8fd94849ccb0931317d_large.jpg

The second update talks about Gameplay.

Gameplay is both Hack&Slash and Nonlinear. The game focuses on weapons, both melee and range, the player has access to magic, but it will be limited, you can't become a master wizard. From the start, the player must invest skill points in either melee or range, and also on some basic stats like: strength, constitution, agility, etc. Skill points are earned when the player reaches a new level. A higher level will also give the player access to more powerful weapons and armor. In order to advance in levels the player will need experience, player can earn experience by completing quests, killing enemies or in the training area.

Like I say above, the gameplay will also be nonlinear. This means that you are not restricted on how you want to complete quests and you get more freedom. The game will have two possible endings based on the player chooses along the story. Another feature in the game is that the player can create some of the things he needs, for example, if you run out of heal potions, but you have the right ingredients, you only need a fire to make your own heal potions. You can also craft weapons if you have materials, a blueprint and Crafting skill unlocked. You don't like crafting? Don't worry, there won't be quests related to this.
More information.

You must be kidding me. There is a single "donor" who put down $2k (thanks mom?), another one for $100, and just 16 backers since they started. This is going to be an epic fail. As it should.

And once again we can all ignore the troll that is mbpopolano24.:)

So don't take his reply to seriously Marius.

The game looks good (to me) but you really have to come better prepared if you want to receive that kind of cash from Kickstarter. You can't just have vague idea of what game you want to deliver, you have to have it pretty much done, at least on paper.

Like the discussion we had yesterday about level scaling, and Marius response that maybe he shouldn't have level scaling then. No no no. It's alright to take feedback to make the game better, but you have to have a clear vision and stay true to it. This just feels way to "Hey, lets do a Kickstarter and make an awesome game, if we just get the money the rest will work itself out". You can't just throw features out there and hope it sounds good enough for people to pledge, you have to show you actually have a plan and you have to be able to make people believe in the plan. "We'll have stats, and combat, and open world, and crafting…" Nice. What stats? How EXACTLY will character progression work, how will combat be resolved, what's the background lore, what kind of dialogue system will you use. Level scaling, respawns, UI, twitch or slow paced. We all have our pet peeves.

WHO are you going to sell your game to, who should pledge and why? For the people that love Skyrim, I don't think it's possible to do a Kickstarter with that kind of scope, nor do I think the "Kickstarter crowd" is mainly interested in those kind of games. We HAVE those kind of games already. To succeed in a Kickstarter, you have to deliver something the big publishers won't because it's not profitable enough. And that means getting your facts and numbers straight, because alot of us could back a game if the mechanics sounds interesting enough. I would however be hesitant to back a game based on a good looking video that reveals no actual gameplay like this one.

This Kickstarter is not likely to succeed, but if he learns from his mistake a builds a more solid foundation for the game a future Kickstarter might.

EDIT: And I mean absolutley no offense towards Marius, you seem like a really nice guy and from looking at the video I can see that you're not all talk but actually know what you're doing. But knowing what you're doing is not the same thing as knowing what you want to do. ;)

Last edited:
Ah, what the hell, I'll pledge because he dares to dream big and it's a small amount asked. Don't think the Kickstarter will catch momentum, but maybe a few solid updates can change that.

I see nothing at all wrong with the Kickstarter.

Good luck, Marius! Shoot for the stars! :)

it is a noble attempt. gothic was one of the best rpg's out there(1).

Maybe Couch should "throw" a few questions for Marius. Make an interview to clarify few things about the game and the creators vision. That could help.
Just a suggestion.

Maybe Couch should "throw" a few questions for Marius. Make an interview to clarify few things about the game and the creators vision. That could help.
Just a suggestion.
I could but it wouldn't be posted till next week as I have three articles to post already. I will ask him if he is interested in doing an interview at least.:)

Last edited:
Yes, I have done some mistakes in advertising and detailing how this game will be, I'm more a practical guy, love to work but when it's the writing part or marketing…:'(
Anyway, I hope I learn from mistakes. I know that 99,999% this campaign will fail, that's why now I'm thinking on a new campaign, maybe in January. Until there I will work on the game and I will bring to you a lot more from my vision. Now, with the help receive here, I know what to show about my game, I will prepare a video showing a lot more about gameplay, combat etc.

Thank you all !

P.S. Couchpotato, I will do the interview, my first one. Thanks. :cool:

The game looks good (to me) but you really have to come better prepared if you want to receive that kind of cash from Kickstarter. You can't just have vague idea of what game you want to deliver, you have to have it pretty much done, at least on paper.

Like the discussion we had yesterday about level scaling, and Marius response that maybe he shouldn't have level scaling then. No no no. It's alright to take feedback to make the game better, but you have to have a clear vision and stay true to it. This just feels way to "Hey, lets do a Kickstarter and make an awesome game, if we just get the money the rest will work itself out". You can't just throw features out there and hope it sounds good enough for people to pledge, you have to show you actually have a plan and you have to be able to make people believe in the plan. "We'll have stats, and combat, and open world, and crafting…" Nice. What stats? How EXACTLY will character progression work, how will combat be resolved, what's the background lore, what kind of dialogue system will you use. Level scaling, respawns, UI, twitch or slow paced. We all have our pet peeves.

WHO are you going to sell your game to, who should pledge and why? For the people that love Skyrim, I don't think it's possible to do a Kickstarter with that kind of scope, nor do I think the "Kickstarter crowd" is mainly interested in those kind of games. We HAVE those kind of games already. To succeed in a Kickstarter, you have to deliver something the big publishers won't because it's not profitable enough. And that means getting you facts and numbers straight, because alot of us could back a game if the mechanics sounds interesting enough. I would however be hesitant to back a game based on a good looking video that reveals no actual gameplay like this one.

This Kickstarter is not likely to succeed, but if he learns from his mistake a builds a more solid foundation for the game a future Kickstarter might.

EDIT: And I mean absolutley no offense towards Marius, you seem like a really nice guy and from looking at the video I can see that you're not all talk but actually know what you're doing. But knowing what you're doing is not the same thing as knowing what you want to do. ;)

Couldn't have put it better myself. That's some very constructive feedback. :)

I would also add: get a native English speaker to do your communication. Sloppy language just makes the project look amateurish, regardless of the vision within.

Yes, I have done some mistakes in advertising and detailing how this game will be, I'm more a practical guy, love to work but when it's the writing part or marketing…:'(
For your next campaign just get somebody on board who's a good writer and perhaps has a little marketing knowledge. :)

For your next campaign just get somebody on board who's a good writer and perhaps has a little marketing knowledge. :)

Yes, I guess I should do that. Having somebody doing that will also give me more time to work :) . Thank you all for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom