Mass Effect 3 Will Require Origin

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Its official just incase anyone is still wondering Mass Effect 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur will require the origin service client.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8975536

I know this is an important topic to a lot of people (and it likely reflects the same policy that will be utilized for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning), so I'm going to point you over to a newly posted Q&A from BioWare's Chris Priestly that confirms Mass Effect 3's Origin requirement and what it means for your day-to-day gaming entertainment. The lack of Steam availability is a pretty serious issue for me, so hopefully Valve and EA come up with some kind of resolution soon:

Below are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Origin and Mass Effect 3. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to answer them.

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store)
Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware. Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines. In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process.

7) Has the Origin EULA been updated following recent questions in Germany?
The German Origin EULA has been updated. For more information, please review the Origin EULA here: http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas.

8) Is there a double-opt in for Mass Effect 3 marketing emails for German residents?
Yes, we always adhere to the German requirement of a double opt-in standard for marketing emails. Mass Effect 3 users must opt-in twice to receive these emails.

Its is required for sp and mp by the way.

Last edited:
I find this kind of funny, because in my eyes STeam = Origins :

The lack of Steam availability is a pretty serious issue for me, so hopefully Valve and EA come up with some kind of resolution soon

Both Steam AND Origins is basically the same kind of "implicite DRM" to me - not technically, but in the practical outcome.

Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

Oh, how kind of EA !

I'm not sure where I read this, but some people think Origin is far more invassive on your pc than, say, Steam is. Hence why many people don't like the Origin version. It could be something as simple as the Origin version not having a run in offline mode, I don't know because I'm not installing it until I hear something definitive.

-Carn

I agree but I find it funny that there bascially parroting EA on why it wont be on steam.

Some people have proof that Origin allows EA to snoop on your pc but If I remember Steam does the same. I just wanted to share this newsbit there's more info in the thread.

Thats alright the pirates are good for one thing cracks. I dont have to use any online service. So Im not worried about origin that much.

Last edited:
It could be something as simple as the Origin version not having a run in offline mode,

You can play all EA games without having Origin open, well at least for the single player mode. Multiplayer require an online connection (as does Steam). Origin is only needed to authenticate the game when you install it by entering the CD key and your EA account info. It's just replacing Securom or any other DRM. It also auto register your game and you can always re-download them from Origin afterward...

LOL, poetic justice. You support a shit publisher/developer by buying their shit games. They reward you by heaping even more of it on you. R00fles!!!

This will probably stop me from playing KoA, which is a bummer. I'd already decided that ME3 would blow, so that's no loss. Looks like the ps3 will be getting a good workout the next few months! I don't understand why the companies don't use the type of security that Spiderweb does. It makes more sense, it actually works, and people don't seem to mind it nearly as much.

-Carn

Steam is insanely popular and EA wants in on some of that action.

EA isn't fit to lick Steam's boots. Or anything else for that matter. EA would need to be relevant, first. When they achieve that, I'll let them know!

-Carn

I'm not sure where I read this, but some people think Origin is far more invassive on your pc than, say, Steam is.

They're idiots who don't know how to use their advanced system tools, basically, and think that checking file names is a major infraction of privacy. If it were they'd never ever use a computer at all. Origin checks file names in a bunch of places (all sensible ones, like Program Files or Games folders) on install to find other installed EA games. Nobody has ever shown it uploading anything related to that, nor recording anything not related to EA's own games. And I think we can be fairly sure people have been looking.

You can easily get Steam to do exactly the same (even worse, really). Go to "add a non-steam game". Steam will start scanning your hard drive, and not just a few selected locations either.

At present Origin would be better compared to Impulse than Steam in terms of 'invasiveness', as the only game that requires Origin running- at present- is BF3.

as the only game that requires Origin running- at present- is BF3.

This is the "biggest" game for them so far. The one with the biggest sales and the greatest possibility of being pirated.

Of course they wouldn't use Origins in the same way for "niche products" like RPGS, cynically said, and especially not since the Ubi Soft debacle.

The "peer pressure" of BF3 is so great that they just can force Origins on the buyers. They'll buy it regardless. They just don't care about EA leaving them no other choice. They want this game, and this is all that matters to them.
And EA knows that.

ME3 will be the test on whether the client will be required to be running in future, I think.

BF3 is a bit of a special case in that it is primarily an online game- you're connected to EA's servers when playing pretty much full time and as such having the client running may be necessary, depending on how much if any of the MP stuff is done outside of Battlelog/ BF3.exe. ME3 will still be primarily an SP game and an always on requirement for Origin would be more difficult to justify in that context.

Steam is insanely popular and EA wants in on some of that action.

IIRC EA is willing to sell their games on Steam provided that the DLC tied to those games are available through in-game direct purchase from EA sites like Cerberus Network for ME series. Hence, Steam won't get a cut of the DLC.

I don't know why Steam kick up a fuss over this, but meh...Origins selections are pretty poor except for BF3.

IIRC EA is willing to sell their games on Steam provided that the DLC tied to those games are available through in-game direct purchase from EA sites like Cerberus Network for ME series. Hence, Steam won't get a cut of the DLC.

I don't know why Steam kick up a fuss over this, but meh…Origins selections are pretty poor except for BF3.

DLC is pretty much 100% profit. The way Steam sees it - if they are bringing 75% of digital download customers, then they deserve a cut of the additional revenue generated by the game.

I think Steam is 100% correct.

But I have a bunch of Origin games, and would buy Mass Effect 3 even with the Origin stipulation... if I could choose to buy it on Steam.

The real problem is that in direct contradiction of everything they said, EA *IS* using their properties as leverage to make an anti-competitive push against Steam.

Yet they are releasing Amalur on both Steam and Origin. Maybe they aren't planning any post-release DLC for Amalur.

They're definitely planning DLC for Amalur, it's been confirmed by Curt Schilling. They also said they expect fans of the game to be very happy with the DLC, they will be giving you a lot of game for your buck, supposedly.

They also said they expect fans of the game to be very happy with the DLC, they will be giving you a lot of game for your buck, supposedly.

As opposed to giving a lot of content with the 59.99 price tag?
I don't know about you, but at that sort of pricing, I expect something a little bit extra than Dungeon Siege III with combo mechanics and goofy art design.

DS3 shipped with 40.00 price tag IIRC. I won't be pre-ordering KoA for virtual shinies at that premium price. Rather wait for next xmas sale and grab it at 20.00 with full dlc off Steam.

I played Dungeon Siege III and the Amalur demo and I will say without a doubt that Amalur is a better game. :p

The real problem is that in direct contradiction of everything they said, EA *IS* using their properties as leverage to make an anti-competitive push against Steam.
All corporations are lying. Don't even expect them to tell the truth. ;)

Of course they are using it. EA would be stupid not to leverage their IP to gain digital market share. In the long run every percent is worth several million dollars.

Back
Top Bottom