NWN2 - Designer Diary #5 @ Gamespot

Kalia

Watchdog
Gamespot has another Designer Diary from Tony Evans, senior designer with Obsidian Entertainment. In this article, he gives his top ten list of features included in the new Electron Toolset:
2. Conversation Editor - There are enough cool things in the conversation editor that it could easily fill a developer diary of its own, so I will briefly describe a few or the more revolutionary things:

You can specify parameters on action and condition scripts. This means that many users can avoid having to write custom scripts of their own and can instead take advantage of the hundreds of multipurpose global scripts provided by Obsidian.

Instead of laboriously copying and pasting individual links in a conversation, you can use the "link to main question node" feature, which creates a set of several links that can be copied. The link will automatically update if you add or delete nodes in your conversation.

And if you need your NPCs to cycle through random lines of dialogue, you can use "make bark cycle" and it will automatically fill in the scripts for you.

1. Customizable Layout - If you don't like the way the toolset is laid out by default, you can change it however you like. Almost all of the windows in the toolset are mode-less, which means that you can, for example, have an area (or two or three), conversations, and scripts all open at the same time. Customizing your toolset is as simple as drag and drop. If you prefer a more streamlined appearance, you can easily hide window tabs and bring them back again with a single click.
More information

Hooray! I'm being useful instead of lurking as usual :D Great site, guys!

On Topic: The NWN2 Toolset seems to be improved exponentially from NWN. I guess the amount of user-generated content for NWN2 is going to be exponential too.

This article is a must-read for future modders. All hype aside, I believe it's going to be great.

I work as a 3D modeler in the Real World (tm), and making non-D&D mods in my thing, so the increased flexibility and stuff looks velly promising.

I love the early stuff I'm seeing people do with the pre-release tools ... I have really loved the mods for NWN and am totally psyched about NWN2!

Back
Top Bottom