Arcania - "User Friendly" Sony DRM

> reality simply got in the way

One of the serious design flaws on the real-life server.

Oooh! I wonder when the English one will be out? According to my German skills, the article said they had the demo one day before the official release - but is that official release of both languages, or just the German demo?

If the English demo is not out tomorrow, I'll probably be trying the German one tonight (I don't feel like waiting more than a day).

Oooh! I wonder when the English one will be out? According to my German skills, the article said they had the demo one day before the official release - but is that official release of both languages, or just the German demo?

If the English demo is not out tomorrow, I'll probably be trying the German one tonight (I don't feel like waiting more than a day).

I seem to have read that it'll be out tomorrow or the 27th - though I can't speak to its accuracy.

I'm not exactly a master of the german language, but I can usually figure out the basics and test what I need to test.

Last edited:
The demo im playing isnt in german btw.. it's english (you choose language when installing)

http://apa1.ams1.cdn.ip-exchange.de/ipexchange/cia2/Gothic 4 Demo.zip

Quick imperssions: everything on highest except shadows and particles (medium), 1920x1080.. Intel c2d @ 4.1GHz, ATI 4870x2, 4GB RAM, Win7 x86 - getting about 30 FPS.

I'll post more impressions after i've played, just wanted to say that the demo above isnt in german language ;)

Amiga suffered a lot for being perceived as a non-serious platform

And exactly the opposite was true for trying to establish the PC - and especially Windows NT - as a "gaming platform".

Haven't played through the whole demo, but most of it (i think). It's pretty much like I expected. The performance is better than i expected though.

The graphics is very nice, better than Risen for sure. However I don't like how leaves disintegrates in front of you (this effect is in Risen too, but it doesnt happen as quick). There's some pop-up of things, but it's not too bad. The graphics is probably the best i've seen in a RPG, the shadows and sunsets are especially atmospheric. The attention to detail with the NPC's is good, hair and teeths are especially well made. Would've looked even better if they had created some gloss maps for the eyes, strange to overlook such a thing.

Invisible barriers all over the place feels extremely disapointing in a Gothic game. I love standing on the top of a waterfall, diving into the water below etc, no longer possible… Sometimes jumping down from a smaller rock isnt even possible because the there's a barrier there.

The NPC's doesnt seem to react to monsters, i dragged a goblin inside town, and at least your girlfriend in the demo didnt react in any way. You can hit NPC's all you want, your weapon doesnt affect them in any way.

NPC's doesnt seem to go to sleep, so they don't seem to have schedules like in the older games.

Fighting is completely braindead. I havent managed to die once (normal difficulty) and i havent really been paying attention in the fights, just click-click like mad.

The interface is slick, i like it.

The animations are nice (the jumping animation is the best in a RPG so far - this usually suck for some reason).

Voice acting is good.

When you level up you just spend your points in the skill points interface - no trainers.

Back
Top Bottom