Things you don't need to know...

Actually, on my expedition over there, I have tasted a couple of excellent beers from micro breweries.

OTOH, we have beers in Norway which not only tastes like dishwasher water, it probably IS dishwasher water.

pibbur whose favourite lager type beer is Kronenbourg 1664. And who wishes the brewery would pay him to say so.

Haloquadratum cells typically contain polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) granules as well as large numbers of refractile gas-filled vacuoles which provide buoyancy in a watery environment and may help to position the cells to maximise light-harvesting.

pibbur who notices that the Commodore 64 is todays's featured picture on Wikioedia. He considered buying one back then. To keep track of the contents of his freezer.

Haloquadratum cells typically contain polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) granules as well as large numbers of refractile gas-filled vacuoles which provide buoyancy in a watery environment and may help to position the cells to maximise light-harvesting.

Huh?

pibbur who notices that the Commodore 64 is todays's featured picture on Wikioedia. He considered buying one back then. To keep track of the contents of his freezer.

What??

It's about the Haloquadratum genus, belonging to the Archaea domain of living things.

Back in the eighties when interest in home-computers started to grow, keeping track of the food you stored in the freezer was presented as one of the huge benefits of having one. I suppose some did use theirs for that purpose, but probably not for practical reasons.

pibbur who in 1984, bought his first computer, a Z80 based thingy running CP/M. 100K RAM, two floppy disk drives. He never got a complete record of the mostly dead things inhabitating his freezer.

Last edited:
I can certainly agree about the American beer; it's rubbish. Most so called 'exported' Aussie beer is the stuff no-one here would touch, like Fosters. (I'm not even sure you can still buy that swill here.)

While the large companies still sell swill here, the microbrewery market has taken off big so we have lots of tasty beer to try if you go to the right bar.

Unfortunately my local bar sucks in beer selection so I rarely go.

Micro brewing everywhere is usually good to great. However, when talking 'generally' about the beers from a country it's usually the large breweries which are meant. When I think of American beer I think of swill like Bud which is about all you can get here.

47 plant species of Mexico and the southwestern U.S., including Ceanothus greggii (pictured), are named in honor of Josiah Gregg.

Here are 10 of them. Finding the rest is left as an excersize to the reader.

Acacia greggii
Amaranthus greggii
Leucaena greggii
Peniocereus greggii
Pinus greggii
Salvia greggii
Yucca filifera (not sure why wikipedia includes this one)
Conoclinium greggii
Dalea greggii
Ceanothus greggii

Getting something named after you can be a mixed blessing. Allegedly one academic wasn't too happy getting his name associated with a parasite, others felt that the suggested name was very fitting. OTOH, in medicine nobody seems troubled by diseases being named after them. As long as they aren't among the patients.

There isn'nt any Haloquadratum greggii.

Rita Hayworth's song and dance performance in Gilda helped demonstrate the stability of the newly invented strapless dress. The video below is according to youtube banned in Germany.

Armenian journalist, writer, and translator Rita Vorperian can speak seven languages. Obvious and not very creative pun coming: Hah! Pibbur knows more languages than that: BASIC, Pascal, C,C#, Lithp, Prolog, FORTRAN, SQL (including dialects PL/SQL and Transact-SQL), Javascript and PHP. And SIMPLE.

Pibbur who seems to become more and more like Alan Davies.

During a 2010 court case Pyotr Verzilov burst into the court and dumped a bag full of live cockroaches.

Wallace(known as Alfred R. to his set of friends, of which John Hampden is not an element) found Kayoa's virgin forest "a glorious spot" full of beetles.

The beetles beetles aka Coleoptera contains 400000 species, more than any other order of animals, 25% of all animals, 40% of insects. Fortunately they're not as yeeeecchy as spiders. Although the largest one, measuring 15cm, might be. However, pibbur doesn't know of any horror movie starring beetles.

There are 23000, possibly up to 100000 species of beetles in Australia. None are marsupials, and for some strange reason, and quited inexpectedly, none of them seems to be fiercely deadly.

Haloquadratum is not a genus of beetles.

Pibbur who is satisfied that he did not misspell "beatles" by putting an "a" inside.

EDIT: If you are unsure about the size of beetles, you might want to take a look at the do-human-sized-beetles-exist thread on UK Answers

Last edited:
There's an elephant standing behind you!

If you live in Australia, there's a deadly elephant behind you.

pibbur who has verified that there's no elephant behind him.

EDIT: Elephants are extremely unrelatedt to the Haloquadratum genus.

Last edited:
I suppose one of you may have noticed that yesterday was april 1st, so what I wrote above may not have been entirely true. Except the bit about about Haloquadratum. Possibly also the claim that no elephant was behind him. Strictly speaking, depending on the distances involved, whenever pibbur faces northward there probably is an elephant or two behind s back in Africa, where elephants grow. But being near-sighted, pibbur can't see them, and therefore disregards them.

But, since now yesterday was officially a day for making a fool of you, may I remind you of Wikipedia's "Did you know" section from yesterday. True to tradition, it was filled with weird and can-this-really-be-true pieces of information. Such as:

• Wikipedia was discovered in 2008 between Mars and Jupiter
  • A Norwegian organization established a women's fart team.
  • Sschmuck tried to get the U.S. Supreme Court to let him off for mail fraud because all he did was roll back odometers

BTW Haloquadratum cells typically contain polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) granules as well as large numbers of refractile gas-filled vacuoles.

Pibbur who has heard elephant talk.

Last edited:
Last Sunday I saw an VW Beetle with the *exact* markings of "Herbie" ! :lol:

Well, I don't remember anymore. ;)

Another oddity ( yes, it's about a car again ! :D ) :

Yesterday I had an VW Fox before me - pure yellow colour !

On its rear window, there was a huge sticker, depicting Pac-Man and the ghosts and a few dots of the way between them …

The line beneath that said :

I played Level 256

The car's license plate (which we call "numbers-sign/plate" in Germany) read :

LEV-EL 256

Great ! :D

LEV is the sign of my home town, Leverkusen, by the way. ;) That's where Bayer sits, the company that - among many other things - invented Aspirin. ;)

"All your base are belong to us !"

That was many years ago.

SWTOR has its own incarnation of this :

can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Source : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297

Page 19 of the above linked thread comes with with the try of an interpretation of this sentence - from Chinese into English : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=297&page=19

First step towards it :

"Can you sword light saber when the swords in the box open it? So if came back after the sword, in the box, making optical swords swords and sword boxed sword is out."

Second step towards it :

"Can you make a general skill/icon that would sheath your weapon if activated? So that after combat, if you activate the skill/icon/button, the weapon would be unsheathed after being used."

Great lesson about meanings in languages ! :D

Today's things you don't need to know is obtained (copied) from the (I think) dutch Wikipedia:

… het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden op het Caraïbische eiland Sint Maarten een 10 kilometer lange grens heeft met de Franse Republiek?
… de Neanderthaler vernoemd is naar het Neanderthal, een dal in de Duitse deelstaat Noordrijn-Westfalen?
… de naam van de drank advocaat afkomstig is van de vrucht avocado? Nederlanders probeerden een Antilliaans drankje te imiteren maar bij gebrek aan avocado's werden eieren gebruikt.
… in het Waasland het typische panorama van bolle velden is ontstaan door eeuwenlang rondploegen met de keerploeg?

Pibbur who refuses to translate (partly because he can't, the few dutch words he knows (gracht, sleutel) are not included). And who will nudge nudge say no more. Nudge.

I can understand most of these sentences.

The thread is very specific and a better source of learning some new good things.Thanks to all.

Another thing you don't need to know :
Among the "invented words no-one needs", "Wholeoneley" is probably the worst. I inventended it in my half-sleep.
It is a combination of 4 words :
Whole
Hole
Only
One
Since I don't know what to do with it, I just post it here, thus releasing it into the world. ;)

I think it's a nice word. We need more words like these. Keep up the good word .. eh … work.

Pibbur who pronounces "www" "triple-u"

Back
Top Bottom