Pillars of Eternity - Interview @ PC World

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PC World has new interview with Josh Sawyer who talks mods, PC-first focus, Big Head mode, and more for Pillars of Eternity. Here is a small sample of the full interview.

On expansions and sequels

JS: They're going to be extensions of the main game. We are making an automated save for you, it's actually called the Point of No Return Save. So if you complete the whole game and you're like "Oh %#&^, the expansion came out," great. Load that save, you can go straight into it, it's fine. It's something connected to the main game but its own separate storyline, and you take your normal characters into it. We're in the very early stages of planning it.

We have to see exactly how it integrates in terms of location and how it shows up on the map, or whether it's its own separate world map. But we have a ton of locations. Baldur's Gate was about 100-110. Baldur's Gate II was 200-and-something? Ours is 150. Pretty big. It's a long game, even if you play just the crit path. If you play all the stuff it's a very long game.

[Are you looking at save imports for a sequel too?]

JS: We'd very much like that. People like the idea of taking their characters on a long, epic journey. Even going back to the classic RPGs, it was nice to bring your character in and keep going with it.

Contrary to what someone interpreted what our CEO said, we're not working on a sequel at all yet. We're not even really talking about it except to say "That'd be cool. Hope people like this game." But we do think about, if we were to make a sequel we do want the player to be able to bring their character from this game, come over into the next game, and of course reflect the choices they made in the previous game.

More information.

I never play early access games or even traditional betas. Some backers have been complaining (so I have heard/read) about how disappointed they are but I don't care regardless of the validity of said complaints. I want an isometric RPG that isn't a rehashed edition of classic titles (don't get me wrong I bought & enjoyed BG EE but didn't play any of the EE exclusive content) The screenshots are beautiful and I can't wait for this to be released. Its imminent release has kept me from buying Lords of Xulima because I know once it is released Xulima would go on hold.

Glad to see they didn't waste resources on some mod tool. Personally, creating mods or even playing end user content that is often horrible just doesn't interest me.

Hopefully it lives up to my expectations and is successful so there are expansions, sequels, etc.

I would like to discuss what they have out now; not what they are going to have out later. Nothing now...nothing later

I would like to discuss what they have out now; not what they are going to have out later. Nothing now…nothing later
I quoted a small sample of the interview about sequels and expansions. Just read the the link for the rest of the information as I said in the news-bit above.:)
Glad to see they didn't waste resources on some mod tool. Personally, creating mods or even playing end user content that is often horrible just doesn't interest me.

Hopefully it lives up to my expectations and is successful so there are expansions, sequels, etc.
I agree and as he said Unity is not that easy to mod anyway. As for expansions and sequels I agree with you again. As I want to play more games like Pillars of Eternity.

For anyone interested, the latest patch made the game much more enjoyable, bugs aside. I make a new character every few days and run the party through the gauntlet again. Hard is HARD. Really looking forward to this game, just hope day one it isn't buggy. My only concern

I'm really looking forward to this...

Are they going to implement AI scripts for NPCs before release? I got my hands on the most recent build, and it feels almost impossible to fight without manually controlling everything - which is a major pain in the ass with real-time combat.

Beyond that, though, I'm really glad I pre-ordered it. It's a very nice modern BG :)

Are they going to implement AI scripts for NPCs before release? I got my hands on the most recent build, and it feels almost impossible to fight without manually controlling everything - which is a major pain in the ass with real-time combat.

Beyond that, though, I'm really glad I pre-ordered it. It's a very nice modern BG :)
Nope. No NPC scripts. A probably not in any patch either. Expansion might bring it.

Back
Top Bottom