Recommend me a rpg to play

Yes. I was just looking, and i see scores of Gothic 2 & 3 but no copies of the first edition. So i guesss i should buy Gothic Universe and then Gothic 2 as well. Once i have played the original Gothic 2 then i can play the G2 gold in Gothic Universe.

Or buy G2 first and then Universe if you like it.

Just to repeat it again: Gothic is not everybody's darling. You'll die often in the first couple of hours, until you appreciate the combat controls and understand the rather direct RPG system. Especially accepting that you can and should run away was pretty hard for some people. ;) The Gothics rely heavily on visual feedback. With a little experience you can see how dangerous an NPC is.

Except for G3, where your toughest opponents are warthogs due to the combat issues of that game. :rolleyes:

Anyway, in G2, if you see a wolf-like creature with red eyes, be afraid, be verrry afraid....

Yes. I was just looking, and i see scores of Gothic 2 & 3 but no copies of the first edition. So i guesss i should buy Gothic Universe and then Gothic 2 as well. Once i have played the original Gothic 2 then i can play the G2 gold in Gothic Universe.
You can buy the original on GOG.com for $9.99. It's patched and no DRM.

Anyway, in G2, if you see a wolf-like creature with red eyes, be afraid, be verrry afraid....
? I don't remember that. Beside dragons (that wasn't the ridiculous G3 dragons) I only remember raptors to always be dangerous even when well trained and powerful. In G3 raptors are much more easy to fight than wolves...

Really you are going into the wrong way, do not try play G2 without NOTR it would be just a waste of fun. No surprise the universe edition doesn't offer the alternative, it has few sense.

Or buy G2 first and then Universe if you like it.

Just to repeat it again: Gothic is not everybody's darling. You'll die often in the first couple of hours, until you appreciate the combat controls and understand the rather direct RPG system. Especially accepting that you can and should run away was pretty hard for some people. ;) The Gothics rely heavily on visual feedback. With a little experience you can see how dangerous an NPC is.

I'll add save often, the game requires it. After some persistence you'll see yourself doing progress and that with the fun to discovering fighting subtle points is an extreme fun but only a part of the fun of G2+NOTR.

For first play if you are worry about difficulty you could try Mercenary side and two hand weapon specialization. That said at my first try I played mage with focus on summon and sword fighting, 2H to start and 1H later. Everybody will say you it's not a good choice but still quite playable and dam fun.

And take care that if you really optimize your character then last chapter will be too easy.

I think it depends on what you call "fun" ... A high difficulty might not be fun ... Only a balanced one is, but fans tend to be much better than average players and therefore tend to demand a much higher level of difficulty ...

I think it depends on what you call "fun" ... A high difficulty might not be fun ... Only a balanced one is, but fans tend to be much better than average players and therefore tend to demand a much higher level of difficulty ...
In G2+NOTR it's more subtle than just a fight difficulty. G2(+NOTR) is all about being very rude with the player. That's the mood and fights with NOTR fit perfectly. That's why saving is important because you need discover the world and what is dangerous or not.

The beginning seems difficult because you haven't yet learned the right tricks, when you replay you realize it's more on the easy side. A second point is that I also don't like difficult games and yes I whine a little during the first 10 levels and until enter a guild. But still an extreme fun. Is really anybody playing G2+NOTR on the start gave up because of a too high difficulty? I don't think so, all players I see complaining was those that had already played G2 vanilla first and many of those people tend to advice play vanilla first. I bet it's your case. :p

? I don't remember that. Beside dragons (that wasn't the ridiculous G3 dragons) I only remember raptors to always be dangerous even when well trained and powerful. In G3 raptors are much more easy to fight than wolves...

I was speaking of Wargs, which are the most dangerous of the first monsters you can encounter in G2. They will make mince-meat out of a new player if you make the mistake of thinking they are just wolves.

There has been many people who have given up on playing Gothic games because of the patience required - getting your butt handed to you on a regular basis and having to re-load is not everyone's idea of a good time.

as a G2+NOTR newcomer, i found it very tough initially but it was well worth the persistence. it was so rewarding to hack down the Orcs who had me fleeing by their mere presence.

KOTOR spoiler
The famous twist is that you are Darth Revan although it's heavily hinted at before the revelation in the game.

OO that, I had already figured it out a long long time before so it was no twist for me.

I was speaking of Wargs, which are the most dangerous of the first monsters you can encounter in G2. They will make mince-meat out of a new player if you make the mistake of thinking they are just wolves.

There has been many people who have given up on playing Gothic games because of the patience required - getting your butt handed to you on a regular basis and having to re-load is not everyone's idea of a good time.
Well I'd suggest then try first G2+NOTR, don't give up too soon and try learn survive and learn fighting, then if it doesn't match your taste because of the difficulty then try G2.

I disagree it requires so many reload. What's sure is that you can be surprised and attempt stuff too tough for your char and could take some time to learn some tricks. But that doesn't happen so often. I died much much more in G3 than in G2+NOTR.

Ha wargs, yes you can see wargs quite soon and better avoid them until later. By chance you can avoid them without too much pain. When your character rise in power and get better armor wargs don't cause much problem when saurides continue be dangerous. At least it's the feeling I had.

Well, the reason I had to re-load so much is because I tried so hard to succeed at things that were too advanced for my current level. - You know, like getting Orcs and other beasties to follow you into the city so they will be killed by others stronger than you so you can still get the experience points. ha ha

Anyways, I was always pretty good at the Gothic games and didn't mind the challenge. I was speaking of a lot of other people in my last post not myself.

Well, the reason I had to re-load so much is because I tried so hard to succeed at things that were too advanced for my current level. - You know, like getting Orcs and other beasties to follow you into the city so they will be killed by others stronger than you so you can still get the experience points. ha ha

Anyways, I was always pretty good at the Gothic games and didn't mind the challenge. I was speaking of a lot of other people in my last post not myself.

I see what you mean, I didn't played G1 (or G2) before G2+NOTR but I played 3 times the full G2+NOTR so when replayed I definitely used a similar approach. But at first plays that's been different. Wandering in enemy territory and in dangerous area is an extremely fun game experience. I'd say that the goal should be to kill as few orcs and big badass than possible. No need to kill everything for more xp and sp. Learn to survive in this world is the best experience. Anyway take care that if you optimize you character and rush after xp the game will be easier and easier up to be quite too easy in last chapter. If you try apply some caution in your character leveling and keep goal doable at your level, you'll get a play going easier but will keep most of the fun through all the game.

EDIT: For example some typical goal to not try achieve in your first play of G2+NOTR, don't try kill every stuff in chapter 1 to get the most xp. Don't try kill all Orcs nor any dangerous beast around during chapter 2. And an important point is play first the new area coming from NOTR before going further in G2 main story. It will balance better your leveling.

A bit late to this thread - but I'd add my vote to Divine Divinity. I actually started playing it recently, after "ok, what good games did I miss in the past ?". txa1265's retrospective made me actually do it :)

This is a great game, if you can cope with not so good graphics by today's "standards" and somewhat hard beginning.

A bit late to this thread - but I'd add my vote to Divine Divinity. I actually started playing it recently, after "ok, what good games did I miss in the past ?". txa1265's retrospective made me actually do it :)

This is a great game, if you can cope with not so good graphics by today's "standards" and somewhat hard beginning.
I second this, great one, even if it has some noticable flaws like some too big dungeons, their size making them sometimes a bit repetitive. Anyway, great game.

And the follow up, Beyond Divinity isn't as bad than most people say. It doesn't have the same charm and depth than DD but is good and has some very interesting points as an excellent and original sneak system.

And the follow up, Beyond Divinity isn't as bad than most people say. It doesn't have the same charm and depth than DD but is good and has some very interesting points as an excellent and original sneak system.

I was pulling some stuff out of my storage box last week and saw this ... I am going to try this again next year at some point.

Back
Top Bottom