Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Review Roundup #3

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I found a few more reviews for the recently released Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Capsule Computers - 8.5/10

I found Dragonfall to be a top-notch follow-up to one of my favorite games of 2013. It boasts a great story, accentuated by excellent storytelling and deep characters. Combat is both cognitively satisfying and visceral, delivering an addictive system you’ll look forward to. There are a few bugs, but they’re insignificant compared to the strength of its offerings. If you don’t have Shadowrun Returns yet, it’s easily worth the price of admission. If you do, Dragonfall is a must-have. Overall, Shadowrun: Dragonfall is a finely crafted RPG experience, showing that Harebrained Schemes knows its audience and continues to hone their craft.
Gaming Bolt - 7/10

The game doesn’t really try anything new within the other areas such as gameplay. This can be looked upon in two ways, the first being that the gameplay is so well established and solid that it wasn’t actually required and the second being the personal desire for changes, tweaks or adjustments. It lies fairly in your own perspective, involvement, and joy of the game but as nothing appears to be broken or taking on anything new that can harm the core mechanics or foundations of the series it’s not something that can really be held of fault.
Gizorama - 4/5

This may put some of you off, but hear me out: Shadowrun Returns as a whole is a good RPG for people that aren't super into RPGs but enjoy many of their traditional aspects. Personally, I love crafting a well-balanced party, but I hate being forced to sit through their tragic backstories (but if I have time I'll totally do it). I like turn-based combat so long as it makes me feel involved (which the cover system definitely helps with), and I don't mind if a game's environment isn't comically huge just so long as it feels well-thought-out and there's plenty to keep me interested. All of these are things that Dragonfall excels at and things that many RPG series would do well to try and imitate. Too many role-playing games nowadays mistake size for quality. A big mistake they all seem to make is to design a world far too large to fill with quality content. Dragonfall, almost moreso than its predecessor, focuses itself down to the core of what a good RPG should be and succeeds all the more for it. If you'd like a break from wandering around a non-descript mountain range or flat wasteland for a while, but you're not quite ready to give up being an elf, I can't recommend Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall enough.
More information.

Back
Top Bottom