Might and Magic VI is up on Gog

I got one at the half-off deal a few months ago, and am considering grabbing one from my alumni address to update the kids' PC as it is in a sorry state (my old XPS)

So I downloaded this last weekend but haven't had a chance to play.

I'm an M&M virgin, should I attempt to play through from 1? Is it worth it?
Will I miss anything if I just go ahead and skip to 4?

Just keep reading that the earlier ones haven't held up as well which is no surprise, I'm no stranger to the games of this era (missed this serious though, obviously) so I know that some can be near unplayable today and not worth the frustration.

I started playing 6 and am liking it but is there anything that links the games that would warrant me starting earlier?

I started playing 6 and am liking it but is there anything that links the games that would warrant me starting earlier?
I played 4 and/or 5 when they were released in an old games collection a dozen years ago, something with Xeen? They had a fairly standalone feel to them, so I don't know. Would be interested in the answer to your question as well. I never played anything before 4 (I think) or anything after 5 (I think).

1 might turn you off a bit. The difficulty curve is steep, graphics are early DOS-blah, and there's no automap.

However, you can pretty much jump in anywhere as each game is stand alone. While 1-5 follow a general plot, you don't need to know it to play them.

I would suggest starting 3 or with World of Xeen, honestly. But any is a good spot to jump in, save 1 for the mentioned reasons. I started with 2, back when 2 was new.

2 is REALLY tough. Many think 3 is the best and it's still very playable. 4&5 fit together to make one excellent game. 6&7 are both lots of fun to play. 8 is OK, but not brilliant. We never mention 9 in polite company!!

I thought it still wasn't in retail yet…

It isn't - I should have said "I pre-ordered one". The student deal you apparently get a download version and get it now.

I don't know, 2 seemed far easier to me than 1... though my patience with hand drawing maps left me after I got a job and had bills to pay. Once you get a couple of levels, and some actual equipment, 2 gets much easier, and smoother (provided you don't go wandering into an area way beyond your means).

Definitely 3 is easy to get into. Provided your not on time constraints. ;) World of Xeen is just like 3, but bigger, better, and prettier. If a bit easier in many respects.

Afaik, there's no connection between M&M6 and any of the previous games.

It isn't - I should have said "I pre-ordered one". The student deal you apparently get a download version and get it now.

The student deal is pretty sweet, although it's just the upgrade, not the full version.

The student deal is pretty sweet, although it's just the upgrade, not the full version.
Students may have access to full versions of Windows 7 (and pretty much all other major Microsoft Software) if their university or their specific department takes part in the MSDN Academic Alliance program.

As for M&M -- I think I'll go for 3 or 6, then. Will have to look at some pictures before I decide. ;)

Afaik, there's no connection between M&M6 and any of the previous games.

Cool, I'll probably work my way backwards then.
(As soon as I'm done with Div Div and the other 4 or 5 games on my list ... why do I keep buying games I'm not ready to play???????)

Grayface patch is up to version 1.7
New in version 1.7:
[+] BlasterRecovery option controls minimal blasdter recovery time. Default is 5. Game default was 0.
[-] Now items that didn't fit into a chest appear in it when you free space for them and reopen the chest. (FixChests option)
[-] Now Recovery Rate shown by the patch reflects absense of speed limit for laser and "Increases recovery time" items.
[-] Main menu music didn't start at the right position in PlayMP3 mode.
[-] In previous version there were problems with sound.
[-] Some people experienced a crash in load screen in previous version due to long quicksaves names.
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9704&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Back
Top Bottom