Witcher 2 Inventory

The Witcher 2

lostforever

SasqWatch
It seems the maxmum weight you can carry is 250 and I was running out of carrying capacity very quickly. I sold the stuff marked as junk but kept the rest. Most of the crafting materials like iron ore weight lot.

Anyone know if there is any way to increase your max weight? Or is there some storage space to stuff?

I've noticed this too after exiting the dungeon, however the game manual says that the inventory capacity is 200 so either it's deliberatly changed prior to the game release or something affects the max weight we can save without slowing Geralt down.

Strange. I picked up pretty much everything I could - without being overly obsessive - and I had ~160/250 - and that's AFTER recovering my gear near the start of Chapter 1.

Strange. I picked up pretty much everything I could - without being overly obsessive - and I had ~160/250 - and that's AFTER recovering my gear near the start of Chapter 1.

It was crafting mats that taking lot of weight. Coal/ore/timer/leather was coming to about ~100 for me. Some armour comes to ~17 - 20 each. Swords around ~9.

I sold all the armour and swords I didn't need but I didn't want to get rid of the crafting mats just yet since I have not really explored that aspect of the game.

Hmm.. My maximum carrying weight is 300, and I'm not sure why.

May be it is related to stats? I have not spent any of my levelling points yet....

However joxer say his max is 200 but I am pretty sure I started with 250 on new toon...

found this

Strong Back - denotes Geralt's affinity to carry a lot of loot. Encumbrance in the Witcher 2 is nothing really crippling (it only makes you walk slower and disables combat rolls); in fact, it can actually work to your advantage. If you manage to collect a lot of items while sneaking through La Vallette's Dungeons in Prologue, the ability will grant you additional 5 to 10 pounds of maximum weight, depending on your total encumbrance upon reaching Pontar Valley."

http://witchervault.ign.com/View.php?view=Editorials.Detail&id=8

My maximum carrying weight is 300
Same here. I noticed I have the Strong Back "perk" at level 1 and it gives +50 to your carrying capacity (not +5 or +10 as quoted above). No idea when/how I got it though, but I certainly didn't purchase it with talent points. My encumbrance at the start of Chapter 1 was 213/300.

BTW, I'm not too fond of the inventory's design. It looks like it was made for consoles. For instance, it's easier to navigate with arrow keys than with the mouse. And I'd prefer mouse-over pop-ups rather than these static info panels. Oh well.

Same here. I noticed I have the Strong Back "perk" at level 1 and it gives +50 to your carrying capacity (not +5 or +10 as quoted above). No idea when/how I got it though, but I certainly didn't purchase it with talent points. My encumbrance at the start of Chapter 1 was 213/300.

BTW, I'm not too fond of the inventory's design. It looks like it was made for consoles. It's easier to navigate with arrow keys than with the mouse. And I'd prefer mouse-over pop-ups rather than these static info panels. Oh well.

May be the perk is currently bugged and giving you guys 50 rather than 5 or 10?

From what I understand, you can only get the perks at certain point(s) in the game and if you didn't you loose out.

I think 50 is lot given that people start off with 200...

My only major complaint regarding inventory is that it doesn't show the quantities of your quick-slot items.

No, wait... The game manual says encumerance starts on over 200. I discovered it's 250 on me after escaping the prison. Dunno if 250 is default, but...

OMG seems I'll have to restart, I want 300! :D
J/K this is RPG and I won't backtrack now, first pass through the game will be as it is, the next replay I'll try to get those 300. ;)

I am not complaining about anything but rather thinking out loud that the perk may have been bugged :)

I've seen multiple reports in forums that the Strong Back ability does indeed increase your carrying capacity from 250 to 300.

What I have not been able to confirm is how you actually obtain this ability. Right now it appears to be a mystery among the gaming community. Some people have it, and some don't, and nobody can explain exactly why. I saw one post on gamefaqs from a guy who got it in his first play-through, had to restart after wiping his hard drive for an unrelated reason, and now in his new game he doesn't have it and is clueless why.

This is currently my biggest gripe about this game. I left the prologue and entered Ch.1 carrying 437 pounds of stuff. This includes 70+ pieces of leather and 41 pieces of iron ore. Even after selling every extra armor and weapon I had picked up (including a couple I would've liked to keep around as backups), I still only got down to 265 (and like the original poster in this thread, I want to keep all of my crafting supplies for later).

Managing the inventory weight is clearly going to be a big part of my game, and I am very frustrated that something so fundamentally useful has been relegated to an undocumented perk that is apparently VERY easy to miss (as I have). I can understand stuff like +10% protection or +20% backstap damage getting rewarded this way, but I think it's bad design to randomly screw around with the inventory management like this. When I go back to play this after work tonight, I'm probably going to go back to an earlier save in the dungeon and try to luck into getting this (and will be very annoyed at doing so).

It's really irksome that the official forms are down so we can't troll for more info there. Also irksome is that the "game guide" that I got with the digitial premium edition doesn't talk about ANY of these special abilities.

Anyway, if anybody finds anything more about this or other abilities, please share your findings here.

So there's a theory on the Steam forum that's gaining traction. In the prologue, if you avoid fighting Aryan on the top of the tower by talking to him and demanding that he drop his weapon, then he survives and is placed in the dungeon. You can then later rescue him and drag/carry him out of the dungeon. At the conclusion of this, you have the Strong Back perk.

I killed Aryan, so I had no idea that he could be rescued later.

Does this correlate with anybody else's experience? Is there anybody that killed Aryan and still has the Strong Back perk? Or is there anybody that rescued him and does NOT have it?

I also killed him in a duel and my capacity is 250.

A few thigs to say more:
1. Iron ore, leather and cloth roles are practically everywhere - keep a dozen of them in inventory just in case, sell the rest or don't loot at all! In fact, keeping only a dozen of every ingredient type is a good way to go - you can get pretty much all ingredients in stores for a cheap price (and stores do restock!).
2. Sell equipment you don't use - there is no point of keeping a sword that has +1 more damage but -1% bleeding chance.
3. If you drop an item, it'll vanish on exiting the area and then return/reload. If you don't loot bags opponents dropped seems they'll remain on the dropped spot no matter what area you move and if you reload the game (didn't check this thoroughly).
4. Don't miss certain gauntlets in Chapter 1 that give +5 capacity. It's not much I know, but… No, they're not lootable. You have to craft them. ;)

Just want to help in this ongoing quest of pinpointing the mean of obtaining this perk.

I have indeed killed Aryan, and I do NOT have the perk (250 inventory space).

EDIT : Thanks for the tip, Joxer.

Just want to help in this ongoing quest of pinpointing the mean of obtaining this perk.

I have indeed killed Aryan, and I do NOT have the perk (250 inventory space).

EDIT : Thanks for the tip, Joxer.

I am not following... (confused more like!)

As far as I understand, you get the perk if you did not kill him. So you starts with 250 and you get 300 if you did not kill him.

I am not following… (confused more like!)

As far as I understand, you get the perk if you did not kill him. So you starts with 250 and you get 300 if you did not kill him.

Correct.

In my game :

• I have chosen to kill Aryan
  • (as a probable result) I still have 250 inventory space (I do not have the perk, obviously).

Correct.

In my game :

• I have chosen to kill Aryan
  • (as a probable result) I still have 250 inventory space (I do not have the perk, obviously).

Ah understood now :)

In my next play through i am going to get the perk. Right now I am spending too much time playing "inventory management"!

Does this correlate with anybody else's experience? Is there anybody that killed Aryan and still has the Strong Back perk? Or is there anybody that rescued him and does NOT have it?
I didn't kill Aryan, but got him to drop his weapon and surrender. Later I carried him around in the dungeons and now I have the Strong Back perk (and carry capacity of 300). Looks like your theory holds true.

For those of you lamenting the lack of the Strong Back perk, don't fret, AFAIK you got to see… ehm… better scenery in the dungeons than those of us stuck there with Aryan. Choice and Consequence, baby!! :D

Back
Top Bottom