Search engine hijack malware

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
It seems I've caught some malware on my PC a day or two ago. No idea where I got it.

All traffic to google and at least all searches through the other big search engines is routed through the sites "searchingandclick58 dot com" and "checkingassociateeditor dot com".

The biggest negative impact is that ALL google traffic is redirected. This includes the site traffic tools. On many pages it takes 20 seconds until the page actually starts to load.

I could use some help to get rid of it. I don't feel safe doing anything meaningful as long as this virus is active.

Did you try the standard programs like Adaware? or spybot? they are ussually good at this sort of thing, also Avast has a boot-up time cleaner which can handle some of the nastier nasties.

Run Autoruns and see what you get. It'll list all programs/services installed and running on startup, or integrated into Windows like Internet Explorer addons etc. I've used it several times to remove crap on friends computers. It also filters (by default) away all Microsoft programs.

I think its called Google Instant. Its the same thing that called my favourite news.

I think its called Google Instant. Its the same thing that called my favourite news.
No, Google Instant is a new service by Google. I bet I'll hate it immediately when I see it. ;)

The thing I had was just a dozen additional entries in the hosts file, it seems. A list of domains with redirections.
Run Autoruns and see what you get. It'll list all programs/services installed and running on startup, or integrated into Windows like Internet Explorer addons etc. I've used it several times to remove crap on friends computers. It also filters (by default) away all Microsoft programs.

Interesting. I didn't find anything malicious, but several dead entries and stuff I think I don't need. Can I use this tool to disable single entries? I don't think I need Outlook, for example.

Autoruns ? I think yes. It is the ultimate tool for these tasks, imho.

Windows also comes with a similar (although a bit weaker) tool with the name of MSCONFIG.EXE

Can I use this tool to disable single entries? I don't think I need Outlook, for example.
The disadvantage is, that the entries you choose are only deactivated temporarily, as far as I know.
So it is better to de-install the corresponding software or (if this isn't possible any more) to manually delete the dead registry entry. Some of the Registry Cleaners (i. e. the one coming with Tune Up) also look for dead entries and delete them.

However Outlook may be a special case, since it is not dead in the sense that the target of the entry doesn't exist any more and I don't know if Windows allows to cleanly de-install everything connected to it. So this may be one of the (few) examples, where this deactivation with a tool may make sense. But I would still try to de-install it officially before.

I tried some time ago to delete outlook and even asked MS tech support when I had them on the phone for something else. It won't delete but you can stop it coming on in MSconfig with Wxp in the start opt. I run xp so that is only OS I can speak of.

Isn't there in the "Add or remove software" -> "systems software" - at the left of the screen - an entry to get rid at least with the outlook that shipped with the system ?

You can get rid of it up to a point, but some of the files are considered part of the OS I guess, not my field of expertise. Anyway, you do the delete but a part will always be there. That is what MS tech guy told me. Not saying that is true, just what they told me.

I used to liek that one in the free software thread. Unfortunately it doesn't fix my Google problem. For that I had to use two links

http://breakingnewsfeeds.com/beta

fixes the news so its not so iPhone friendly

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0

fixes the autocomplete bug..at least temporarily. it even gets rid of that annoying Ajax pull menu.

I would recommend you run this:

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

You'll need to download it and then burn it onto a CDR. It's a live-CD and if you have a basic realtek 10/100 ethernet card plugged in (or anything realtek), it can download the latest updates and automatically scans all of your hard drives for any malware.

I use it at work all the time and it detects a lot of viruses/trojans.

Afterwards, I would download/run combofix, which will remove nastier things, and in the end I would then run malwarebytes.

Running those programs in that sequence can clean out your system pretty well without having any further issue.

*edit* Finally found a replacement site for the defunct RPGdot.com....

I would recommend you run this:

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

You'll need to download it and then burn it onto a CDR. It's a live-CD and if you have a basic realtek 10/100 ethernet card plugged in (or anything realtek), it can download the latest updates and automatically scans all of your hard drives for any malware.

I use it at work all the time and it detects a lot of viruses/trojans.

Thanks! :) My problems are already solved, but I'll bookmark your link for the next time.

*edit* Finally found a replacement site for the defunct RPGdot.com….
Welcome. What took you so long? RPGWatch and RPGDot even overlapped for a couple of weeks, and we left traces for the new site everywhere.

Got busy with school and other things that I totally forgot about it, and then one day - a long time ago - I saw that RPGdot was shut down. I didn't look deep enough to see where the forums "moved" to.

Back
Top Bottom