Project Eternity - Passes $3.5M including Paypal

Well 10x numbers have been bandied about here (or elsewhere) for Baldur's Gate (probably adjusted in terms of 2012 dollars). I've wasted too much time already trying to find factual references.

It's very common for gamers to underestimate the costs for the development of their hobby. Strange that. I expect its a little immaturity, a little entitlement, and a little wanton pirating mentality.

I'd like to see a set of comparison numbers (with references) for RPG projects funded by publishers.

I'd like to see a set of comparison numbers (with references) for RPG projects funded by publishers.
You won't get it. Having been on the other side I agree that gamers almost always underestimate cost (and time/work), but publishers are not going to spill the beans from their side - partly for competitive reasons and partly because it's all tied up in the murky areas of finance - what rate loans they can get from banks/backers to finance the game etc. and those will themselves come with confidentially clauses etc.

Read Lars' blogs can get you some idea of a possible set of numbers, excluding the finance costs.

That said, I'm of the belief that project eternity should have lower costs than a modern AAA RPG - both from a mechanics point of view (can't stress that 2D world enough) and overheads (predominantly digital distribution, no publisher costs, better financial bargaining made available by large upfront capital investment). My biggest fear is resultant lack of QA - they're aiming to counter this by design rather than post QA.. hopefully that will turn out OK, but they'll need to be smart.

Aye, $4,1M won't fund the entire thing. I'd say it's enough to fund roughly 20 people for a year, and that's without any of the additional costs to developing a game. I assume Obsidian themselves finance the rest in hopes of future sales bringing in the cash - 75k or some such thing has pre-ordered by being part of the KS, but they can probably expect 5+ that number in terms of sold units.

Back
Top Bottom