What constitutes an oldschool computer game, anyway?

Last edited:
Holy crap, I had one of those Merlins back in the day. I don't even remember what it did (outside of reading the wiki).

I had another one, which I don't remember the name of, back in the early 80's that was a panel about 12"x16" with 4(IIRC) lightbulbs at the top that were under blocklike covers. You could slip different papers under the covers to play different games. The panel had half a million holes in it, and they gave you wiring schematics that you'd use to set up rather complex circuits. After you did that, you'd play the game by moving sliders that changed the contact points. I put in quite a few hours with that thing.

TThis is because in the "old days" games sold better when they represented an evolution in gameplay, and when they took concepts to the next level. This was because gamers were enthusiasts and not casual about their hobby, so they naturally wanted games to be "pure".

I like this, too.

Games used to be quite challenging, both to learn how to play and to be able to beat them. With the amount of games released today I am actually ok with games requiring less effort. I do not have time to master every game like I used to.

PAC MAN!!! The second oldest of the oldschool. It's still the best game I played when I was growing up :)

After that I would go with the above mentioned quality over graphics. For example: All goldbox games, Ultima 1 - 6, and anything made on the C64 or computers during that era Autoduel, Phantsia etc. Even games made nowadays can be oldschool Avernum, Geneforge, Dominions 3 and Eschalon.

It's probably like Magerette said "It's all in the eye of the beholder" and yes that is an oldschool game too ;)

Back
Top Bottom