ME4 - 10 Things To Learn From DA:Inquisition

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
So enjoy your Sunday and read another top ten list from Whatculture. This time the list has 10 things Mass Effect 4 must learn from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Mass Effect 3 was one of Bioware’s most controversial games. Following the near universal acclaim for Mass Effect 2, expectations were incredibly high for Bioware to deliver the spectacular ending fans were promised. While Mass Effect 3 was a good game in its own right, certain design choices were clearly influenced by corporate interests, and this left many fans feeling betrayed. For the first time faith in the developer was shaken. Some of the more extreme fans even declared that they would never purchase another of their games again.

Enter Dragon Age: Inquisition. In a time where the video game industry is being infested with shameful business practices and a lack of transparency, Inquisition is a reminder of why people play video games. In terms of sheer scope and wealth of things to do it is the biggest game of 2014. Its diverse characters and world building are second to none. Not only is it one of the best games of the year, in many ways it is one of Bioware’s best games.

What does this have to do with Mass Effect you may ask? Well, if Inquisition is anything to go by, then the Mass Effect series appears to be in more than capable hands. For anyone still sore over the Mass Effect 3 debacle, playing Inquisition is a must. It shows that, even with all the changes that have transpired over the years, Bioware continues to make some of the best video games.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is so good that the next Mass Effect could learn a thing or two from its design choices. Given the sour note the series last left off on, a lot is riding on the success of the upcoming Mass Effect 4. Here are some of the things the next Mass Effect should learn from Dragon Age: Inquisition in order to make the best game possible.
More information.

ME4 mustn't learn anything from DA3.

I just wish DA3 learned from ME series. It did not.

DA:I goes a long way toward bringing fans back to BioWare, but I'd consider it an exception rather than the rule. BioWare knew fans were pissed after the ME3 'controversy' and the DA2 letdown, so I'm guessing EA dumped far money into getting DA:I right than was covered under the original budget, especially when the delays are considered. If there's any truth to the slow sales rumors in addition, EA won't make much money here, and they won't let that happen very often. ME4 may be a great game, but I serious doubt it will be anything near the quality, scope and size of DA:I— or even the first 3 ME games.

I hope I'm wrong.

I wonder why no one writes an article that says:

"10 Things ME4 Should Learn From Baldur's Gate 2"

Ah, well. Maybe I'll write that article :)

I guess it is just me but so far I'm finding DA:I a confusing mess; also one bug so far where the game gets into a cpu loop with the pc interface and alas the interface over all is very clumsy but i hear the next patch might make it worse.

I'm finding it a confusing mess too. I'm really thinking of shelving this game but keep hanging on because of Watch reviews. It just has to get better at some point… Right? I'm just not getting any attachment to the game so far. Normally I get attached to few NPCs by now but nope. I liked both Cullen and Leliana in previous games but they are so meh right now… Not liking my own PC (her voice sooooo doesn't match what I imagined my PCs would be). Hating combat. Quests are meh too, the only one I enjoyed so far is the one asking mages to join inquisition to close breach.

10. Don't limit players to humanity.
- Yep. Agree.

9. Inventory Management Is Still Annoying
- Indeed, it is. Just add some easy to use interface for PC users where several "tabs" merge into one. I understand the need for tabs and what not on consoles, as the controls are rather limited, but being forced to use the same interface with a mouse and keyboard is always annoying.

8. Paragon/Renegade Is Pointless
- This is also true. I'm not a big fan of "meta gaming", whether it's companion influence or reputation. It limits roleplaying. Simply having consequences based on player actions tends to work out better.

7. If You’re Going To Do Multiplayer, Do It Right
- Just don't do it. It wasn't particularly good in either ME or DA.

6. Delay If You Have To
- Yep.

5. Keep Improving The Romance System
- Either that or skip it. Just don't do a useless one. The worst I've seen in a major RPG actually wasn't BioWare - it was Elanee in NWN2. It came out of nowhere and felt as if it had been added in the last 5 min of development just to have a romance in the game.

4. The Importance Of The Dialogue Wheel
- There are many ways of doing this, but I guess it worked out okay in DA: I. Left options are typically inquisitive and right options moves the conversation forward. It works out fine, though it still suffers from the "that was not what I intended to say" issue that all dialogue systems without full sentences suffer from.

3. Side Quests Should Be Meaningful
- Yes, and there are too many crap ones in DA: I as well. Don't forget that. Some of them really do make sense, and they're very good, but others are just as bad as the ones in ME3.

2. World And Characters Matter More Than Plot
- I don't really agree with this. I know that quite a few people consider ME2 the best of the ME series, and they're definitely supporters of this argument, as ME2 had excellent characters, but terrible plot. For me, however, an interesting plot is essential, and it's one of the reasons I consider ME better than either ME2 or ME3 - the plot was actually really good.

1. Exploration Matters
- Yes, it does. Couldn't agree more.

I agree with all your points, Maylander, except the one with world and characters. I actually value characters more than entire story, hence, I liked ME2 more than ME1. In saying that though, I think both are very important and would like it if the developer does not sacrifice one over the other.

I agree with all your points, Maylander, except the one with world and characters. I actually value characters more than entire story, hence, I liked ME2 more than ME1. In saying that though, I think both are very important and would like it if the developer does not sacrifice one over the other.

The two things are usually conected, a good story with bad characters may work, but suffers from it. The reverse is the same. Anyway, I don't think ME2 had a bad story and it did certainly have memorable characters.
This said, the only thing that ME4 maybe could borrow from would be to include a strategic/ diplomatic map in the single player version. But only if the scope of things will be as big as it was in the previous entries. Anything in a smaller scope would be better off avoiding any DA:I influence.

Back
Top Bottom