Underworld Ascendant - Game Funded

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I'm sure this is old news by now but Underworld Ascendant was finally funded on Kickstarter, and OtherSide Entertainment posted a new update with the news.

Today we reached our base funding goal of $600,000. What to say…

Humbled.

Honored to have your support.

To be honest, a bit relieved that we did in fact reach this milestone.

Incredibly excited that we can now make the game we have so passionately wanted to make for twenty years, and do it together with you.

The team will celebrate and enjoy for a long moment… then right back to work! We are relishing climbing up into the stretch goals over the next 6 days of the campaign. Let’s enjoy that together. Then we can have an even bigger collective celebration.
More information.

Last edited:
Good to see this has taken off a bit in the last few days.
There´s a lot of potential in a game like this and I´m really interested what this particular team will be able to do with it.
They should´ve shifted the Tracy Hickman novel too, though :).

This game deserves support because else gimmicky, fluffy indie games with pixel art are all we're going to get. This is a team of experienced developers who made some of the best games ever to. These aren't fresh-faced kids out of college who are going to waste money on dumb BS.

This game deserves support because else gimmicky, fluffy indie games with pixel art are all we're going to get. This is a team of experienced developers who made some of the best games ever to. These aren't fresh-faced kids out of college who are going to waste money on dumb BS.

Just to point out when they were making some of the best games ever they were fresh-face kids just out of college.

Bloody kids and their dang video game contraptions.

I wonder if someday Arcane will go to KS to make Arx Fatalis 2 (the first one was basically Ultima Underworld 3 in spirit).

Just to point out when they were making some of the best games ever they were fresh-face kids just out of college.

The difference was that they had better degrees related to computing, and the need to program on a platform with a lot of limitations weeded out the incompetent, and this was an environment that fostered rigor.

The difference was that they had better degrees related to computing, and the need to program on a platform with a lot of limitations weeded out the incompetent, and this was an environment that fostered rigor.

First let me start by saying I only meant my before comments as a funny.

Though I am not sure what facts you have that they had better degrees in computers back then. If I recall my days in College a lot of us knew as much or in a lot of cases more then the professors.

As for programs and platform limitations I am not sure about that. Though I am not saying back then you could make a game like DA or TW etc. With all the fancy bells and whistles with get with games now. Every generation runs into the same problem in wanting to push the limitations of what they can do with computers.

This would be one of the big reason there is always new software and hardware coming out. So people can push and improve over what was made yesterday. Think about some of the games that took more than a few years to come out by a developer. A lot of the time they fail because they are already out dated.

So I don't know how you can say "These aren't fresh-faced kids out of college who are going to waste money on dumb BS." when there are so many great people making game these days. I am sure they all are not old farts like me that were messing around with computers in the 80's.

It seems some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about :)

I didn't back UA as the game just doesn't really seem like my cup of tea (i.e., first person dungeon crawler with twitch combat). Still, I'm happy they got funded as more CRPGs can only be a good thing.

Well it's good that they succeeded. However, I suspect they may have to rely more on post KS contributions. But if they keep posting periodic updates that make it to the news sites, that could help draw in more donors.

… I didn't back UA as the game just doesn't really seem like my cup of tea (i.e., first person dungeon crawler with twitch combat).

You're going to miss out on a great game if that's your reason for not supporting it.
This is NOT a fast paced "twitch combat" game. Here is a quote from the developers:
It is worth highlighting that in Underworld Ascendant combat will not be a fast, twitch experience. Even though gameplay is played out in fluid first-person 3D, the pace will be slower than a “shooter”, giving players more time to make tactical decisions.

Pssssttt, it will still be buy able to those who didn't fund it you know.

Pssssttt, it will still be buy able to those who didn't fund it you know.

Thanks for that tidbit of wisdom....wouldn't be buyable at all if it didn't get funded

Back
Top Bottom