DA:O The Dragon Age "I Have It" Thread

Dragon Age: Origins
Can someone clarify something for me? I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition from EB here in Canada but haven't gotten a call yet. Do I need to get a key for downloadable content?

Thanks!

uh, funny. I called a local EB games store here in Quebec city and the guy told me that they didnt have any copy left. Then I asked him if there was any CE edition left (I remember for Fallout 3 that they were the only copies they hadnt sold) and he answered me that they were only for people who had preordered.

Strange...

By the way, it seems basically everywhere had PS3/Xbox versions of the game still available but that the PC version was rarer and sold more quickly.

I finally found out the problem. I had pre-ordered it but the clerk had put in the Xbox 360 version :( Oh well, I went ahead and ordered it from EA so at least I have it :)

I'm still jealous, but I should get a new pc next Tuesday or Wednesday, so I'll probably buy the game this weekend. I'm playing through Dragon Age Journeys this week so that I can free up any goodies that come from finishing it. I haven't downloaded the character creator because I fear that my very limited graphics card wouldn't even handle that piece of the game. I have an integrated Intel 945G, not exactly cutting edge :)

I ordered the regular version on Amazon. They say it's in the mail. :)

Is there access (or a way to buy separately) the DLC content without having bought the CE edition?

EDIT: Nevermind. YES, is the answer.

Last edited:
Got it and installing now.

In addition to the CE DLC items, the store handed out a flyer with unlock codes for 5 more items. It's all in Chinese so I'm not sure what they are yet. There's 1 amulet, 2 rings, a pair of boots and a belt.

I must have missed the announcement that there would be more items to download if you just purchase the game from a retailer. Granted, there is so much free stuff being given away now it's hard to figure out what is what.

EA does this with The Sims games as well, at least EA Taiwan does I'm not sure about the rest of the world. When I bought Expansion packs to The Sims 2 sometimes the clerk put in a flyer for downloadable items for your game.

I has it for Xbox 360! :) I couldn't stand to wait until my new PC is ordered and built. Maybe I'll also get the PC version if I'm really enjoying this.

So far, I'm not blown away just yet. I'm enjoying it, definitely, but Mass Effect's cinematic presentation did take me off guard. I'm guessing Dragon Age will be more RPG'ey, so it should grow on me. I've also only been playing for a couple of hours or so, not past the Origin story yet. I've chosen a dwarf noble and so far that's been great. I wonder how much I can influence the story by making different decisions.

I'm feeling the pain of missing a keyboard/mouse slightly after playing Borderlands so much, but I guess it can't be helped. At least I can just sit back and only worry about the gameplay in my hand. :)

I got it Friday, playing it on hard difficulty and having a blast. Certainly challenging but so far, doable. I do play it strategically, pausing a few times per combat (and a lot during the 'big battles')

Got it on Friday, and can't see myself going back to Risen any time soon certainly . . . and there's kings bounty, alpha protocol, mass effect 2 and divinity 2 likely to mostly come out before I've even managed to work through dragon age (not to mention possible age of decadence, eschalon & the last avernum from the indie side), god knows how I'm going to find the time.

You and me both. They are piling up, and my significant other says "more games?!"

I have yet to play NWN2 plus expansions and Gothic 3….

Heh, same here. I never could get past halfway in NWN2.
Every time I'd make some significant progress with G3, I'd upgrade some hardware and lose my gamesaves.. yeah, I know, I shoulda remembered to back them up…

One day is one day, and I'll finish G3 and NWN 2. :fingerscrossed:

It reads like Dragon age plays a LOT like Drakensang and less like NWN/2. Am I right there?

- Health and mana regeneration (no sleeping)
- Significance of classes reduced, skills and talents made more generic and accessible
- Camera control
- Armor is for damage reduction rather than chance to miss

Last edited:
One day is one day, and I'll finish G3 and NWN 2. :fingerscrossed:

Same thing here. But I start thinking that I will never finish these two games... simply to much good new games coming up and I don't even have the time to play those.

Damn, would like to play a bit more Dragon Age today...but I have math class tomorow... work goes first.

BTW: Hello everybody! After years of lurking I finally managed to register :D.

Armor (the stat) gives DR, Defence reduces enemy chance to hit you. Some armor (the item) has Defence (the stat) on it.

The classes are fewer in number, but more distinct from each other than in D&D. A DPS warrior would play a lot like a DPS rogue, but otherwise the classes are distinct. You could create two Mages and have them be vastly different characters. Two warriors could also be very distinct (say, a sword and board tank vs a DW DPS). A utility/archery/bard type rogue is very different to an assasin/DPS/DW rogue.

I often feel like 'this is what NWN/NWN2 should have been'. It's like they took the NWN2 interface, laughed, and made a good interface intstead. I don't consider the spells generic at all, an entropy mage will feel very different to a primalist.

Are the CLASSES really that different? Sure you can BUILD any character to be distinct from another character build, but I don't see the class restrictions like I do in NWN/2.

For example, in Drakensang, all classes/races can learn most skill / talents, except spells. In NWN/2 there are more class-based restrictions on skill and feat selections (and spells, of course).

Well, only Rogues can disarm traps, pick locks, stealth, and backstab.

Only Warriors can tank (threat building abilities, use of sheilds, and effective use of heavy armor are limited to warriors), use 2 handed weapons (effectively at least, a Rogue with enough strength could probably equip one, but they'd be gimpy)

Mages - well they cast spells.

Skill access is the same for all classes (provided they meet attribute requirements), and everyone can equip all kinds of armor provided they meet the requirements. But I like that. The restrictions tend to come in more subtle forms than something like 'rogues can't wear heavy armor' - it's more like rogues can wear heavy armor, it's stupid, but you can do it.

Rogues and Warriors are more similar than Mages are to anything, but they're still quite distinct. That said, a DPS dual wield rogue and a DPS dual wield warrior are more similar than a tanking warrior is to a DPS warrior.

As for talents, rogues and warriors have dual wield and archery talents in common, but apart from that all talents/spells are class exclusive.

So it sounds like class restrictions are more prevalent than Drakensang, but less prevalent than NWN/2. Yet, NWN/2 allow multi-classing...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom