DA:O The Dragon Age "I Have It" Thread

Dragon Age: Origins
I see what's happening here. Just this time the tables are turned.

I've seen people attack Mass Effect with what they found were valid arguments. They probably were, but I liked the game. I felt I needed to go in defence mode reading them. I did not enjoy being called a shitbox kiddie for liking it.

Well, when I was really young, I found out that when you really like, really love something--you are positively smitten by it--and someone comes along and trashes it all over the place... it just does not compute. Of course this person must be wrong or simply does not understand it! Things escalate from there.

I think txa's comment was based on that. I think it was undeserved and it would have been better had he challenged your complaints with his side of things. I don't believe anyone had bad intentions or anything, so I hope the disappointment in RPGWatch and the angry vows never to return here will melt and make way to proper constructive talk. Because I value both the positive and negative in forming an opinion. Usually I want to see if what people find as a negative counts as one for myself, too. Very often, that is not the case, but if it is at least I have been forewarned.

So we can have different opinions, but I truly understand how remarks like "weak sauce", "x is busted", "y is broken" and "x > y" can be misconstrued without proper explanation. Avoid those and we'll all be the happier. :)

The PC german standard version of DA:O is buggy (the installer stops at 10%) and had to be withdrawn from the german market.

so I don't have DA:O yet :(

There's nothing "happening" here Thaurin, other than someone getting lightly chided for putting his head in the lion's mouth, then being surprised when he felt the teeth.

All txa was referring to the almost comical situation of someone saying that theyre probably not going to like something, then discovering that their assumptions were right - they didnt like it. Well, no kidding. If the thought of eating raw fish doesnt appeal to you, and youve tried it in the past, yet you go to a sushi restaurant - yeah, it's gonna be kind of funny when you go drop a hundred bucks in one, just to discover you still hate it. Yeah, someone just may have a laugh at your expense, or think youre a dumbass for thinking anything less.

If you dont like Bioware RPGs, and you dont like what youve seen in the absolutely exhausting amount of coverage material up to this point, dont cry when we chuckle about your "rude awakening" that your pre-concieved notions are affirmed.

Oh, I thought he liked Baldur's Gate at least. But you're right, don't be surprised if you've never enjoyed their particular brand of RPG. But if you liked Baldur's Gate's open-world and you find out that Dragon Age is mostly on rails (don't know if it is) then yeah that would be a valid criticism for someone to dislike it. Generally, I don't understand people that only want games in one way on only that way, but there are plenty of people like that on these forums!

What surprises me, though, is that for once both the reviewers and hardcore fans seem to agree that this is a great game. Which makes me want it even more!!

Lot's of different opinions here and that's to be expected. But I have one question of those who are familiar with Bioware games: is this game pretty much an updated version of NWN2? I've read several comments suggesting a close relationship between these games and was wondering if the basic gameplay was that similar. The isometric screenshots do seem that way.

Let's all take a deep breath and get back to the impressions, yeah?

I'm not seeing the connection with KotOR. Some of the areas are small - I agree - but there are others that are equal to BG / BGII. The Origin + Ostagar is pretty linear but it serves to set things up - and then you get the world map.

Lot's of different opinions here and that's to be expected. But I have one question of those who are familiar with Bioware games: is this game pretty much an updated version of NWN2? I've read several comments suggesting a close relationship between these games and was wondering if the basic gameplay was that similar. The isometric screenshots do seem that way.

It can feel that way. I play it mostly in iso mode and it certainly feels to me like some sort of cross between BGII and NWN2-done-better. The story delivery and level of polish are miles ahead, in my opinion, which makes a huge difference.

OK, thanks. Maybe I'll give it a try.
I initially liked NWN2, especially the character development, but I became mostly bored with it after the first chapter. I tried several times but never wanted to continue after chapter two.

I guess that depends on why you got bored. I found some of the Origins excellent but then you get funneled for a while, which seems to annoy some (but then it opens up). I think it's much better than vanilla NWN2 (so far) but if you want a genuine open-ended or living world or whatever, this isn't it. BioWare never does that.

Well with my initial post I was giving my impressions. And trying to help others if they are on the fence and felt the same way about certain things that I do. Hoping to save them a buck before trying a demo. But if all is going to happen is be ridiculed by Mods/Admins(TXA#####) ...then I guess this isn't the forums to try and post impressions/opinions. p/o

Well with my initial post I was giving my impressions. And trying to help others if they are on the fence and felt the same way about certain things that I do. Hoping to save them a buck before trying a demo. But if all is going to happen is be ridiculed by Mods/Admins(TXA#####) …then I guess this isn't the forums to try and post impressions/opinions. p/o

Calm down. You had one interaction with one staff member. As for trying to save people money, I don't think you've seen enough to say, based on my own experience with the game. I just don't agree it's like KotOR, other than BioWare will always be BioWare.

By the way, I don't know how old you are but many of us here have been playing RPGs since the very beginning of the genre -we're not "new RPGers".

Have the PC DVD version.

Very un-impressed. The Eurogamer review is dead on for me (the one that sorta sounds like a 6/10 all along then gives it an 8 … except I would give it a 6).

Perhaps it will grow on me, but no Bioware game ever has …

Demon's Souls > Dragon Age

Demon's Souls is pretty cool, a cult classic I feel, but I suspect it is nothing like DA. It's sounding like you're not quite to the meat and 2 veg of DA though, so maybe after a little more playing? I'm not saying it will get better for you as I've just installed and have no personal experience with the game yet. Regarding taste, I don't think Demon's Souls will get the nod over Dragon Age here even if I agree with your opinion. Story driven lovers aren't going to be into Demon's Souls, well probably not, there's always exceptions.

Yes, I have DA:O btw.

I see some surface similarities with a few aspects of KoTOR, but I like this game WAY more than NWN2. Tactics are important here, not destroyed as they were in NWN2!!

I am hoping this will be the second bioware game that I will like ( the first being jade empire... mostly because of john cleese and the setting... not because it is a "great game" or anything )

However first I need to complete KB on impossible with my knight, and Risen and.. and.. and.. and... with some luck I might be able to try it 2010....

Yay I finaly got to play this morning. (grr 6th release date for the UK) I only had time for a couple of hours before work but I'm enjoying it so far.

I loved the little touch when changing locations when it said do you wish to gather your party and venture forth? (something like that) Very Baldurs Gate esq! :biggrin:

I'm not keen on the pause and the loud drum beat when you save the game, but it;s a minor niggle. (I don't suppose someone knows how to disable that annoying drumbeat?)

I started with a Dwarf Rogue and went round nicking coppers of the beggers! :lol:

Excellent stuff. :cool:

Daniel.

Well with my initial post I was giving my impressions. And trying to help others if they are on the fence and felt the same way about certain things that I do. Hoping to save them a buck before trying a demo. But if all is going to happen is be ridiculed by Mods/Admins(TXA#####) …then I guess this isn't the forums to try and post impressions/opinions. p/o

Calm down. You had one interaction with one staff member. As for trying to save people money, I don't think you've seen enough to say, based on my own experience with the game. I just don't agree it's like KotOR, other than BioWare will always be BioWare.

By the way, I don't know how old you are but many of us here have been playing RPGs since the very beginning of the genre -we're not "new RPGers".

Let me just be very clear - I chose not to pick apart your post because while I might disagree with much of what you have said, I DO believe that everyone here is equally entitled to their opinion. Because I am a site contributor gives me no special say or make my opinion any better than anyone else's. I'm just trying to be part of the discussion.

***HOWEVER*** you chose to use a small-minded and offensive word in your post. My response was that in doing so you have shown yourself to be either very immature or very young (and therefore excusably immature). And rather than accept that you used offensive terminology and correctly apologize for doing so, which would have shown self-awareness and maturity, you launched into a personal attack on me.

I'm so envious of you all. My wife and I ordered our copies via Amazon and we're hoping they'll arrive today. But then Amazon was so kind as to only send one set of keys for the DLCs (which isn't much anyway, but still).

I want (need) my copies for my DA fix! ^^

I just got my copy from Gamestation but I the code they send me are for PS3 version :(

Trying to sort it out. I wounder if PS3 codes will work on PC.....

Back
Top Bottom