Blackguards - Win an Early Access Deluxe Edition @RPGWatch!

Turn-based is just like table-top RPGs, which rock! Sometimes u want an experience like that, but just don't have a GM and 4 friends handy!

Could we please resolve this contest in turns? As it is in real-time, I cannot hope to compete with the young-uns!
I need my time to draw up a good idea, reflect on it from all angles and maybe request feedback from my peers before I can perfect it and finally dare commit it to this thread. :(

TBS is slower, thus can't hide gameplay imperfections. So a bold ambitious developer would never choose RT > TB

Turn based combat gives time to plan moves and make decisions, allowing for the strengths of a whole party to be deployed. Realtime combat rarely allows a whole team of characters to use their powers, so tends to end up with single-character games. Single character games limit the range of abilities the individual character can explore, so a player cannot experience all the richness the game has to offer.

Thus, turn based combat allows a player to enjoy the full breadth of combat experience the game offers. Thus, it r0xx0rs! Sorrry. /blush

For me, turned-based combat puts the emphasis on strategy over hack n slash and quick think. I guess you can have strategy for both, but maybe I'm just not quick thinking enough for real-time combat :).

It isn't necessarily better or inferior. It's just a matter of preference. I like both turn based and real time combat. Sometimes I might be in the mood for Skyrim or Two Worlds 2, other times, I would prefer to play a game like Blackguards or HMM. Depends on mood.

Then there are the hybrid style party based RPGs like Dragon Age and Drakensang, where the battle is like real time, but you can pause the combat and choose actions for your party members, or just get some really cool screenshots of the battle.

Because reddit (and the presence of two monitors on my desk).

Ok, not always. It really depends on my gaming mood, I like both. Heck, I even like TBwP *gasp*. With two monitors I find myself reading news, blogs, reddit, etc. In those cases turn based or TBwP are especially great.

Turn based combat is bitter because it allows my aging brain to keep up with the game:)

I love turn based combat, allows you to handle multiple characters with different disciplines using proper planning. It rewards those being careful and using their skills.

An explanation not based on my preference:
Because it was the only method available when many gamers were imprinted by pen and paper RPGs and it carried over to CRPGs.
It is a boring and completely unrealistic activity to sit idly by while a group of enemies pummel your party. Then you get an opportunity to fiddle with inventory items and dress your paper dolls, pop some corn, open a beverage, call your mother, and finally decide you want to hit a Troll with a Fireball. What fun. Who wouldn't love such a system?

Back
Top Bottom