Mass Effect - More HUD Previews @ 1Up, IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
BioWare's Diarmid Clarke is stepping out with the latest Mass Effect details for the PC and IGN and 1Up have joined GameSpot's recent article with a look at the new HUD. From IGN:
IGN: Why create a new HUD?

Diarmid Clarke:
We started with the wheel system for the Xbox 360 version and it was a nice system and worked very, very well for the 360. We thought we could take it further for the PC. We set our goals which was "this game must absolutely feel like a naturally developed PC experience." We thought that by moving to the new tactical HUD where we can put the three component parts of the wheel all on the screen at the same time, it's just something that the PC can do very well because of the control method with the mouse and keyboard in conjunction with the hotkeys that we have. We were fortunate enough to be able to call upon the actual Mass Effect team to develop it so we knew it was really within our control and what we wanted.

IGN: And [the HUD] basically pops up onscreen and pauses the game when you hit the space bar?

Diarmid Clarke: Yeah.
More information.

Where I have absolutely 0 interest in this game it is nice to hear at least one company is realizing that sales could be hurt by too simple a control interface when ported to PC.

There is just so much more flexibility with a keyboard and mouse combination than a controller as well as its much better to take advantage of the higher screen resolutions that PC's offer. By doing so a company doesn't give the impression to the buyer that they just bought a cheap knockoff that's better played on something else.

It's definitely on my buy list. I'm not expecting PS:T but it sounds like a nice space opera action game and the PC attention is welcome.

That is where I am at - I'm getting it anyway, but the PC optimization is definitely welcome.

Back
Top Bottom