Witcher For those of us new to the Witcher

The Witcher
OTOH, the difficulty as it is now (medium) seems quite fine in some ways - normal, medium, average - the way i like it. The "easy" monsters that keep respawning again and again can be just hacked away without much effort... but the bigger fights need a potion or two. I don't want to spend a lot of time combatting respawning monsters.

BTW, one question regarding the character system...
There are strong, fast and group styles for both steel and silver..
Am I to spend points in all of 'em or just pick the ones that seem most important and concentrate on them? For now I've spent most of my points in str,dex,int,end (the "attributes") and the aard sign.

That doesn't really change if you switch to Hard. It's really not that much harder, apart from having your training wheels (i.e. the flaming sword icon) taken away. Also fewer talent points to spend, which means you have to give more thought to how you develop Geralt.

I strongly recommend developing your sword styles more or less evenly -- you will need all of them. I use Group most, Fast after that, and Strong least -- but there are a few enemies that are right bastards to beat if you're no good at Strong. Also read the "outer ring" talent descriptions carefully and pick accordingly -- some of them are really useful (i.e., knockdown, pain, bleeding, more damage), others are only marginally useful (e.g. work only when drunk/only when you're about to die/only when your enemy is about to die anyway).

But yeah, do develop your attributes first, and styles second. At least tag all of the "inner ring" talents on the attributes before developing your sword skills.

I thought about that certain "works only when intoxicated" skill.
What exactly is intoxicated? Under the effect of toxins or just booze?

..could be fun......

Booze.

I suppose it does make for an interesting buff tactic -- get shitfaced before every difficult battle, and then use Wives' Tears to sober up. Haven't tried it.

Oh, no no no no... You completely misunderstood.

Get shitfaced before _EVERY_ battle - or better yet...
be shitfaced all the time.

Except being shitfaced all the time isn't all that much fun. Not in The Witcher, anyway. Try it, you'll see.

I've suggested in other threads that perhaps a good tactic in developing your sword skills is to spend the points in the lower tiers of attack sequence - the I and II levels and then moving up... since you are gauranteed of getting those enhancements on your first attack and probably second, but not always assured of making it through the whole sequence due to clicking wrong, enemy disrupting your move, etc...

I strongly recommend developing your sword styles more or less evenly -- you will need all of them. I use Group most, Fast after that, and Strong least -- but there are a few enemies that are right bastards to beat if you're no good at Strong. Also read the "outer ring" talent descriptions carefully and pick accordingly -- some of them are really useful (i.e., knockdown, pain, bleeding, more damage), others are only marginally useful (e.g. work only when drunk/only when you're about to die/only when your enemy is about to die anyway).

But yeah, do develop your attributes first, and styles second. At least tag all of the "inner ring" talents on the attributes before developing your sword skills.

I agree entirely. This is how I've been approaching this playthrough.

Gotta be. I'm thinking a console version and then a sequel - they practically introduced Sapkowski to the western market, so I don't think they're going to leave all this marketing go to waste without re-using the license.
Are you sure? I read somewhere that the novels has been translated in english since a long time. But I didn't check the information.

The very cool instrument in the game soundtrack I wondered about earlier
might be a pipe-like instrument of armenian origin called "duduk".

I have wondered for long what the instrument is, for it was included in the
gladiator soundtrack too, which I loved.

Does anyone know if there are any armenians on these forums :D ?

1) Everytime Geralt enters a new location or save is loaded, he´s looking to the ground, but that´s no big deal since one mouse move solves it.

This can be remedied by edit the mod file camerasettings.2da in the _2da00 directory.

Change the TPP MinDist to -0.1

Now he will be looking straight ahead rather than straight down!

I'm surprised to see quite a lot of people here seem to have played on hard mode. I often play games on normal modes since I think it is the mode on which the designers spend their time as for balancing. Is it possible to keep alive some characters such as
Berengar
and
Vincent
in hard mode?

For, I think the following is important an essence in this game: while the choices about the main plot don't change the results much but only how the details are told, the players can change the lives of some NPCs. Some people who are accustomed to the world-savor plot may complain of this but, personally, I liked the moderate out-comings of interactions, which managed to produce feel of "realism.": The main character cannot change the world or his "destiny" except some lives around him.

I'm surprised to see quite a lot of people here seem to have played on hard mode. I often play games on normal modes since I think it is the mode on which the designers spend their time as for balancing. Is it possible to keep alive some characters such as
Berengar
and
Vincent
in hard mode?

I don't know about possible, but on my "hard" play-through, I got "no" on the former, "yes" on the latter.

For, I think the following is important an essence in this game: while the choices about the main plot don't change the results much but only how the details are told, the players can change the lives of some NPCs. Some people who are accustomed to the world-savor plot may complain of this but, personally, I liked the moderate out-comings of interactions, which managed to produce feel of "realism.": The main character cannot change the world or his "destiny" except some lives around him.

You put your finger on it. Few games manage to make the story matter to the player personally in this way; The Witcher really pulls it off well.

Thank you for your feed-back, PJ.

In my play-through on normal mode, I managed to let Burenger survive the battle against Javed with a few reloads. However, he just stands and says something pointless like "I needed to think". Someone posted a video of seemingly Polish version of the same scene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU-8eFHS6Hs Also, there is no journal update about Burenger's death, of course, but that's all I've gotten, means, no cut-scene or special reactions unlike in Vincent's and Adda's case.
So, it is theoretically possible to do the same in hard mode but I wonder people find it worth a try since it probably requires a lot of reloads at least.

Few games manage to make the story matter to the player personally in this way; The Witcher really pulls it off well.
Agreed. I think CDProjekt managed to synthesize seemingly contradicting factors: to let the story feel personal to the players while keeping the setting faithful to Sapkowski's world.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom