Gothic Gothic I/II tweaking advice

wynams

Watchdog
I am about to play thru Gothic I and II in anticipation of CP1.70 for Gothic III.

There is abundant tweaking knowledge out there for Gothic III so I am good there. However, I am looking for tweaking tips for Gothic I and II to squeeze every last drop of IQ out of these aging engines.

I have a good PC, and would like to know what texture packs, ini file tweaks, etc. are available.

I have found ThielHater and Freddys texture packs for Gothic I, and am looking for more of that sort of stuff.

Thanks!

You can find most of the files you need in our games DB. Search for "fps patch" or similar terms in the forum.
I don't have time to explain more in the next few days.

Gothic 1:

You need
- the latest patch (if necessary)
- the mod player kit
- the fps patch
- and then every other patch or texture pack you like.

Thanks much Gorath!

Gothic 2 ran already very well on a4y old pc, so there is no reason for tweaking it a lot.
Oh, I am not worried about it running well. I am worried about it running well with the engine and all of its variables being tweaked out to run well and look fantastic!

Cheers!

Check if the texture packs include a blue sky patch. If not you want that too. WoG might have a couple of tools to handle the mods. Not sure though.

Thanks again Gorath.

I got everything installed and running nicely.
Patch 1.08k
Player Kit 1.08k
Thiel Hater's Textures
Freddy's Textures
and the FPS Patch

Maxed out the ini ... results:
http://tinyurl.com/byj9gz

You can get some decent graphics by overriding antialiasing+anisotropic-filtering with your graphics-card. If you have Nvidia you can set it up from Nvidia Control Panel -> 3d Setting -> Manage 3d Settings and add the Gothic 2 exe there, then make the adjustments for AA+AF (result).

Time has been most unkind to the trees and water around the world of Gothic I. However, everything else has aged pretty well.

The bonus is this is my first play of I (played II to about 30-40% thru) ... I never understood what everyone saw in the Gothic series ... perhaps my mindset has changed from the first time I dabbled in G2, but the atmosphere of this game is very probably great :)

You can get some decent graphics by overriding antialiasing+anisotropic-filtering with your graphics-card. If you have Nvidia you can set it up from Nvidia Control Panel -> 3d Setting -> Manage 3d Settings and add the Gothic 2 exe there, then make the adjustments for AA+AF (result).
Your screenshot is making me look forward to playing G2!

I'm an ATI guy and I do have 8x/16x forced as well as adaptive AA and Mip,ap Detail cranked on my shots of Gothic 1.

I will post some ATI screens of G2 for comparisons sake soon.

Thanks hishadow!

Back
Top Bottom