WEP vs WPA

pibbur0x2a

Speaker to cats
Hello

I've just changed wi-fi settings from WEP to WPA2 at home. All our laptops connect just fine after reconfiguring them, but my HTC Desire phone won't connect. It detects the network, I've checked and rechecked the passphrase. :( !! It seems that there is a problem with the several HTC phones and WPA2, multiple solutions have been suggested, works for some not for others. I'm others.

It works with WEP. So I wonder if I should change back. Question: How unsecure is WEP? I've restricted the router to only accept certain Mac addresses, don't know if that matters for WEP vs WPA.

Says pibbur who wonders if he should have bought the Desire

WEP is very unsecure. I've seen where a basic program you can download for free can crack it in something like 90 seconds. The MAC addresses restriction might help, but I image those could be spoofed as well.

WEP... might as well leave your shit un-encrypted. MAC filters will give you some extra protection, but it´s a pain in the ass (if you have a bunch of random guests every now and then), and can also be easily circumvented. Your phone sucks.

You've convinced me, I'll stay with WPA2. Thank you.

Now if you'll excuse me: I have to spend some more time finding a solution for my cell phone's WPA phobia.

Says pibbur who fortunately doesn't have random guests.

Firmware upgrade perhaps? What kind of "workarounds" are being used for that phone and the WPA issue?

Uhm. Formerly I have used Open/WEP with a preshared passkey. Should I use WPA2-PSK?

It asks me for a passphrase. Can I use the same password as before?

Got it to work. I had to set up a wi-fi proxy which had it's own mac address on the cell phone. I don't think I had to do that before.

@JemyM: You can use a passphrase between 8 and 63 characters. So you can use the passphrase you used under WEP, but you have to re-enter it on the router and on your pc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom