Cats vs Dogs (or hamster/snake)

@Arhu Badger is a nut aswell. Don't blame other people's theme songs for being a bad influence on you... I think I could make a case to support the claim you were faulty prior to hearing the Badger Song.

@Bart When my cats "help" it just makes the task take longer. Typing on the computer... no problem. My cat walks across the keyboard and manages to shut down, do some weird things with the screen and make me reboot 10 times before the computer will work properly again. Wrapping a present... no problem. It is always recommended (apparrently) to nibble the edge of gifts, try and get as much fur as possible on the sticky tape, and if possible, when the first piece of tape is on the middle of the gift it is necessary to run and slide into the wrapping paper, rip the paper to shreads and push the gift out the other side. Solution: get a new piece of paper and start again. How did you get your cat to just sit there? When I try and take photos of my cats I generally have t do it with a telescopic lens or when they're asleep, otherwise it turns into a blurry action shot as they suddenly hoist a leg in the air to clean their rude bits. Very cute cat, I like most cats (except British folds, and I feel sorry for muchkin cats), but I smiled very big smile seeing your kitty.

@Prime Junta Very cute pupy and kitty, I love black cats. Sometimes the animals that have been though the most appauling things can be the most affectionate companions when they learn to trust you. I am glad your girl has a good life and a house full of love, patience and understanding. Your puppy looks like a cheeky troublemaker... just my type (hence my boyfriend). My girl doesn't like people, but a cuddle and a purr let me know she is happy and she trusts me. My boy normally ignores everyone, but would suck up to the mailmail if he thought it would get him John West tuna fillets in springwater.

@HiddenX I have never seen that breed of dog, but they are absolutely gorgeous. Very cute puppy. It looks like he's smiling... he knows he's the man of the house.

We had several pets over the course of time... I had a rabbit, two porpoises, two cats and five hamsters; hubby had a bird, a dog and two hamsters.

Um... porpoises?

Tell me more. Please?

@Bart When my cats "help" it just makes the task take longer. Typing on the computer... no problem. My cat walks across the keyboard and manages to shut down, do some weird things with the screen and make me reboot 10 times before the computer will work properly again. Wrapping a present... no problem. It is always recommended (apparrently) to nibble the edge of gifts, try and get as much fur as possible on the sticky tape, and if possible, when the first piece of tape is on the middle of the gift it is necessary to run and slide into the wrapping paper, rip the paper to shreads and push the gift out the other side. Solution: get a new piece of paper and start again. How did you get your cat to just sit there? When I try and take photos of my cats I generally have t do it with a telescopic lens or when they're asleep, otherwise it turns into a blurry action shot as they suddenly hoist a leg in the air to clean their rude bits. Very cute cat, I like most cats (except British folds, and I feel sorry for muchkin cats), but I smiled very big smile seeing your kitty.

She's just the quiet type of cat. She also know what she can and can not do. -> In the past when my parents were absent, she tried to do things she normally never does.(crawling in the curtains, to go outside late, get more of the tasty food) I locked her for 5 minutes in the garage, but when she came out she started all over again. Another 30 minutes and she came out nice and quiet. She never tried to pull a leg on me again.

About the playing part -> When she didn't pass the age of 3, she was way more playfull. Now it's only a few times a week she acts funny. (mostly outside) Still I can lure her with holding my finger under a newspaper. She still sees it as a prey and it's so funny to see the suprised look when she finds out it's only me.

Man, my cats are 9 and 10 and they act completely mental! I don't think cats ever really grow up.... (I feel like making another comparison to my cats and my man.... rather odd).
Our cats run the house and they know it. My girl is a good little girl, she doesn't destroy anthing of value, doesn't go the carpt, curtains or anything like that, she just goes into attack mode or skitty mode. I don't stop her because it is entertaining and she usually wears herself out and then cuddles or has a nap.

I noticed that HSPs tend to rather have cats somehow.

Stupid question. What's a HSP? Is it Highly Strung Person? If it is, I'm not highly strung, people just suck and my cats love me (or hate me) depending on how they interpret my attention towards them. If they love me they are purring and cuddly, if I have displeased them I must make a sacrifice, or worm my way back into their affections. I love my cats and they give me more love and entertainment than most people I have met. I enjoy spending time with them more than most people.
I am not highly strung, I just find their purr relaxing, and patting them is also a good stress relief.

Last edited:
Cats. Although they don't adore you like a dog, I feel like I've accomplished something whenever he wants to sit on my lap. And they are easier to keep than dogs.

Our cat is one-eyed. We got him from an animal protection organisation, he had been stray for some time. He was very nervous in the beginning, but now ghe's a very affectionate cat. Since he is one eyed, we really should have called him "Greebo", but since I've decided to name our cats after programming languages, this one is called "Pascal". Our next one will be called "C".

(My cat pet in WoW is called Sequel after SQL).

I'm 38% nerd according to MIT.

Um... porpoises?

Tell me more. Please?
Ahem. Typo. Freudian, perhaps. As much as sonny would like to have an aquarium... I ment tortoises. *sheepish grin*

:disappointed:

Rats, porpoises would've been so much cooler. Not that there's anything wrong with tortoises either.

Young Toby and old tomcat Felix like to play with each other:

Toby2.jpg

http://www.nonflamersguild.com/gallery/v/HiddenX/Toby2.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

In that shot I can see Toby is definitely not a Samoyed--they have about twice as much fur. (He's very cool an lovable looking anyway, of course. :) )Someday I'll get my grandfather's portrait scanned that has his spitz sitting on his lap circa 1910 and post it. Also my own dogs--I need a digital camera!

Someday I'll get my grandfather's portrait scanned that has his spitz sitting on his lap circa 1910 and post it. Also my own dogs--I need a digital camera!

I would like to see that old picture ;) - you definetly need a digital scanner and/or a digital camera -> always a nice wish for birthdays or christmas.

Ahem. Typo. Freudian, perhaps. As much as sonny would like to have an aquarium... I ment tortoises. *sheepish grin*

I said "porpoises? Does she mean tortoises?" and Dhruin said "No. She's had all sorts of pets" like I was an idiot for suggesting you may not have had the room or inclination to set up Sea World in your back yard. He's getting a forehead slap when he gets home. Next time he says "I told you so" I'm just going to say "but you also think people keep dolphins and orcas as pets, like I'd listen to you".

Thank you very much. I will get a lot of enjoyment out of this.

I've always preferred cats. I like dogs but I'm happier when they belong to someone else. I get a kick out of my cousin's dogs or LL's dogs when I visit but I've always kinda found dogs to be too smelly, juicy, and needy for a steady diet.

I tend to become oversensitive to my pets and because of that cats work better for me. I travel to Tampa and back a couple of times a month for work and, since I can't bear a five hour drive twice in one day, I always stay over. I also go home to Miami fairly often, and that means the pet is alone for the weekend if Tracy is out of town. Dogs need to be walked regularly and also get depressed when you leave them alone, even if it's just overnight. Cats on the other hand don't mind a little piece and quiet away from the primates. All you need to do is put down a food and water dispenser that will keep the cat happy for a day or two and you're ready to go. Your beloved cat will carry on happily with life doing what she always does, laying in sunbeams, sleeping, and chasing her ball. When you come home you will be integrated seamlessly back into her life and she'll instantly start cuddling up in your lap. I guess I just don't feel that I have very dog friendly lifestyle.

We have one cat now, a great big male who just turned 1 year old the first week of June. He's a big, goofy doll who has a foot fetish and loves to give kisses. He's built huge at 14 lbs of solid muscle but his voice hasn't changed yet so he still meeps like a kitten. The dichotomy of that tiny voice coming out of such a big boy can't help but make me giggle.

Tracy just lost her cat this weekend, she was 17 years old. She'd had her kitty from the day it was born and she's completely heartbroken. I can understand why, I lost the kitty I'd had since I was 13 last year. When the inevitable happens and you finally lose a beloved pet I always find myself wondering why we put ourselves through that experience. It's so heart-wrenching and miserable, but we do it still.

We had planned to be out of the pet business after Tracy's cat, but about a month ago a friend begged us to take our big guy. He had been abandoned in an apartment after a friend of our friend fled town for some unknown reason. She and her husband live in a tiny one bedroom and already have a dog who isn't cat friendly. She didn't want to take the cat to animal control so she asked us to take him in. That's how we got Chaplin, our big black and white goof with the Charlie Chaplin mustache. :D

I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
@Gig. I think we do it because it's a life saved. Even though it takes so much out of you when they are no longer with us, an animal in need of love and shelter is always going to win over knowing there will be a lot of pain down the road. I think about the day I don't have my girl and boy anymore and I cry... a lot. I know they will go, and I know it will hurt, but I know I will give a home to more animals as I always think the one cat or dog I adopt may have been put down. That's why we got our boy. Ginger kitties weren't selling at the animal shelter and the woman there said the ginger one would probably be put down as they had a few litters of purebreds (I asked which kittens were most likely to be put down, she didn't just say it as a guilt trip). Our boy climbed the chicken wire and sqeaked at my partner. I picked him up and he snuggled in my neck and started purring and that was it. He picked us more than we picked him, but I think it was meant to be. I just fell in love with our little girl when I first saw her (well, sort of saw her). She was hiding at the back of the cage and I could only see her eyes and her ears, but I could tell she was really scared.
It's saving one healthy, wonderful life at a time. It hurts so much when they are gone, but they give so much love and companionship when they with us.

Back
Top Bottom