EA - John Riccitiello Steps Down as CEO

I would love to write EA off and just assume that KS-funded smaller companies will pick up the gaming torch. But until I see a truly polished game worth the money made by these folks, then it's all just a lot of hype and promises. In no particular order, these games would include Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Torment, etc. If they are all they're cracked up to be upon release, I'll start buying into the "We don't need AAA games" movement. Until then, I remain skeptical that they can provide the kind of entertainment a AAA game does for me currently.

In addition, if something were to happen to EA it would affect what is left of BioWare, or more importantly the IPs of BioWare that I love-- Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

From my point of view, EA has affected the Bioware IPs in about as bad a way as I can think of. So if they fold, and Bioware gets sold to someone else, or the IPs get scooped up by another deeloper, it would actually give me MORE hope.

You are right, we have no proof that the KS games will be great, and I don't think the first wave will be comparable to AAA releases (nor is anyone expecting that, right?). I just think it may eventually go that way - but as I said, I think that would take time and additional developments.

There is not a single AAA game I am currently looking forward to. There are, however, quite a few Kickstarters and other small-studio titles on that list. In fact, that list is exclusively comprised of small studios. What these corporate gas bags do doesn't concern me at all anymore. Whether or not Kickstarter ultimately proves to be the match that burns publishers to the ground — and I would be the first one to plop happily down next to the holocaust to warm my bones and roast a marshmallow — I'm thankful to Kickstarter for getting me out from under the AAA thumb today.

Edit: And add Steam to my Thanksgiving-prayer list. None of this would be possible without direct distribution from a widely used source. I'm not a fan of DRM either, but all the anti-Steam people should think about that. Steam's largely unobtrusive DRM is a pretty good compromise.

Not even The Witcher 3 or Risen 3?

Yeah I can think of a couple myself, including Witcher 3. Bioshock infinite looks fun - that'll probably be this year's Far Cry 3 for me in that it'll be one of those rare shooters I actually enjoy. Also looking forward to Cyberpunk and the inevitable Fallout 4 (maybe with Obsidian getting to do another project along the lines of New Vegas or being contracted to make some of the DLC.)

Not even The Witcher 3 or Risen 3?

Not particularly looking forward to TW3, no. I'll probably end up getting it, though, because I like open worlds and they're supposedly making one this time. I really found The Witcher 2 disappointing. I also found Risen 2 a bit disappointing but not so much I wouldn't give them another chance.

Not particularly looking forward to TW3, no. I'll probably end up getting it, though, because I like open worlds and they're supposedly making one this time. I really found The Witcher 2 disappointing. I also found Risen 2 a bit disappointing but not so much I wouldn't give them another chance.

I'm completely the opposite. Risen 2 to me was brilliant, just short, we got used to longer games from PB. But when publisher says something, then it's final. Definetly looking forward to R3.

TW2 was even more awsome, can't wait for TW3.

Both games I've already replayed. Can't remember last time I've replayed any EA game. No fun catching myself thinking "OMG they still didn't fix this".

Risen 3 is hardly an AAA game, though.

Witcher 3 is probably AAA - but I very much doubt they can match the top dogs in terms of budget. Then again, they seem capable of doing so much more with so much less.

I don't like that type of RPGs (first or third person slashers), so to me pretty much all my expectations lie on Kickstarter releases.

Back
Top Bottom