Fallout: New Vegas - Hiring a Starry Cast

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Bethesda let us know that they have secured a number of celebrities for Fallout: New Vegas.
BETHESDA SOFTWORKS REVEALS
STAR-STUDDED CAST FOR FALLOUT®: NEW VEGASTM
Celebrity Roles to Include Ron Perlman, Matthew Perry, Wayne Newton, Zach Levi and MoreAugust 10, 2010 (Rockville, MD) - Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today revealed the star-studded voice over cast for Fallout®: New VegasTM, the follow-up game to the critically acclaimed Fallout® 3. Fallout: New Vegas features Golden Globe-winner and two time Emmy nominated actor Ron Perlman ("Hellboy", "Sons of Anarachy"), Screen Actors Guild-winner and Emmy and Golden Globe nominated actor Matthew Perry ("Friends"), Mr. Las Vegas himself, Wayne Newton, William Sadler ("Shawshank Redemption"), Zach Levi ("Chuck"), Felicia Day ("The Guild"), Michael Dorn ("Star Trek:The Next Generation"), Kris Kristofferson ("Blade Trilogy,"), Danny Trejo ("Machete", "From Dusk Till Dawn"), John Doman ("Mystic River", "The Wire") and Rene Auberjonois ("Boston Legal", "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine").
"The Fallout franchise has taken narratives in interactive entertainment to the next level, and we could not be more excited about the all-new celebrity lineup for Fallout: New Vegas," said Pete Hines, Vice President of PR and Marketing for Bethesda Softworks. "The voice acting provided by these actors helps drive the compelling and immersive story of Fallout and further adds to the overall gameplay experience."
Ron Perlman returns to voice the narrator in Fallout: New Vegas, a role he has played in every major Fallout game to date. Matthew Perry plays Benny, a smooth-talking, two faced gangster, and Wayne Newton takes on the role as "Mr. New Vegas," the radio DJ of the Mojave Wasteland.
Three celebrities take on roles as playable companions in Fallout: New Vegas: Danny Trejo is Raul the Ghoul, a mechanic and former gunslinger; Zach Levi is Arcade, a member of the Followers of the Apocalypse who hides a mysterious past, and Felicia Day is Veronica, a sarcastic Brotherhood of Steel scribe.
The epic cast continues with Kris Kristofferson as Chief Hanlon, a grizzled solider at the end of his career, and Rene Auberjonois as the enigmatic and reclusive Mr. House. Michael Dorn reprises his role as Marcus, an intelligent super mutant, who was last seen in 1998's Fallout® 2; John Doman is Caesar, the charismatic and powerful dictator at the head of Caesar's Legion. William Sadler plays Victor, a friendly robot with the personality of an old fashioned cowboy.
In addition to this star-studded cast, players can expect to hear even more celebrity cameos throughout the world of Fallout: New Vegas.

Fallout: New Vegas, the follow-up to Fallout 3 - the 2008 Game of the Year - brings this beloved franchise to a location only Fallout could do justice: Vegas. Fallout: New Vegas takes all the action, humor and post-apocalyptic grime and grit of this legendary series, and raises the stakes. Published by Bethesda Softworks, Fallout: New Vegas is currently under development at Obsidian Entertainment. Fallout: New Vegas will be available in North America on October 19, 2010 for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Games for Windows and in Europe on October 22, 2010.
Fallout: New Vegas has been rated Mature by the ESRB. For more information on Fallout: New Vegas, visit http://fallout.bethsoft.com.
Celebrity acquisition and voice production services provided by Blindlight LLC.

Last edited:
Wow, some impressive names there, hope they've put them to good use. :)

( Felicia Day? Awwww... :3 )

Wow, let's spend hordes of money on hiring celebrities.... money we could have spent to make a game with good story and game-play instead.....

Sounds almost as if they had learned a thing or two from German publishers. Like for Drakensang 1 & 2 , where "German voices" of well-known, in part american actors were used for the games.

I've heard it opined that fancy voice actors are wasted on RPGs since, except for cutscenes, people just read the subtitles and click through the dialogues. I mean, it's three times faster right? It's what I do all the time.

It's too bad there isn't some way to track this in Q&A. I bet they skip the voice acting too and the whole exercise is a waste of resources that would be better spent improving the graphics another 0.00037%.

Sounds almost as if they had learned a thing or two from German publishers. Like for Drakensang 1 & 2 , where "German voices" of well-known, in part american actors were used for the games.

No, Bethesda has been doing this for years.

They really need to spend less on voice acting and more on QA.

The amount of money these actors charge for only a few lines is just rediculous.. Sad. I wish they would put their money to better use :(

same with cutscenes, im sure there are quite a few games where those costs are just as big as the game itself (the parts you _play_ i mean).

Trejo! Sweet.

Actually, Fallout and Fallout 2's casts were pretty similar in that they were high-budget and 'starry'. Also, at least some of these actors have already done some roles in the older games, and at least half of them have experience in voice acting, and videogame voice acting too.

I hope that the variety among NPCs isn't going to suffer as a result of them blowing the voice acting budget on celebrities. I'd rather each NPC had a unique voice, instead of just the important characters.

Well, I think this is awesome, and if any of the actors / actresses should peruse these humble boards, Thank You!
I DO listen to the voices and it does enhance the mood tremendously. I'm sorry that so many of you are just too impatient to actually enjoy the good things in life.
As far as the expense, I honestly believe that the game gains back what it expends on that over the life of the product, and it enhances the appeal of the game to newcomers.
I for one, can't wait to have 'Machete' as a companion! How cool!

I know that professional quality "session" voice actors can be very adept and impersonate various voices with great realism, this can cut recording costs dramatically - they usually are not well known as celebrities.
However, where game pre-release hype and such is of great spotlight seeking importance, then the celebrity name dropping is deemed as a vitally essential sales potential strategy- my postman can churn out some amazing lingo twangs but then he isn't well known.
What makes me smile is the assumption that bigger/more celebrity name dropping will result in a bigger shooting star success for the game, all before it is even released.

Lots of information in that and yet the only part that sticks in my head is "Wooo, Marcus!".

Mr. Las Vegas in a game about Vegas? How appropriate.

:-o hehehe…Oh Sweet Jeebers! I really think that frittering away money on 'stars' for something like in-game voices is a phenomenal waste of game dev budget. Unless they do it for peanuts of course? I must admit that voice can add to the atmosphere, but you do not need to hire high profile actors - there are always starving drama students who'd willingly do it for their CV - and the better ones are pretty damn good. I work at a university, and I could probably find a dozen with an ad posted in the relevant dept. I mean, to get official credit on a AAA game? They're just snobs.

Back
Top Bottom