Skyrim - Why It Might Not Be Worth Your Time

Talk about jumping to conclusions prematurely…

Interestingly, exactly this is issued in an editorial in the newest issue of the German computing magazine called "c't" ... The editorial relates mostly on technical "innovations" - and on new products in general - but I instantly knew I had seen this somewhere ... On internet forums discussing games ...

Both games were great and both had issues, just different ones. Funny how Morrowind has developed over time into this mythical best game ever. Great plot and story, but game balance was terrible and the combat was even worse. At level 35 my conjurer was basically a God, 40 hours or so in if I recall. Played Oblivion, flaws and all for 100 hours at least before getting bored.

Again both great games and both pretty flawed.

I agree. It was a great game but even before 35 my charactor was a God. I've actually never finished the because of that.

Saying that they are using a new engine doesn't mean it is going to be good or all that different but at least they have a better chance of fixing long standing issues that they have had because of the Gamebryo engine.

I agree. It was a great game but even before 35 my charactor was a God. I've actually never finished the because of that.

And this is why they introduced the level scaling that was in Oblivion, over the one in Morrowind. Being god at level 35 in Morrowind wasn't the problem, the fact there was no enemy higher than level 35 in the game was. The level "cap" was ~55…

Wrong complains bring the wrong fix.

Talk about jumping to conclusions prematurely…

Yep.

Bethesda could surprise us all and instead of following up their most successful Elder Scrolls game to date with a similarly structured/designed sequel, they could actually make a compelling, unique, original game like Morrowind (flaws and all).

But why do I have a feeling Oblivion will be the template? They'll possibly dumb it down even more (no skills to select from, it will become an adventure/FPS!) and sell millions of copies.

If I were you I'll be more scared of the Elder Scrolls of turning into Fallout 3 (not New Vegas). There is actually people who want that to happen in the official ES forum: adding VATS, slo-mo, perks, etc...

See, I can agree the Morrowind setting was more interesting but the combat (and stealth) were dreadful for me. The most un-reactive first-person action combat I've ever played. Oblivion's combat has more weight and the stealth was pretty good. I also felt the side-quests were far more creative; there's nothing in Morrowind as enjoyable as the Brotherhood quest chain in Oblivion.

I agree that combat sucked in Morrowind but it still felt RPGish. I had no problem with swinging my sword and making no contact, knowing that my low Blades skill was affecting the outcome. Oblivion's combat, while viscerally and technically improved, felt more FPS or action game-ish.

And yes, overall the quests were improved in Oblivion as well, but with the awful writing/dialogue/voice acting, it was something like one step forward, one step back.

Morrowind just felt magical. I remember being ridiculously AWED at every new town/sight. It was just a wondrous feeling to roam the land, everything so alien. It truly felt like "another world". Whereas Oblivion was cookie cutter fantasy. Pretty and polished, sure. But nothing unexpected. I didn't feel like an outsider.

Everything from the Census office to the first few side quests in Seyda Need to finding Caius Cosades and going on a few missions before the main quest opens up just felt so organic and drew you into the game.

Compare that to Oblivion's opening where you meet the EMPEROR(!) in prison(!) and were entrusted with an amulet because you were the chosen one (!)! How were you supposed to engage in side quests knowing you had to close up those gates NOW NOW NOW!?

In Morrowind Caius tells you to go around and do a few jobs to earn some experience before he sends you on the bigger quests. It just makes more sense.

And back to quests: they WERE improved in Tribunal and Bloodmoon if I recall correctly. And those were probably the best expansion packs to any game I've ever played (even if I didn't exactly finish either).

Morrowind provides no constraints save your own commitment, ingenuity and imagination. Its world reacts to your presence in ways a game like Oblivion - a game that plays it safe - couldn't possibly be capable of.
Funny, since it's one of the most frequently mentioned flaws of Morrowind: having barely any consequences of your actions.

if the game is okay for 13 year olds then it will not be okay for me , 0.1% generic shit still not okay with me , i ll probably pirate it but i am not going to buy it before play for +30 hours and be sure that it isn't crap like oblivion.

Of course i am going to pirate all dlcs like i do in every game, if i love it and they release a dlc pack (like in koN DVD) i ll buy.
Beth has to suck it for destroying my dreams for tes4 and revenge is a plate better served cold

People who point to Morrowind as the best in series are usually the same people who's first TES experience was Morrowind.

If it was Daggerfall, then that was the best.

If it was Oblivion, then that was the best.

It's funny how consistent this pattern has held over the years.

Well, this is pretty par for the course around here I guess.

Morrowind had a great back story and atmosphere but was a chore to play. Anyone remember trying to kill cliff racers with a bow and arrow? Terrible combat that was stupidly, punishingly hard at the start, then became stupidly easy later on. NPCs were more like information kiosks than people. And I LIKED Morrowind.

Oblivion had problems, and yes there was a console version. But you all do know there was a console version of Morrowind also, right?

I enjoyed playing Oblivion and Morrowind. They were different from each other. And Skyrim will be different from OB and MW. Why is this bad?

I really don't know why people like to complain about games so much, but there it is. I thought this was a site for fans of games when I first came here. Now I know it's pretty much the opposite.

If Bethesda can do a decent campaign for once I will probably buy it.Most of the time is just endless exploring with dull quests.They shown the same design flaws in oblivion and fallout 3.

As long as they release an editor fans can fix it. It's the thing that can make their games great, worthy of tens and hundreds of hours.

Now if they would only hire real writers and more than 5 voice professionals. Also if they would please shoot who ever came up with level-scaling and repetitive dungeons, that would be nice.

I spent over 300 hours in Morrowind. About 100 on the original game and expansions, and 200 on mods and total conversions.

I spent MAYBE 30 hours in Oblivion. Generic story and world, horrible consolized interface, less than half the amount of armor types, axes blunt weapons?, everything carebear safe... just freaking horrid.

With the way things have been going (see Gothic 4) I have no hope for Skyrim being a decent non-dumbed down game. But I suppose there could always be a miracle.

A new engine would be nice. IIRC, every TES game used a new engine and thus had a different feel. It would be a shame to see the technology stagnate only because there is no next generation of consoles.

People who point to Morrowind as the best in series are usually the same people who's first TES experience was Morrowind.

Not for me. For me Daggerfall was the first TES "game" (using that term very loosely here with regard to that travesty of graphical malware) and if I still owned the PC I originally installed that piece of shit on then I'd consider paying damages to my PC for exposing it to the radiant idiocy that emanated from inside the box even.
Well, yeah. That's how much I enjoyed Daggerfall :biggrin: .

Then I should like Arena best, but I barely remember it. :)

When I first tried Oblivion, I was so disappointed I wanted to scream. I'd just come off years of Morrowind and didn't like any of the changes in Oblivion. I went over to the ES forums, vented my spleen, and quickly moved on to other games.

About six months later, nothing was out and I was bored. Oh well, let's give Oblivion another try. Not expecting much, I fired it up, and I haven't stopped playing it since then. I just spent a few hours this afternoon on a game that's creeping up to 300 hours, and I plan to play through one more time before Skyrim comes out.

Skyrim won't be Morrowind or Oblivion. It will be different. If I start it up and hate it, I won't be so quick to give up on it (and I certainly won't vent on the ES forums!).

I Loved Morrowind!!! It blew me away .I attempted to play Oblivion GOTY three different times and failed . I wanted to like it the graphics were awsome it was just sooooo boring. I have a really good feeling about Skyrim, i think Bethsada will go back to the roots of Morrowind.

Back
Top Bottom